Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirl03)
    :eek:

Norwich is lovely. It's full of culture, and it has some really good pubs and clubs.
    I agree. It has charm and has some great facilities like the forum, and uea has the sportspark (massive/new) and lcr (great music venue) which are amazing considering they're on campus!

ReputationRep:
    like i said i'm too bothered about the scenery of the cities. I' more concerned about the universities prestiege.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    like i said i'm too bothered about the scenery of the cities. I' more concerned about the universities prestiege.
    i now hold offers at Sheffield and UEA lol and i prefer my Sheffield offer over UEAs lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    Don't be. Choose a city you'll like...

And imo UEA is waaaay better than Sheffield! I've been to both as a visitor for a weekend and I loved Norwich...It's great...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    Don't be. Choose a city you'll like...

And imo UEA is waaaay better than Sheffield! I've been to both as a visitor for a weekend and I loved Norwich...It's great...

vut, i've visted both as well and liked them equally so now I'm basing my choice on which uni has the 'wow factor' with employers and which uni looks better on my CV.

ReputationRep:
    They're much of a muchness in terms of this 'prestige' thingy.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of prestigiousness I think most people would have you believe that Sheffield is the better of the two, but I doubt there's that much in it to be honest.

If you go to UEA you're a bit cut off from the rest of the UK by road since it is out in the sticks a little bit, though saying that London is only about 150 miles away, which is handy. When I visited Sheffield I thought it was a bit of a hell hole. I'm probably biased about Norwich but I do think it's a lovely city: low crime rate, plenty to do and nice people.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield

At the end of the day, its only opinion on here. You have visited them which is the first step. Now you have got to examine tables-both the subject and university in general and maye research and student satisfaction leagues. If you have visited them, was one better or the choice of units? or did you like the lecturers better? Its all up to you, we can only tell you our own personal opinions and you will not gain anything from asking on here.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Well I have heard of both I understand you are concrned as to there rep but from experiamce Id said be sire to pick the one you like dont convince yourself you like one when you dont.
    Im dont disputing that its important to look at a unis rep but at the end of the day when you go to a job interview they will be intrested in you as a person and how youll fit into a team, if you have a intresting looking CV or can impress a emplyeer over the phone of do a year in industry those will coun too,
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    There isn't enough difference between the reputation of these universities to give either one a wow factor over the other, they both have solid reputations and award excellent degrees. What employers will be looking for is what you did while you were there, what distinguishes you from all the other redbrick mathematics graduates that are out there. People place a disproportionate amount of emphasis on the 'prestige' of the university, the university doesnt do your work for you.

For what it's worth I would go for sheffield out of the two, but not in terms of academic rep, but based on where I would rather be they are very very different styles of university(I went for Leicester because it was in between a campus and city univ, best of both worlds ).

ReputationRep:
    Yup - they are both fairly similar in league tables.

Plus UEA has one of the highest student satisfaction levels in the whole country. Says it all to me

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield, just because it's my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gems_like_whoa)
    Sheffield, just because it's my first choice.
    I think they would have made their mind up by now seen as they asked the question two years ago!

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield deffinately! It's a Russell Goup uni, allows unrestricted modules, a good opportunity to study abroad, and excellent student union! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echolife)
    I think they would have made their mind up by now seen as they asked the question two years ago!
    They may have changed their mind two years later, now they know I am going Sheff.

Haha, no, I didn't read the date!

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is over 100 years old.
    UEA is over 40.

I applied to both - chose Sheffield 'cos its further away. (Norwich is only 1 hour from me - would seem silly being so close)

Imagine a massive lump of concrete, times it by 10, then you get the UEA, it ugly as hell.
    Sheffield's in the city, and it looked much nicer.

Both have great shopping centres nearby, which helps, but Sheffield, being up north, is a somewhat cheaper place to live.

Sheff all the way.

The University of Sheffield without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know how people manage to bump topics this old (unless for a specific reason, obviously). What kind of browsing habit would lead you to not notice the date?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2010

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.