Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read a book for personal enjoyment since year 8 (I'm 1st year uni now) to give a timescale.

I used to read as a form of escapism, I used to read a lot back then.. and now I've lost touch as to what I might enjoy.

I used to read horror/action/adventure i.e Books by Malorie Blackman / Series of Unfortunate events and those adventure books i.e Citadel of Chaos.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions as to what I can start reading. University has been pretty lonely so I hope reading will somewhat ease the depression.

Also, what free sites can I utilise to start reading thanks.

tl;dr: I'm thinking fictional books.. but idk what's good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    I haven't read a book for personal enjoyment since year 8 (I'm 1st year uni now) to give a timescale.

I used to read as a form of escapism, I used to read a lot back then.. and now I've lost touch as to what I might enjoy.

I used to read horror/action/adventure i.e Books by Malorie Blackman / Series of Unfortunate events and those adventure books i.e Citadel of Chaos.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions as to what I can start reading. University has been pretty lonely so I hope reading will somewhat ease the depression.

If you're willing to give some dystopian Sci-Fi a go, '1984' (George Orwell) and 'Fahrenheit 451' (Ray Bradbury) are both excellent reads. The latter is good for a quick read whilst 1984 is a classic, one I'm sure you must've at least heard of.

If you'd be willing to try something a little bit more different, could I recommend 'An Inspector Calls and other plays' (J.B. Priestley)? There are four plays with some mystery elements, as well as some slightly Sci-Fi stuff. Whilst not as adventurous as the two mentioned previously, the anthology was enjoyable to read in its own right.

Sorry I don't know any books that cater more to what you used to read, but those haven't interested me too much. Hope you consider these!

Yours,
    Grey

ReputationRep:

For action/adventure give Cliver Cussler or Tom Clancy a go.

Thought about going to your local public library to borrow books for free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    For action/adventure give Cliver Cussler or Tom Clancy a go.

Thought about going to your local public library to borrow books for free?
    I don't have a library card for the area I'm residing. Is there anywhere online I can get books? Much less hassle.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a library card for the area I'm residing. Is there anywhere online I can get books? Much less hassle.
    Get a card? They're free and if they are like Essex will give you one then and there. I'm sure there is loads of places online, I can't help with that though sorry. Prefer to hold a book and turn the pages myself than stare at a screen for hours on end.

ReputationRep:
    You can try Waterstones Marketplace (http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/) to get cheap second-hand books, as well as new copies. Amazon also works, naturally. If you're looking for PDF books etc., I'm afraid I've no clue.

Yours,
    Grey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThenameisGrey)
    You can try Waterstones Marketplace (http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/) to get cheap second-hand books, as well as new copies. Amazon also works, naturally. If you're looking for PDF books etc., I'm afraid I've no clue.

Yours,
    Grey
    I meant like ebooks.. for free.. or where I can download. I don't want to be paying money.

ReputationRep:
    A song of ice and fire series/ jurassic park if you like science a bit...they may be a bit different to what your used to however are well worth a read

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.