Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hhhh
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by muz360)
Currently I am in 5th year at school working towards my highers and I am well on track for AAAAA.

How much work experience/extra curricular activity is required? I will list the activities I have participated in: 6 weeks working as a phlebotomist in a GP surgery; a day of GP shadowing; a day of med student shadowing; volunteering with disabled children on a weekly basis (I am the "leader" of the volunteers and run the sessions); attending a care home weekly (starting from this weekend). I play rugby, golf and play bass guitar. In the summer of next year I am going on a month long trip to Ecuador which includes a trek up mount Chimborazo, project work with indigenous tribes and some rest and relaxation. I have raised £4075 by myself over the last year to go on this trip.

I am trying to gain even more experience and I am looking into getting some first aid training and volunteering and hopefully some hospital experience.

My dad is a GP so I have a "foot in the door" as you could say. I am aware that what counts is the experience gained from the opportunities rather than the impressiveness of the opportunities themselves. I am going to read my dads medical journals etc regularly in order to develop some knowledge about medicine. I read quite a lot of medicine related books (Benjamin Daniels, Ben goldacre, atul gawande etc).

I am on the reach programme. It is an initiative run by the Scottish government intended to help young people access high demand professions.

I'm sure there are some details I have missed! I have spoken in depth to many medical students so I am very familiar with the application process. Does what I am currently doing sound good? What can I do to improve in the year before I apply? Thanks very much everyone.
Everything you've got so far is great, and I'd say more than enough already. If you want to get more, then power to you, but you've already filled in any sensible "gaps". I think something that needs to be emphasised is the importance of quality over quantity: a little bit of work experience reflected on well is better than a lot of work experience reflected on poorly!

I really wouldn't bother reading your dad's medical journals! As a 5th year, you don't even have a functional knowledge of cells or any physiology yet! It'd really be a waste of your time: I'd stick to the "news" and "editorial" bits of the journals that're written in a more accessible way as opposed to trying to interpret the primary research literature.

Even then, that's going above and beyond. I'd usually advise people to just read pop medicine books and news websites, but if you're a keen bean, I suppose you can do whatever you want with your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
muz360
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
[ hjcg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.65%
No - but I will (6)
3.7%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.17%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (85)
52.47%

Watched Threads