The Student Room Group

How did you decide on what course to do at Uni?

Scroll to see replies

I just thought of what I enjoy the most and actually love studying, which is philosophy. This time last year, I thought about combining it with psychology as I kinda wondered about what philosophy would lead to by itself but I'm not too concerned about it now and I think it's the perfect degree for me. After doing psychology & philosophy at summer school, unlike everyone else I was with, I really enjoyed the philosophy seminars and found them thought-provoking whilst the psychology ones often sent me to sleep. Although I consider it my hardest subject, I realised I have absolutely no interest in it and no desire to learn about why people behave in certain ways. I'm happy to accept that human beings are complex creatures and move on! :biggrin: If I ever had to study it at university level, I think I'd be writing my suicide note. After having established that I wanted to do philosophy, I realised that the degree itself gives the opportunity to develop skills that can be useful for the future. Despite this, I still want to study it because I genuinely enjoy it and want to continue my journey of discovery for 3-4 years. I don't know what I want to do after uni...maybe do a post-grad? teach? something else? but I know I'll enjoy philosophy and it's an opportunity I wouldn't want to let slide.
I had been studying biomedical sciences at college just before uni so biology seemed like the next move and I do love biology. A year into my degree however, I have decided to switch to astronomy instead.
I thought about what I enjoyed and what I could potentially follow as a career. I wanted to do something with photography or psychology initially but somehow I convinced myself that they wouldn't lead to good careers, so I thought of alternatives and I knew I liked animals. I thought it would be kind of cool to do something relating to that. Vet medicine sounded pretty awesome but I didn't get in when I applied because I decided I wanted to do it too late (and on a bit of a whim to be honest). Fortunately I got into Bioveterinary science instead and that gave me a further 3 years to learn about animals in general and decide that vet medicine is what I really want to do (and it gave me time to get loads of work experience). So now I'm a final year Biovet currently applying to study vet medicine after I graduate this summer. :smile:

I really don't understand people who say they knew what they wanted to do since they were a toddler. How is it possible that a person knew they wanted to be something like an aerospace engineer, since the age of 3? Most people want to be unicorns or batman at that age! I didn't realise I wanted to work with animals until I had to go on a work placement during my GCSE's, and then I didn't even consider being a vet until I was applying to university during my A levels (by which time it was a bit late and I wasn't prepared for the battle)!

Also, sorry for the epically long answer (i tend to ramble on :tongue:)
It was a rushed decision based off of the fact my sisters went to University and I didn't want to let my parents down.
Original post by lydiafoof
Hows student life at De Montfort? I'm thinking of applying for pharmacy

From my experience it's definitely enjoyable! I haven't been to any of the clubs (not that sort of person) but it's only a few minutes from the city centre which I find extremely convenient :smile:

I'd definitely consider De Montfort :smile:
I was going to do Biology because I have always enjoyed it since Year 7. I don't mind dissections but I got really into animal rights and what not and I refused to do a Rat dissection at school. Also I did not very well at AS biology so I had to drop it. Now I have applied to do Psychology and have got 4 offers!!! Its my second favourite subject after Biology.
Original post by Spock's Socks
I had been studying biomedical sciences at college just before uni so biology seemed like the next move and I do love biology. A year into my degree however, I have decided to switch to astronomy instead.

How does Astronomy differ to Astrophysics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
From a personal perspective, I chose something I enjoyed doing. Studying something for 3 or 4 years of your life is a big decision at 16/17, but I'm very passionate about choosing something YOU have an interest in. It shouldn't be something you are edged into. Picking a university which has flexible options will be really beneficial if you're undecided. Knowing you can switch degree if it's really not right for you does take the pressure off. I had a friend who started on Environmental Science as his Dad was a Geography teacher, but ended up taking an Economics module as one of his optional choices, loved it, changed his degree! He's just completed a Masters in Economics now and still loves it.

University isn't for everyone, and that's absolutely fine! But if you take a subject you have an interest in or a passion for, when you get to that final (stressful) year, at least you'll (hopefully) still find what you learn interesting! That's what I think is most important.

Charlotte (TSR Official QMU Rep)... and a bit of a softie!
I've changed my mind a ton of times on what I wanted to study. But when I was around 11 or 12, I was crazy about Ancient Greece and Egypt. A trip to Rome a couple of years ago was pretty life changing. When I found out I could study ancient history, I was sold.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics, Love of Airplanes & Aviation led me to Aerospace Engineering, something to contribute to tomorrow's flying. I enjoy every bit of it :smile: :smile:
I (eventually!) just decided to go with my heart and choose the subjects I loved :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by krs122
Did you decide by going through different course modules, what subjects you liked best, careers advisors?

Always had an eye for running my own business(es), like my Dad, and I admired the way he had a lifestyle that he enjoys and so I've always enjoyed business/economics, especially at A Level. Business & Management appeals to me at most unis, especially the modules.
I kinda listed the things I liked doing, and see what careers I can make out of them. It kinda went like this:

1. Think about what I like to do
2. Figure that I really liked games and art, but I can't do any programming and not good enough at math to code. So maybe as an artist and working to get commissioned for graphics in games
3. Looked at other people's artwork and decide that my art is s***, but it didn't matter because I was starting to dislike art during school.
4. Went to some websites that do quizes to help you chose the area of your future career that bests suits me. Turns our that I'm quite compatible with social services and mental health. I actually did some volunteer services during that time in a hospital and quite liked the experience
4. Searched "Most well paid health-related careers" (yes I'm shameless) and came to occupational therapist and psychologist
5. Kinda went with the notion that I wanted to become an occupational therapist. Turns out it took me a year to realise that the term I was looking for was psychologist/psychiatrist and that occupational therapy is different.
6. Spend the next year mentally slapping myself

I would love to have a career in like superpower research or the like, but since that doesn't exist the second best I've got is psychology XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending