Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOxe)
    I didn't think it was that grim, nice town centre area. Or did I not explore enough?
    the outskirts of the city can eb a bit grim evne jsut on the otuskirts of the city centre you jsut have to know where to go. Its like any city liek Birmingham or Leicester all have their grim bits situated jsut outside of the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield's not that grim. Although at the moment I seem to be living inside a cloud. It really depends on the course as different unis are good for different things. I really didn't want to go to a campus uni, so that had quite a lot of influence over my applications too.

ReputationRep:
    Neither are considered top or world class uni's i'd say but they are both good uni's who perform consistently well in League tables.

ReputationRep:
    It's the big old industrial buildings that make it grim. For example there's a building by the Hallam FM arena - just looking at it makes you feel as if you're in the 40's :p:

The whole plae just *feels* grey.

ReputationRep:
    RJ you remind me of benjamin grosvenor...:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know who that is, but a Google image search did NOT please me :p:

ReputationRep:
    LOL...I didn't say you were the spitting image of him!

ReputationRep:
    UEA: I live in Norwich - its a great place to be a student. Not the biggiest city, but a city none the less. Very high student satisfaction, says it all. Lots of development over past 10 years - great shopping, got character, and loads of pubs!!

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with the comments on Sheffield. Only you can make your mind up, go and see it!

ReputationRep:
    I would go out and take some photos of Sheffield to prove it's not grim, if only it'd stop being rainy and foggy...
    No seriously (seriosuly!), I'm not a fan of cities, and really liked campus unis. Yet the course at Sheffield was what I wanted, so here I came, and I'm surprised how pleasent it is. It seems to have more than it's fair share of picturesque areas when it comes to cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brak3n)
    I would go out and take some photos of Sheffield to prove it's not grim, if only it'd stop being rainy and foggy...
    No seriously (seriosuly!), I'm not a fan of cities, and really liked campus unis. Yet the course at Sheffield was what I wanted, so here I came, and I'm surprised how pleasent it is. It seems to have more than it's fair share of picturesque areas when it comes to cities.

To be honest I'm not bother about the grimness of either city, I'm more concerned about the prestige of both universities.

UEA is definately up and coming and has high requirements for many subjects, to do Modern History, I had to get AAB. From my point of view, I love the campus and the teaching is top class. Its up to you, visit both meet lecturers-only you can see what is best for you. It maybe useful noting that UEA came top in this years student satisfaction survey. As someone ho has lived near Norwich all my life, it is a lovely city, but you have to come and see it, it is not a social deadspot-its such a stereotypical view of Norwich and Norfolk in general.

ReputationRep:
    i think both are good but sheffield's prob a bit more prestigious...depends a bit on the course prob as well though, and you have to decide whether you want a campus or city uni... just because one uni is more prestigious or whatever doesn't mean you'll necessarily be happier there, if it doesn't really offer what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    To be honest I'm not bother about the grimness of either city, I'm more concerned about the prestige of both universities.
    In which case I would say Sheffield (surprise surprise), as I wasn't even aware of UEA's existance, and I thought I did rather extensive research when looking into what unis to apply to.
    Judging by other people's opinions, both are probably better than they're given credit for. Durham, on the other hand, I would say falls very short of expectations.

ReputationRep:
    Norwich is a lovely place, and the UEA is highly regarded, apparently...

There is plenty to do in Norwich, there is a wide range of pubs and clubs, especially down the riverside, and the university is not too far from the city centre. There are plenty of cinemas and the Norwich Arts Centre is a good place to go and see different bands/singers. It also has 2 good shopping centres (the Castle Mall and Chappelfields) :P

Also, you're quite central to many cities via the train/bus stations.

Okay, so I am from Norfolk, so I am biased, lol, but Norwich is a lovely city, and I really do recommend it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkfairy753)
    If you take a look on their site, the accommodation looks really nice Cheap prices too
    Thats the first time i've ever heard UEA accomodation described as cheap...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    Thats the first time i've ever heard UEA accomodation described as cheap...
    The accomodation is a lot cheaper than what I'm paying. For this term, I've had to pay £1500, the second term is £1466 and the third term is £827... Making a grand total of £3,759 plus food as I'm going self-catered.

ReputationRep:
    My opinions is that you should stay well away from norwich, I was at uni there last year and while i had a great bunch of freinds and had a good laugh norwich was just a hole. While on the other hand I spent about 3 months living in halls in sheffield hallam university and on the outside sheffield appears even more grim. it was a whole lot more lively and the northern peopless were alot more fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petrus)
    My opinions is that you should stay well away from norwich, I was at uni there last year and while i had a great bunch of freinds and had a good laugh norwich was just a hole. While on the other hand I spent about 3 months living in halls in sheffield hallam university and on the outside sheffield appears even more grim. it was a whole lot more lively and the northern peopless were alot more fun.
    :eek:

Norwich is lovely. It's full of culture, and it has some really good pubs and clubs.

ReputationRep:
    bump.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2010

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.