Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which is the more prestigious of the two, the University of East Anglia or the University of Sheffield?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    Which is the more prestigious of the two, the University of East Anglia or the University of Sheffield?
    Depends on which subject. More people will have heard of Sheffield, but UEA is up and coming in the league tables, although most people don't know where it is!

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    Depends on which subject. More people will have heard of Sheffield, but UEA is up and coming in the league tables, although most people don't know where it is!
    I'm hoping to do either Maths or Maths with a foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    Based on nothing but what I think, Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    comign from a guy applying to both UEA and Shef, (albeit for Law) I would say Sheffield in purely terms of prestige and not of preference becuase it is a redbrick uni.

ReputationRep:
    UEA i'd have thought, although I didn't like UEA when i went on an open day, and I lived near Sheffield so wouldn't have gone there.

ReputationRep:
    are any of them prestigious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Sheffield :
    The University is a member of the Russell Group, the European University Association, the Worldwide Universities Network and the White Rose University Consortium.The University of Sheffield is rated 8th in the UK, 18th in Europe and 65th in the world in an annual academic ranking of the top 500 universities worldwide published in August 2005.It was also named the Sunday Times University of the Year in 2001. It is also a redbrick university.

UEA:
    Academically, it has been one of the more successful universities founded in the 1960s, consistently ranking amongst Britain's top higher education institutions; Joint 1st in the National Student Survey 2006 and 23rd in the The Times Good University Guide 2007, above that of Manchester, Birmingham, Reading, Newcastle, Sheffield and Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    For Maths I would say Sheffield. Unless you desperately want a campus university and are particularly fond of concrete!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    UEA is up and coming in the league tables, although most people don't know where it is!
    That seems to be the main problem. UEA is pretty well respected in a number of areas like Environmental Science, Law and Computing Sciences though.

I'd come to an open day and have a look, its not all about prestige.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    That seems to be the main problem. UEA is pretty well respected in a number of areas like Environmental Science, Law and Computing Sciences though.

I'd come to an open day and have a look, its not all about prestige.
    oh yeh on preference after goin to both places its all about UEA lol, but that becuase i prefer proper campus uni's.

ReputationRep:
    didnt kno uea was up and coming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    Sheffield :
    The University is a member of the Russell Group, the European University Association, the Worldwide Universities Network and the White Rose University Consortium.The University of Sheffield is rated 8th in the UK, 18th in Europe and 65th in the world in an annual academic ranking of the top 500 universities worldwide published in August 2005.It was also named the Sunday Times University of the Year in 2001. It is also a redbrick university.

UEA:
    Academically, it has been one of the more successful universities founded in the 1960s, consistently ranking amongst Britain's top higher education institutions; Joint 1st in the National Student Survey 2006 and 23rd in the The Times Good University Guide 2007, above that of Manchester, Birmingham, Reading, Newcastle, Sheffield and Exeter.
    i dont doubt that they are good universities, but i dont know if any of those stats really points to prestige. exeter is 18th in the sunday times tables, above both sheffield and uea and i wouldnt call exeter prestigious. the russell group is a group of big universities rather than an elite group (hence why universities such as exeter, st andrews, durham, york, bath, lougborough etc are missing). the white rose consortium sounds a bit naff - just a regional hub of local universities (though i could be wrong because i havent looked), and there are plenty of plate glass and redbrick universities out there which dominate the top 20 more than sheffield and uea.

i suppose a lot of this is down to perception

ReputationRep:
    i dont doubt that they are good universities, but i dont know if any of those stats really points to prestige. exeter is 18th in the sunday times tables, above both sheffield and uea and i wouldnt call exeter prestigious. the russell group is a group of big universities rather than an elite group (hence why universities such as exeter, st andrews, durham, york, bath, lougborough etc are missing). the white rose consortium sounds a bit naff - just a regional hub of local universities (though i could be wrong because i havent looked), and there are plenty of plate glass and redbrick universities out there which dominate the top 20 more than sheffield and uea.

i suppose a lot of this is down to perception
    lol i just tok it str8 from Wiki so as to not let my own preferences get in the way lol.

ReputationRep:
    hehehe i think you are not alone on this forum for referring to wiki etc.

makes an interesting read though...

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to UEA, but I've been to Sheffield (the place, not the uni) quite a few times, and IMO it is GRIM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ89)
    I've never been to UEA, but I've been to Sheffield (the place, not the uni) quite a few times, and IMO it is GRIM.
    oh it is grim, but when youve got a combined total between 40 and 50,000 students form both uni's it makes the city less grim lol.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was that grim, nice town centre area. Or did I not explore enough?

ReputationRep:

well, they're both good unis so yes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2010

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.