Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icedout)
    Don't make the same mistake.
    Luckily I haven't, twice. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd only go to an ex-polytechnic if it was to do a vocational degree that the ex-poly had a really good reputation for. I wouldn't go to an ex-poly to do a mainstream academic subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icedout)
    Everyone I know who went to an ex-polytechnic has failed in life.
    That they've "failed in life" probably has a lot more to do with their attitude towards work (ie. lack of drive, naivety about the world of work, personal qualities unattractive to employers etc.) than it does does with a piece of paper that has the name of a former polytechnic on it. Qualifications get you through the door, but only your personal qualities and experience will help you from that point on.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt personally... but that's because ive worked so hard for my grades, and so i feel that i deserve to go to a top uni.

Also, doing law, it DOES matter for getting a job, at least in the legal profession anyway

ReputationRep:
    Moved from a poly to a traditional Uni. In all honesty, It's miles better where I am now.

ReputationRep:
    I would not go to an ex poly due to the fact i want to do civil engineering. I have no disliking or snooty attitude over them i just know that someone from bath, bristol or imperial would get jobs over me if I went to an ex poly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonbarmy)
    I would not go to an ex poly due to the fact i want to do civil engineering. I have no disliking or snooty attitude over them i just know that someone from bath, bristol or imperial would get jobs over me if I went to an ex poly.
    Because those universities have excellent civil engineering departments, not because they are traditional universities though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Because those universities have excellent civil engineering departments, not because they are traditional universities though.
    they're both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SplidgeSplodge)
    i wouldnt personally... but that's because ive worked so hard for my grades, and so i feel that i deserve to go to a top uni.

Also, doing law, it DOES matter for getting a job, at least in the legal profession anyway
    not so much for a solicitor these days, where i did my work experience this summer ther was a guy there who is qual'd now, who got his law degree from Bournemouth - i didnt even know bournemouth did law till i met him, but to be fair, the llb at bourne is pretty good looking at it lol. But he did that mid 90's when it want even 5yrs old. and hes a partner now.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Law llb at MMU and so far im loving it my other fancy was leicester but i was happy staying in Manchester and commuting. I also got offer for liverpool but the place wasnt for me. The offer for MMU was BBB i got ABB. I have to admit though, there is a lot of unnecessary arrogance towards ex-polys. I feel that if i keep focused and really push myself academically, that'll take me to where i want in life. I'll take over the legal world soon enough muahhaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebedee)
    they're both
    My point was that their reputation for civil engineering is much, much better than the ex-polys mentioned - their date of foundation and history is not really important after that.

ReputationRep:
    why bother asking on a student website where the majority of people attend oxford/cambridge or some other top 10 uni? As clearly you are not going to get an objective response. Obviously, my answer to your question is going to be yes as I attend one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheryl06)
    why bother asking on a student website where the majority of people attend oxford/cambridge or some other top 10 uni? As clearly you are not going to get an objective response. Obviously, my answer to your question is going to be yes as I attend one.
    Well thats the point, by asking people who go to those unis you can ask would they go to an expoly, theres no point hving a mojority of folk where they are all going to go expolys coz that would eb silly.

By asking people who go to top10unis is exactly who this question is aimed at. It is to gauge peoples views on expolys, and see that not everyone at oxford, thinks ox brookes is the scum of the earth or similar but the fact that they cna acknowledge that expoly excel in areas wehre traditional unis do not, and that had they needed to would they have gone to an expoly or not gone to uni at all, if they couldnt get into a top uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charisma)
    Hello Folks

People may say this is a dumb question, but it is something I would like to get your opinions on. A lot of people say it doesn't matter where yu get your degree from it is the same wherever you go, but some people say that this does matter.

A lot people say that people who attend polyrtechnics end up with a degree pretty worthless as they will never get high job in that field?

Are you really bothered about your school or is the course that interests you?
    I know some people don't even dare of applying to a polytechnic, some say they don't trust them

Please tell me what you think I would like to hear responses

Thanks

Charisma
    Well it depends on the course and what I wanted to do with it. But as a general rule I wouldn't go to an ex-poly if I could get in a "proper" uni.....

ReputationRep:
    The fact all these unis have thousands of students is indication that people would go to them. I think you should go to where your grades are more apropriate and where you'll enjoy your time. An AAA student shouldn't be considering unis that only want BCC for example. So their answer will be no. I'm an AA and in UCAS points that's the same as CCC so I consider them. I may be applying to one or two. I'd rather go to a traditional uni because I feel I have the ability but I won't rule out ex-polys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth Leonhart)
    The fact all these unis have thousands of students is indication that people would go to them. I think you should go to where your grades are more apropriate and where you'll enjoy your time. An AAA student shouldn't be considering unis that only want BCC for example. So their answer will be no. I'm an AA and in UCAS points that's the same as CCC so I consider them. I may be applying to one or two. I'd rather go to a traditional uni because I feel I have the ability but I won't rule out ex-polys.
    As a mature student you should get in almost anywhere with AA and the right statement. I am studying CS at Sussex with a Cca (that is C at A level and C and A at AS level)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    besides, the stigma doesnt often exist outside in the real world, its just a tsr fantasy.
    I was going to say the same. I know plenty of people that went to ex-polys, and they are all doing very nicely. Some of them are lecturering at these 'top' universities you mention. Shock, horror. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    not so much for a solicitor these days, where i did my work experience this summer ther was a guy there who is qual'd now, who got his law degree from Bournemouth - i didnt even know bournemouth did law till i met him, but to be fair, the llb at bourne is pretty good looking at it lol. But he did that mid 90's when it want even 5yrs old. and hes a partner now.
    In the mid 90s law wasnt one of the most competetive subjects available, and there werent such a huge number of people with degrees. A degree will only get you your first job... so once he had his, he was into teh profession. Now, it IS about where you went (obviously there are exceptions) but i very much doubt taht youd find it easy to get a training contract at most larger firms with a Law degree from Bournemouth these days. The top law schools are churning out far mopre than they used to.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.