The Student Room Group

How did you decide on what course to do at Uni?

Did you decide by going through different course modules, what subjects you liked best, careers advisors?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*bump*
Reply 2
Since watching Jurassic Park (I was four at the time). Little changed and I am still aspiring to become a paleontologist.
I figured out what I wanted to do, I figured out what I should do to make money, and grudgingly settled for the latter.

At the moment, slitting my wrists feels more appealing than studying for an extra 4 years & then having -50,000GBP to my name at the age of 23, but whatever.
I think I've always known I've wanted to study Politics at the back of my head. However, I did go through the course list on the UCAS website in order to confirm my decision
I took law at a level and found studying the content really enjoyable. I also like reading and a complex and technical job like law appeals to me and my skillset complements this. The financial attraction and prestige of the job dosent hurt either :P
I did my first scuba dive when I was 13 and I knew then that I wanted to do marine biology
Reply 7
I always thought I was meant to go for medicine which unfortunately I didn't have the Ukcat score to get in. However I wanted to go to uni and I chose something related to medicine in a way or another so I chose medicinal chemistry as chemistry is my favourite subject. I am still determined to take a gap year if I get AAA and if not I will still apply to medicine as a postgraduate. It's about what you feel you can do for the rest of your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm studying politics at A-level and enjoying it , plus I find it interesting watching the political programmes , so I want to do it for the next 3 years
Its just knowing what you are good at and what you are not. Also what you can see yourself doing after ten years.
I just really enjoyed my subjects :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It's unfair that at such an early age we're lead to believe what we do at University it exactly what we should do for the rest of our lives.

Pick something you enjoy, or compromise with something you know you will enjoy in the end. What you learn so far as skills go is also important! There's always a way to change areas, and Graduate Schemes (you can find out about them all around the internet or at your careers department) find decent graduate level jobs regardless of your degree so you an at least get a start and may end up doing something you never dreamed of!
Original post by Катя
I figured out what I wanted to do, I figured out what I should do to make money, and grudgingly settled for the latter.

At the moment, slitting my wrists feels more appealing than studying for an extra 4 years & then having -50,000GBP to my name at the age of 23, but whatever.

What do you study and where?
Original post by lydiafoof
What do you study and where?

If I get AAB, I'll be starting at Leeds next year to study Chinese and Economics.
I was convinced that I would do an English degree from around the age of 5 or 6 and maybe eventually go into some sort of journalism, and idea which was sustained right up until this summer when I sat down to write my personal statement and everything. I realised that whilst I really enjoyed reading books and analysing language, I'd never been especially passionate about anything except the creative aspect and writing stuff myself, and that if I wanted to be a journalist, I might as well do a different degree that I still really enjoy and which will give me something to write about, which is why I'm actually doing a Politics degree. :smile: It was quite a sudden choice and there wasn't a specific process I went through to choose it as my degree.

(I hope what I've written has made at least a little bit of sense! >_<)
I've narrowed it down to my true passion if I get top grades, and something I think I would really enjoy if I get decent grades.
I always wanted to do either Maths or Physics at university. :smile:

However, I didn't get in (my grades were lower than expected) so got into Electronic Engineering at De Montfort University. :smile:

Now in my 2nd year and loving it! :smile:
Original post by krs122
Did you decide by going through different course modules, what subjects you liked best, careers advisors?

Hello!

Choosing a course can be a very long process but it is important that you choose the right one as you will be studying the subject for three or more years.

Perhaps start at what subjects you are really interested in and are good at. If you are academically brilliant in one subject but not interested in it, then it probably isn't the best idea to study it at uni. You don't want to be studying something that will make you miserable, no matter how good you are at it. It may be that the subject that you are most interested in is quite challenging, but as long as you are able to work through it then its fine. I think finding a balance between interest and ability is a good way to help you decide.

Modules were something that I looked at when choosing the university course. If you are looking to study a humanities subject, modules are very relevant when choosing, as you can to a certain extent make your course more personal to your interests. In the first year of doing a humanities degree at the University of Reading, a variety of different topics are introduced, helping you decide what interests you, so that you can choose your modules in third and final year. The wide choice of modules, is what made me choose the course. I have often found that someone studying the same degree has studied modules completely different to mine.

It can also be very different narrowing down your A Level or IB subjects to just one subject to study at university. If this happens, perhaps try looking at joint honour courses. I would definitely recommend doing one especially if you are torn between subjects! A joint honour degree allows you to learn different skills and applying your knowledge gained in one subject to the other can be very useful. You may be able to combine the two when doing your dissertation.

Perhaps take a look at the University of Reading's website with all the course information. Details of modules can also be viewed-http://www.reading.ac.uk/Study/ug/ug-courseatoz.aspx

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
Reply 18
Well I'd loved music all my life, but went through lots of different career choices as I grew up until I really had to start thinking at college what sort of career I wanted which was realistic. Decided I'd do a music course because it covers lots of different areas, one of which is composition which is my favourite. I'm probably doing a PGCE after as well because it links in well with my course. I'm in my final year and I don't regret choosing it! :smile:
Original post by spotify95
I always wanted to do either Maths or Physics at university. :smile:

However, I didn't get in (my grades were lower than expected) so got into Electronic Engineering at De Montfort University. :smile:

Now in my 2nd year and loving it! :smile:

Hows student life at De Montfort? I'm thinking of applying for pharmacy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending