Turn on thread page Beta

worth trying open uni or lower ranked one after failing? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an intellectual snob or anything like that. I'm a uni dropout and don't consider myself to be clever. This post might seem tmi but I need people to give advice suitable to my situation.

At 20 I got a schizophrenia diagnosis in the middle of a maths degree at Edinburgh uni. I was struggling already and studying little. Now I'm 22 and had to leave uni a few months ago. My new diagnoses are aspergers, social phobia, severe depression and psychotic symptoms (but possibly not schizophrenia ). I take 200mg sertraline daily and 10mg aripiprazole.

I had too many savings to claim ESA but have been put in support group even though I receive no money. I got 0 points on a pip assessment but was encouraged by a social worker to appeal the decision and that appeal is going on now.

I am volunteering at a cafe/shop for people who have had mental health trouble and are trying to get into work. I even find 3 hour shifts difficult, but have done full 9-5s there at times. I do this only on Mondays Wednesdays and saturdays right now and my only other commitment is the activities at the autism centre in my town. I have a live active referral coming through to get me fit.

I struggle with alcohol.and nicotine still.

I still get low and psychotic at times and have difficulty sticking to a schedule and motivating myself consistently. I feel like I'm a bit slowed down on medication.

I got high straight as the whole way through school and got dux of my high school and qualified for bmo1, but I don't feel like the same guy. I started my degree with second year entry but only finished one third of the third year before dropping out on the psychiatrist's orders.

Should I do open uni, Dundee uni or stirling uni or no uni? I regularly missed class last time I was there and hid in my room when I lived in Edinburgh and ended up having to commute from my hometown to edinburgh every day for uni.

The only way I can study now is to copy a textbook but this is too time consuming a method to get a degree.I can sometimes read novels though.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to ask the question "Am I well enough to return to university?" and you have to answer it honestly. I dropped out of university due to depression and made the mistake of returning too soon, only to drop out again. I've seen other people do the same. Going to a lower ranked university is no kind of safeguard if you are not going to attend lectures or complete assessed work.

Go work on a farm for a bit, go work in a bakery for a bit, go do a college course on photography or knitting, go do a bit of travelling, but most of all, focus on trying to get your health back to a position where you can return to university and be functional enough to not drop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I think you have to ask the question "Am I well enough to return to university?" and you have to answer it honestly. I dropped out of university due to depression and made the mistake of returning too soon, only to drop out again. I've seen other people do the same. Going to a lower ranked university is no kind of safeguard if you are not going to attend lectures or complete assessed work.

Go work on a farm for a bit, go work in a bakery for a bit, go do a college course on photography or knitting, go do a bit of travelling, but most of all, focus on trying to get your health back to a position where you can return to university and be functional enough to not drop out.
    Thanks

I forgot to say: stirling and.dundee are.very close.to home for me so commuting would be possible.

Will I know when I'm ready/if I'm ready?

ReputationRep:
    Well in your case I don't know what to suggest.

- You find it difficult to even work a 3 hour shift in a café.
    - For some reason you have elected to volunteer to work as opposed to doing paid work. Bless you for being a volunteer, but in your condition you frankly do not have the time to worry about anyone but yourself.
    - Activities at the autism centre? What's that all about?

What I'm trying to get at is the way you've currently described your lifestyle doesn't really match up with doing tertiary-level Maths at Edi. Even if you did graduate, what are you hoping to do with a degree when you can't work a 3 hour shift at a coffee shop?

Sorry if the message seemed insensitive I'm just trying to get a sense of what exactly you're planning to get out of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunu Bot)
    Well in your case I don't know what to suggest.

- You find it difficult to even work a 3 hour shift in a café.
    - For some reason you have elected to volunteer to work as opposed to doing paid work. Bless you for being a volunteer, but in your condition you frankly do not have the time to worry about anyone but yourself.
    - Activities at the autism centre? What's that all about?

What I'm trying to get at is the way you've currently described your lifestyle doesn't really match up with doing tertiary-level Maths at Edi. Even if you did graduate, what are you hoping to do with a degree when you can't work a 3 hour shift at a coffee shop?

Sorry if the message seemed insensitive I'm just trying to get a sense of what exactly you're planning to get out of this.
    No it's fair enough what you say. I volunteer because I have no references for paid work and a poor work history. I'm going to start work hopefully soon and the cafe I work at are going to help me. I can do 3 hour shifts. Did one today. Did a five hour one on Saturday.

It just takes a lot out of me and I'm not consistent enough in my health to do it.

What I want to get is a job I don't mind that will give me structure and money, and then help me to find a girlfriend at some point...might sound like a long shot but perhaps someone with similar problems would accept me idk.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think being clever and being at Uni imply each other. You might still be ''clever'' regardless if you went to Uni or not.

Make sure you stick with volunteering and other part time jobs; look for something that actually interests you and don't follow the crowd i,e studying something only because of the prestige.

Open Uni is great, you could do a part time course to see how you find it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    No it's fair enough what you say. I volunteer because I have no references for paid work and a poor work history. I'm going to start work hopefully soon and the cafe I work at are going to help me. I can do 3 hour shifts. Did one today. Did a five hour one on Saturday.

It just takes a lot out of me and I'm not consistent enough in my health to do it.

What I want to get is a job I don't mind that will give me structure and money, and then help me to find a girlfriend at some point...might sound like a long shot but perhaps someone with similar problems would accept me idk.
    Okay well bit of advice with the girlfriend thing. A lot of issues I see guys with autism having with girls and girlfriends is that they want one for comfort and support. IT'S A TRAP! - whatever the hell you do with your career, don't, for God's sake do this! You will naturally get a certain amount of comfort from being in a relationship, but looking for comfort as the primary attribute above sexual lust and chemistry is futile and will make you miserable.

ReputationRep:
    Only done a three hour shift at volunteering today and I'm knackered...I think social stuff really takes it out of me.

Can't take an interest in any activities right now.

ReputationRep:
    You should do your best. Sometimes destiny just plays tricks on us.

Don't give up on your fate. Universities are not heaven and those uni students are not saints.

People can live their happy lives without any degree.

Trying your best is such a great philosophy!

http://www.olaalaa.com/wp-content/up...university.jpg

http://www.funnfun.in/wp-content/upl...ny-picture.jpg
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2014
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.