Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is the jump from GCSE Physics to AS Physics a big one? How hard does it get?

ReputationRep:
    All of the subjects feel like a big jump, the first term is normally the hardest and then you get used to it. At first, the sciences are like learning a different language because there's so many key words and concepts but it gets easier and easier. As long as you have a good GCSE and a good teacher, it isn't too bad and it gets loads easier when you get the first term out the way xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student467)
    Is the jump from GCSE Physics to AS Physics a big one? How hard does it get?
    It's relatively big yes, but definitely not impossible. What did you get in GCSE Maths/Physics? Not being good at maths with definitely make your life harder if you're wanting to take physics; it's very maths heavy (it's basically mostly applied maths).

In terms of how hard it gets, it's probably my joint hardest subject along with French. But don't be put off by that, it's also probably my favourite subject.

If you genuinely like Physics, have a sound mathematical ability, then it shouldn't be too difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frannoooooooo)
    It's relatively big yes, but definitely not impossible. What did you get in GCSE Maths/Physics? Not being good at maths with definitely make your life harder if you're wanting to take physics; it's very maths heavy (it's basically mostly applied maths).

In terms of how hard it gets, it's probably my joint hardest subject along with French. But don't be put off by that, it's also probably my favourite subject.

If you genuinely like Physics, have a sound mathematical ability, then it shouldn't be too difficult.
    I'm an A student right now in GCSE Physics but a B student in Maths (I'm sure I can improve). I'm also not going to take Maths at A Level. Is it still doable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student467)
    I'm an A student right now in GCSE Physics but a B student in Maths (I'm sure I can improve). I'm also not going to take Maths at A Level. Is it still doable?
    Yes I think you can do it if you're willing to put in hard work. Usually colleges/sixth form requires a B in GCSE Maths/Physics so I don't see why they'd accept them if they didn't think they were capable. If I were you, I'd try to strengthen my maths skills. You can absolutely do Physics with a B in maths, but it will be much easier with a stronger mathematical ability. Also, it gets quite maths heavy at A2 so you'll need to put in a lot of work if you stay at a grade B GCSE maths.

But I'd say go for it you can always change if you're not enjoying it (at most schools anyway)

Good Luck

P.S, I can send you some example physics questions of what the maths is like for the very first topic if you want to gauge the difficulty of it?

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.