Bolsheviks seizure of power Watch

RaquelPacheco
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi! im new with this so please can someone help me! Right now I'm studying russian history and I need to do an essay about the bolsheviks seizure of power. Was lenin the main reason for it? Could you give me some information about it? Thanks!
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RaquelPacheco)
hi! im new with this so please can someone help me! Right now I'm studying russian history and I need to do an essay about the bolsheviks seizure of power. Was lenin the main reason for it? Could you give me some information about it? Thanks!
Just moving this to the history section for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
SpottyCandyFloss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay so, until 1917 Russia was ruled by the Tsar through an autocracy, meaning the Tsar was the only one in charge and people thought he was sent by God. He had total control.

In early 1917 there was a revolution and Tsar Nicholas II abdicated and there was no one from the Romanov family willing to take over. They had ruled for over 100 years.

A provisional government was formed with members from the Octoberists and the Kadets parties, but not the Bolsheviks. The Bolsheviks set up the Petrograd Soviet and this resulted in a dual authority.

In October 1917, the Bolsheviks overthrew the Provisional Government. On the 6th November, the Bolsheviks Red Guards took telephone exchanges and bridges and the next day the Provisional Government leaders were arrested. Lenin declared a communist power the next day.

Lenin was a very big reason for the revolution, but not the only one. He was organised, determined and focused which meant the whole revolution was really well planned.

Another reason was the fact that the Provisional Government were so weak (there were still famines, peasants revolting, they didn't have control over the army, they were trapped in a dual authority situation and they didn't allow Bolshevik members in the Provisional Government which meant that the Bolsheviks got even more determined to seize power.

The Bolsheviks had the Red Guards, their own private army.

The Germans gave Lenin money because they thought he would pull Russia out the war. The money was used for propaganda and equipment. The main slogan was "Peace, Land and Bread" which was so simple that anyone could understand it so they had a lot more support that the Provisional Government who were seen as weak.

Hope this helps a little xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (229)
59.95%
No (153)
40.05%

Watched Threads