Can boys and girls just be friends? Watch

Goody24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am dating a girl at moment and i am uncomfortable with amount of guy friends she had, can boys and girls just be friends? ie(no sexual contact etc)
Shadoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Goody24)
I am dating a girl at moment and i am uncomfortable with amount of guy friends she had, can boys and girls just be friends? ie(no sexual contact etc)
No we are biologically hard-wired to find mates if they are suitable mates anything could be going on unless she is lesbian.
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes /thread
Eboracum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Generally No. I think only if there is no lust from either side. If I have a friend that is a girl but I want her to be more, I'd end the friendship as it's too awkward and often soul destroying seeing her with other guys.

Your case is different, as you already have the girl. Hard to know what to say. Generally I'd prefer my girlfriend to have mainly (or ideally almost exclusively) female friends, or male friends that I would not consider a threat. If she had male friends who I felt were a challenge to me, either in terms of looks, personality, or if they were better with women, I'd really find that uncomfortable.

Men are competitive animals. And they compete for all things, women included.
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
Yes, of course.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I imagine so.
_Charlotte15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
Every boy that I've been proper friends with (so that's like 5) I've fancied, so I'm going to lean towards no. But then, since you two are already in a relationship, it's clear she likes you more than any other boy she knows.
The question is: do you trust her?
No they can be friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
treetrunks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes. My best friend is a guy I met on my college course but I also have a boyfriend of 4 years. He has no problem with him because he knows we're just friends.
treetrunks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shadoo)
No we are biologically hard-wired to find mates if they are suitable mates anything could be going on unless she is lesbian.
Yes we're hard wired to find mates, but that doesn't mean that everyone we talk to is someone we want to mate with.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by _Charlotte15)
No they can be friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully.
One of my guy friends was going out with a girl and she got jealous of the friendship between me and her bf, so she dumped him. It was tough because I did nothing wrong, she hated me for simply being a girl.
IHTWFR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No

Posted from TSR Mobile
_Charlotte15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course, you can be friends with members of the opposite sex who you don't find sexually attractive.
Yungah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't want to offend anyone on this forum, but its really hard unless the girl that you are friends with is ugly.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Kandybars
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, definitely. It's just some silly people that take their friendships too far and then wonder why they have relationship problems. I have a lot of male friends, many of whom I consider best friends and get along with really well. Just because they're my friends, doesn't mean I have to cuddle them, sit on them, mess around with them, etc, basically flirting. I know a lot of people who do this casually with their friends of the opposite sex and I don't think it's right. It's definitely one of the reasons why people don't think boys and girls can ever just be friends. People cross the line when it's completely unnecessary. It may be hard to define "crossing the line" but I think in fairness, if you were in a relationship (which OP is) and your partner had a friend of the opposite sex, I think you'd know the sort of behaviour would make you jealous and what you'd deem unacceptable. Boys and girls can innocently be friends but if their relationship is a bit touchy feely it's completely justified to be a bit worried. If it's not, I suppose you would still have to worry about flirting non-physically and by text and stuff but if the flirting is not evident, I think you'd just have to trust her.

Even if people find their friends attractive, I suppose not acting on it is fine but I don't think the issue of boys and girls being friends applies to people if they're not in a relationship as they don't really have much to worry about. There's nothing to lose really. Just because someone fancies their friend, doesn't mean they'll like them back, they could be friendzoned or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CatnipGlows
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's ridiculous that some people think this, I had a male best friend for a couple of years and I never once thought about f****** him.. even the idea of it sickened me, because I could only see him as a friend. And he definitely only thought of me as a friend as well.
Ribbit1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes u can
David B
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by abbiemac)
It's ridiculous that some people think this, I had a male best friend for a couple of years and I never once thought about f****** him.. even the idea of it sickened me, because I could only see him as a friend. And he definitely only thought of me as a friend as well.
You cannot know this for sure.
CatnipGlows
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by David B)
You cannot know this for sure.
Well if not, he deserves an Oscar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads