Turn on thread page Beta

Media and Islam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that everything about terrorism is done by Muslims. Of course this is not the case; based on START, a global terrorism database, between 1970 and 2012 in the US, just 2.5% of all terrorist attacks were carried out by Muslims. Why do you think the media links Muslims with terrorism so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenpowdrell)
    It seems to me that everything about terrorism is done by Muslims. Of course this is not the case; based on START, a global terrorism database, between 1970 and 2012 in the US, just 2.5% of all terrorist attacks were carried out by Muslims. Why do you think the media links Muslims with terrorism so much?
    Because the attacks they do carry out have a significantly bigger fallout.

There's a slight difference between. PIRA setting off an incendiary device in a shop in the early hours if the morning and a group of religious zealots flying a plane into two towers in New York killing 3k people, I kidnapping a load of school girls.

ReputationRep:
    That is a fair point; I have been researching this and the Muslim attacks do seem more extreme.

ReputationRep:
    Now this is what I call misrepresentation of data. And you accuse media of that (how ironic!)

Let's see, sorting by fatalities you get this: linky

For the 21st century and for multi-victim attacks (above 2 dead) we have:

2001 Al Qa'ida, 2996 dead
    2009 Nidal Malik Hasan, 13 dead, recent convert to Islam
    2012 Wade Michael Page, 7 dead, white supremacist
    2002 Hesham Mohamed Hadayet, 3 dead, wanted to be a martyr, killed Israelis
    2010 Joseph Stack, 2 dead, hated IRS or something
    2009 Minutemen American Defense(?), 2 dead
    2008 Christian fundamentalist, 2 dead
    2001 anthrax letter (unknown), 2 dead
    2001 same as above
    2013 Boston marathon bombing, 4 dead

You will excuse people for being scared of Muslims when they have caused 3016/3033 = 99.4% of the victims in the last decade and a half! Compare that with the odd nutjob coming out of a 300 million strong nation!

By the way, it's interesting how peaceful it has become over the last decades. It's the same thing all over Europe as well. Compared to the 1970s when the US was buzzing with terrorist groups. That's exactly what's threatened by all these new-fangled Islamist terrorist groups. (Personally, I "blame" the internet and video games for this general peace)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it helps that the two biggest terrorist attacks in the Western World of recent years (9/11 and 7/7) were committed by Muslim extremists.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.