help from the experienced? Watch

hotelnotorious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
choosing my a level options right now and i want to take two sciences, which two are the best options to take in the opinion of people who are experienced in all this a level stuff? I'm decent at all three but i struggle a lot of with chemistry BUT it is also the one i'd most like to do.

im quite lazy btw so let that be a factor in your response
Olderandwiser23
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chem and bio

Posted from TSR Mobile
hotelnotorious
Rep:
?
i asked for experience and i got 'olderandwiser' praise be to the lord
(Original post by Olderandwiser23)
Chem and bio

Posted from TSR Mobile
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took biology and physics, but that's not the most common combination of the two sciences.

If you're a maths-y person, physics and chemistry is a popular choice.
If you prefer more human/practical science, biology and chemistry is a better way to go.

Which two sciences do you like the most? Do you want to take maths as well?
hotelnotorious
Rep:
?
yeah i am taking maths
(Original post by loperdoper)
I took biology and physics, but that's not the most common combination of the two sciences.

If you're a maths-y person, physics and chemistry is a popular choice.
If you prefer more human/practical science, biology and chemistry is a better way to go.

Which two sciences do you like the most? Do you want to take maths as well?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hotelnotorious)
yeah i am taking maths
Physics is an option then, and most of your fellow physicists will probably also take chemistry.
Azurefeline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What other subjects? Physics and to a lesser extent chemistry require a fairly strong maths performance.
crozibear96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently doing Physics, Biology, Chemistry (and Maths) at A2 level. Physics and chemistry go well together but, then again, so do chemistry and biology. Biology is the most content heavy of the three, but chemistry and physics require more understanding. With physics, there's not a lot on the specification but it involves more understanding and application type things. Chem and bio are the most commonly taken, because physics involves an awful lot of maths. Some of the maths even crosses over with the physics (forces and friction and stuff), which is nice.
hotelnotorious
Rep:
?
maths is the only subject i'm sure about taking at the moment, obviously the two sciences once i eventually make up my mind and either spanish or economics
(Original post by Azurefeline)
What other subjects? Physics and to a lesser extent chemistry require a fairly strong maths performance.
hotelnotorious
Rep:
?
this is not the way i am going to choose but which would you say the "easiest" and which have the biggest jump from gcse
(Original post by crozibear96)
I'm currently doing Physics, Biology, Chemistry (and Maths) at A2 level. Physics and chemistry go well together but, then again, so do chemistry and biology. Biology is the most content heavy of the three, but chemistry and physics require more understanding. With physics, there's not a lot on the specification but it involves more understanding and application type things. Chem and bio are the most commonly taken, because physics involves an awful lot of maths. Some of the maths even crosses over with the physics (forces and friction and stuff), which is nice.
Olderandwiser23
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i asked for experience and i got 'olderandwiser' praise be to the lord
As an actual working scientist I can confirm I am infact a lot older and a lot wiser than your child aged self.

Ty

Posted from TSR Mobile
hotelnotorious
Rep:
?
I wasn't being sarcastic tho
(Original post by Olderandwiser23)
As an actual working scientist I can confirm I am infact a lot older and a lot wiser than your child aged self.

Ty

Posted from TSR Mobile
crozibear96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
this is not the way i am going to choose but which would you say the "easiest" and which have the biggest jump from gcse
Chemistry is probably the biggest jump from GCSE, because some of the GCSE stuff actually changes and the work is a lot (compared to the other two) more complicated and.. well, harder than it was at GCSE. I'd say that Biology would be the easiest and the smallest jump from GCSE if you don't consider how much more stuff that you have to learn. Physics would be the most complicated of the three, but it's not a big of a jump from GCSE as Chem is, simply because Physics is complicated at every level!
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah the maths at A level is really complex... Said no one ever
Azurefeline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by langlitz)
Yeah the maths at A level is really complex... Said no one ever
What? Where did you take that from? Lots of people find maths very difficult... Anyway, If OP was going to say "not maths, because I find it really hard at GCSE" then that would be a very good reason not to take physics, don't you agree? I didn't say anywhere my thoughts on a maths A level, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't post random condescending remarks honestly. Simply no need for it...
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What? Where did you take that from? Lots of people find maths very difficult... Anyway, If OP was going to say "not maths, because I find it really hard at GCSE" then that would be a very good reason not to take physics, don't you agree? I didn't say anywhere my thoughts on a maths A level, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't post random condescending remarks honestly. Simply no need for it...
I was just saying that the maths in A level physics/chemistry really isn't hard
Mimir
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For what it's worth - if you choose Physics, also do Maths to AT LEAST AS-Level. They overlap a little and you can kill two birds with one stone in revision (certainly for Mechanics).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads