Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys! I am doing a research project about charities in the UK. It would mean a lot if you could leave here your opinion.

-Do you donate to charities? Why?
    -Which one(s)?
    -Do you investigate a charity before donating? Why/Why not?
    -Have you ever thought about the underlying intention of someone starting a charity?
    -Do you think most charities are genuine in what they are doing?
    -What do you think of those who start a charity not for charitable giving but for their own benefit? How can it be beneficial to them? How can they do it?

Please note that I am not against charities whatsoever, I admire those who fully dedicate themselves to helping others. But unfortunately, there are people who start a non-profit organisation with the wrong reasons, this is what this research is about.

-What reasons do you think I am talking about?
    -Have you heard about charity fraud? Tell me about it!

Thank you very much!!!! Please leave your view and opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I only donate to certain charities where I know my money will make a difference. If I donate to Oxfam I know there's a decent chance my donation will contribute to the CEO's six-figure salary or end up paying for the new Mercedes of a corrupt African despot.

I think there are very few charities which exist as purely altruistic organisations.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your contribution!

(Original post by tengentoppa)
    I think there are very few charities which exist as purely altruistic organisations.
    I totally agree with you!

ReputationRep:
    heya, I used to donate to charity back home but only on one I was very familiar with. I knew people work inside so it was very trustful. Otherway NEVER! I am sure there is charity that truly help others but is difficult to investigate and be sure. That is why I only donate money when I know very well the charity and the people.

I advice people who decide to donate to really investgate the charity because it is your money going to them. Call them, ask difficult questions, really investigate otherwise dont

Some people who start charity only want government help to fund them and the big ones only want money, their CEO are filfy rich!!! Be careful to who you donate!

ReputationRep:
    I believe you guys are generalising, not every charity is like this, they cant. They help people for goodness sake. What are you doing to help them? Dont question just let them do what they do best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    I only donate to certain charities where I know my money will make a difference.
    How do you know you are making a difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aanniieeee)
    I want to start donating to some charities but dont know where to start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aanniieeee)
    I give money to local charities where I have worked. Everyone who works there is a volunteer and there are minimal admin costs. Almost everything goes towards helping in need.

Local charities are the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsalsbfRP)
    -Do you donate to charities?
    Yes, but I no longer donate money. I now only donate my time.
    Why?
    To make the world a better place.
    To make me feel better about myself.
    To have something to put on my CV.
    To have something to talk about at interviews.
    To gain more life experiences and so make my life more interesting.
    To make new friends.
    To get new perspectives and hear different opinions on stuff.
    To help me change career.
    To gain additional references.
    Because my employer encourages their staff to volunteer.
    -Which one(s)?
    The Inland Waterways Association.
    The Centre for Alternative Technology.
    The Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace.
    The Warrington Peace Centre.
    The British Computer Society.
    The Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society.
    There have been others such as the RNLI.
    -Do you investigate a charity before donating? Why/Why not?
    Yes.
    Because I have finite resources and cannot do everything for everyone.
    Because some charities do not do work I value.
    Because some charities are inefficient.
    -Have you ever thought about the underlying intention of someone starting a charity?
    Frequently.
    -Do you think most charities are genuine in what they are doing?
    Hmm. Some are not. Some are. Many large charities only exist to keep the charity going.
    -What do you think of those who start a charity not for charitable giving but for their own benefit? How can it be beneficial to them? How can they do it?
    They are parasitic thieving criminal scumbags.
    It is beneficial by making them wealthy and increasing their standing in the community.
    They can do it because there are some nasty people out there.
    -What reasons do you think I am talking about?
    As above: lining their own pockets and giving the impression they are better people than they really are.
    -Have you heard about charity fraud? Tell me about it!
    Yes.
    A local charity shop where one staff member was pocketing the profits for over a year.
    Some of the working practices of some of the large charities are dubious at best. Legal, but unethical. Such as those collecting on the street keep a %age. They give the remainder to area managers who keep a %age. They pass what is left to regional controllers who keep a %age. They pass what they don't keep to HQ. All done as commission and all legal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.