Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please post the link of the statistics provided by UCAS of the most popular universities i.e. which universities recieves the most applications.

I know there was one in the Guardian a few months ago but I jsut can't seem to find it cheers.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to find the appropriate link somewhere on this site: http://www.ucas.com

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about most popular, but LSE had the highest number of applicants per places offered, with something like 12.5 applicants for every one place they had.

ReputationRep:
    exeter used to be in the 10 most popular unis until it closed 3 of its departments.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester this yr had the most apps overall, not relative to places tho but they had 62000 applications.

ReputationRep:
    The stats that unis provide of applicants per place can be misleading if you don't know how to interpret the figures properly. Every student applies to 6 universities, and then depending upon which unis make them offers, they decide on a first choice and an insurance choice. The other four unis from their six choices then fall out of the picture. Therefore, for example in LSE's case, they probably make lots of straight AAA conditional offers, but many students who apply to LSE will have applied to Oxford or Cambridge and will make Oxford or Cambridge their first choice. Their insurance choice is unlikely to be LSE, as they will probably choose an AAB or ABB insurance choice. LSE then falls out of the picture. Many students know which one or two of the six they are likely to choose if made an offer (depending on e.g. location, proximity to home, course choices within the degree) , and would never have seriously considered actually going to all of the six choices. So don't be put off by academics telling you that there are 20 applicants per place, as not all 20 will choose their institution as first or second choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna2)
    The stats that unis provide of applicants per place can be misleading if you don't know how to interpret the figures properly. Every student applies to 6 universities, and then depending upon which unis make them offers, they decide on a first choice and an insurance choice. The other four unis from their six choices then fall out of the picture. Therefore, for example in LSE's case, they probably make lots of straight AAA conditional offers, but many students who apply to LSE will have applied to Oxford or Cambridge and will make Oxford or Cambridge their first choice. Their insurance choice is unlikely to be LSE, as they will probably choose an AAB or ABB insurance choice. LSE then falls out of the picture. Many students know which one or two of the six they are likely to choose if made an offer (depending on e.g. location, proximity to home, course choices within the degree) , and would never have seriously considered actually going to all of the six choices. So don't be put off by academics telling you that there are 20 applicants per place, as not all 20 will choose their institution as first or second choice.
    but with 20apps per place, yes they dont give out the exact numbe rof offers as ther on the course but you can safely say, a course where there wer 20 apps per place, will have a lot less chance of an offer than a course 2 apps per place.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting stuff. A university like Cambridge only has 4 applicants per place, but 90 percent of those applicants will have 3 or more A's at A-level.

This is usefull but i wouldnt use it too much when deciding on how difficult a course/uni is to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    Manchester this yr had the most apps overall, not relative to places tho but they had 62000 applications.
    Leeds also seems to be incredibly popular...

ReputationRep:
    Big city universities which offer a wide variety of courses and will often be someones 2nd/3rd choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    Leeds also seems to be incredibly popular...
    Yes, Leeds is a very popular uni. It had about 55,000 applications and I've heard that in some departments like history and English, there're about 10 appliciations per place. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    Yes, Leeds is a very popular uni. It had about 55,000 applications and I've heard that in some departments like history and English, there're about 10 appliciations per place. :eek:
    I could've sworn I'd heard it was more than that... though I might be wrong. My brother was rejected from there for Fine Art, despite having pretty much a fantastic application.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe LIPA's 3rd on that list.....oh well, if you don't try you don't get in I guess! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    I could've sworn I'd heard it was more than that... though I might be wrong. My brother was rejected from there for Fine Art, despite having pretty much a fantastic application.

Really? :confused: What are the stats then?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't remember exactly... but I've heard that the applicants/places ratio for the most popular courses at the most popular universities tend to be pretty crazy. Some have as many as 30 applicants per place, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Music colleges, especially the RAM and RCM, can also be quite crazy.

It seems the unis that are seen as very good but not really hard to get into (i.e. not Oxfrod and Cambridge) have the highest application rates.

University of Buckingham?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.