Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The people voted for it, they should enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    I noticed mr Curran makes no reference to people having to use food banks because they've failed to budget or that they're an increasing social phenomenon throughout te western world that will still be with us even if we dramatically increased welfare spending.

What I find amazing is that me curran hasn't criticised the SNP in any of this even though they've had ample opportunity to get involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I noticed mr Curran makes no reference to people having to use food banks because they've failed to budget or that they're an increasing social phenomenon throughout te western world that will still be with us even if we dramatically increased welfare spending.

What I find amazing is that me curran hasn't criticised the SNP in any of this even though they've had ample opportunity to get involved.
    It seems you didn't pay attention to the reasons he gave, a big one being sanctions. Please tell me how job seekers are supposed to budget in to be able to afford food in the event they get sanctioned for 11 weeks and have literally no money. These people live paycheck to paycheck.

ReputationRep:
    Current economic policy is to ensure there is a large number of unemployed to keep wages down. You can't then complain that there is a large number of unemployed people :facepalm: This doesn't even take into account those who work and need to use food banks etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Current economic policy is to ensure there is a large number of unemployed to keep wages down. You can't then complain that there is a large number of unemployed people :facepalm: This doesn't even take into account those who work and need to use food banks etc
    Preach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    It seems you didn't pay attention to the reasons he gave, a big one being sanctions. Please tell me how job seekers are supposed to budget in to be able to afford food in the event they get sanctioned for 11 weeks and have literally no money. These people live paycheck to paycheck.
    Sanctions don't get handed out willy nilly.

There has to be a carrot and stick.

ReputationRep:
    Preach.
    The epitome of this crazy economics is workfare. Literally force people to work for nothing. Employer (who normally has friends in government) gets free labour and reduces the amount of paid employment on offer. This drives wages down even further due to the standing army of unemployed ever increasing. Smaller businesses can't compete with the giant chains with their slaves so offer less pay. In all of this the state has to step in and give people benefit money (since we haven't gone full on letting people starve like some third world country yet).

What is effectively happening is the state subsidizes the wages of working people that employers should be paying. The real benefit scroungers are the employers! Some of these big employers then pay next to no tax! They benefit from the state but refuse to contribute themselves. All the while the benefit scrounger narrative is created by the media and the people running the country to win votes for this shameless example of crony capitalism.

If the min wage doesn't exist people would probably be on something stupid like £1 an hour... and the problem would be even worse. Yet the min wage gets the blame and any talk of increasing it is met with extreme skepticism. Wage repression is whether manufactured or accidental is bad for everyone other than the few who benefit (in the short term) and even then in the long term there can be bad repercussions even for them.

It makes me so mad

(if you read all that all that and don;t think I am nutcase well done )

ReputationRep:
    Sanctions don't get handed out willy nilly.

There has to be a carrot and stick.
    Oh really? Have you heard some of the ridiculous reasons people have gotten sanctioned....or even been wrongly sanctioned (and by the way it takes weeks for those wrongly sanctioned to get their money back, what are they supposed to do in the mean time?) This is why we need food banks.

Here are some ridiculous sanction reasons for you:
    -Went to a job interview instead of a job centre appointment (job centre refused to change appointment slot)
    -or on the opposite side went to a job centre appointment instead of a job interview (seems you can't win).
    -Miss job centre appointment due to a close family members funeral
    -Arrive late to job centre appointment due to a job interview running later than it was supposed to, lose your benefits for a month
    -You get told to apply for a certain job online, go online and it has since expired. get sanctioned for 13 weeks

Are you kidding me? These are all things that have happened, and that was just a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    The epitome of this crazy economics is workfare. Literally force people to work for nothing. Employer (who normally has friends in government) gets free labour and reduces the amount of paid employment on offer. This drives wages down even further due to the standing army of unemployed ever increasing. Smaller businesses can't compete with the giant chains with their slaves so offer less pay. In all of this the state has to step in and give people benefit money (since we haven't gone full on letting people starve like some third world country yet).

What is effectively happening is the state subsidizes the wages of working people that employers should be paying. The real benefit scroungers are the employers! Some of these big employers then pay next to no tax! They benefit from the state but refuse to contribute themselves. All the while the benefit scrounger narrative is created by the media and the people running the country to win votes for this shameless example of crony capitalism.

If the min wage doesn't exist people would probably be on something stupid like £1 an hour... and the problem would be even worse. Yet the min wage gets the blame and any talk of increasing it is met with extreme skepticism. Wage repression is whether manufactured or accidental is bad for everyone other than the few who benefit (in the short term) and even then in the long term there can be bad repercussions even for them.

It makes me so mad

(if you read all that all that and don;t think I am nutcase well done )
    Read all of it an completely agree. I feel like we are turning into the US...and that's not in a good way.

ReputationRep:
    Interesing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otester)
    The people voted for it, they should enjoy it!

@ your profile picture...Whats with the all seeing eye?

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Have you heard some of the ridiculous reasons people have gotten sanctioned....or even been wrongly sanctioned (and by the way it takes weeks for those wrongly sanctioned to get their money back, what are they supposed to do in the mean time?) This is why we need food banks.

Here are some ridiculous sanction reasons for you:
    -Went to a job interview instead of a job centre appointment (job centre refused to change appointment slot)
    -or on the opposite side went to a job centre appointment instead of a job interview (seems you can't win).
    -Miss job centre appointment due to a close family members funeral
    -Arrive late to job centre appointment due to a job interview running later than it was supposed to, lose your benefits for a month
    -You get told to apply for a certain job online, go online and it has since expired. get sanctioned for 13 weeks

Are you kidding me? These are all things that have happened, and that was just a few.
    Here's some other.

I was told to write down what job hunting activities I did, and I didn't bother.

I missed my appointment at the job centre because I forgot/couldn't be bothered/was too hungover.

ReputationRep:
    Here's some other.

I was told to write down what job hunting activities I did, and I didn't bother.

I missed my appointment at the job centre because I forgot/couldn't be bothered/was too hungover.
    Okay you're highlighting that there are those who are too lay to look for/ get a job. But what does that have to do with those who are being wrongly punished? You seem to ignore those who wrongly suffer what because a small percentage can't be bothered?

You also completely ignored my first point in that these people simple cannot budget into making sure they are able to feed themselves in the event they get sanctioned (rightly or wrongly).

ReputationRep:
    Okay you're highlighting that there are those who are too lay to look for/ get a job. But what does that have to do with those who are being wrongly punished? You seem to ignore those who wrongly suffer what because a small percentage can't be bothered?

You also completely ignored my first point in that these people simple cannot budget into making sure they are able to feed themselves in the event they get sanctioned (rightly or wrongly).
    Who says it's a small percentage who can't be bothered?

But well done for atleast acknowledging that there people out there who abuse the system. Try targeting those feckless fools and we could have the basis of a more caring welfare system.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I couldn't understand what the hell he was saying.

ReputationRep:
    Who says it's a small percentage who can't be bothered?

But well done for atleast acknowledging that there people out there who abuse the system. Try targeting those feckless fools and we could have the basis of a more caring welfare system.
    There are statistic on it somewhere to do with length of unemployment time and all that but at present I don't remember where to find them. Probably on a .gov website.

Of course I acknowledge some people abuse the welfare system, but do you acknowledge that there are people suffering unfairly due to the welfare system? And they should not be punished and need to go to food banks because some people abuse the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Unfortunately I couldn't understand what the hell he was saying.
    I watched it with subtitles on, though I could understand most of it.

ReputationRep:
    It seems you don't know who MatureStudent is otherwise this would be an axiom not necessary to state.

ReputationRep:
    There are statistic on it somewhere to do with length of unemployment time and all that but at present I don't remember where to find them. Probably on a .gov website.

Of course I acknowledge some people abuse the welfare system, but do you acknowledge that there are people suffering unfairly due to the welfare system? And they should not be punished and need to go to food banks because some people abuse the system.
    I acknowledge that any process will have problems with it to some extent. But I'm also aware that 99 times out of 100 a quick explanation with some supporting evidence would suffice.

The complete of somebody being sanctioned for going to a Job interview would be a prime one. Evidence of a job interview would've sufficed.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.