Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently studying AS philosophy, history and government and Politics i have preivous qualifications within IT (coding+hardware) and want to pursue a career within the IT industry, would i be accepted onto a BSc Computer science? I am looking to go to essex uni.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, try Physics if you are up to the task.

ReputationRep:
    Maths for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalgangster)
    Hi,

I am currently studying AS philosophy, history and government and Politics i have preivous qualifications within IT (coding+hardware) and want to pursue a career within the IT industry, would i be accepted onto a BSc Computer science? I am looking to go to essex uni.
    What qualification and it depends on what grades you get .. Your current AS levels aren't even relevant..

Perhaps do AS Mathematics and Computing next year? If you're up for the challenge. It also depends on where you apply to...

ReputationRep:
    If possible, get an A-Level in Maths. If I were you I'd do a full Maths A-Level instead of an AS in Maths and Computing. Computing usually isn't a required subject whereas maths is.

[QUOTE=digitalgangster;51969117]Hi,

uuurm, most universities actually require you to do physics and maths AS level and some times even further maths, but don't worry there are many courses that have a foundation year if you hadn't done maths a level

ReputationRep:
    In order of university preference:

Further Maths
    Maths
    Computing
    Physics
    Other science subjects
    General Studies - Dont do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScruffyQuaver)
    In order of university preference:

Further Maths
    Maths
    Computing
    Physics
    Other science subjects
    General Studies - Dont do it
    I agree with Scruffy, these subjects show that you have the problem solving and logical deduction skills needed for CS.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Further Maths for the top tier unis, a bit lower down you'll be fine with just Maths A Level at grade A, mid-table unis don't always ask for maths but may prefer it along science related subjects, also some are fine with a mix of subjects as long as you get the grades/points required for entry. Computing can be useful, but usually not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, FM, Physics for sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 12, 2014

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.