Turn on thread page Beta

keyboard,drum or guitar?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Drums are all about timing using both legs and arms. Keyboard is easier than drums. I think though if you have timing drums are easier than guitar, all the cords and stuff to learn....

ReputationRep:
    I would actually say bass, at an advanced level is harder than guitar.

Its a halfway house between drums and guitar, requiring good ryhtymic ability and a dexterity in the hands.

Having played all 3, Ive realised, there are far more techniques on bass than guitar. Especially for the right hand. As the instrument can be played with a plectrum, a variety of fingerstyle methods, slap, and obviously if you want to go the whole way, tapping.

Whereas many guitarists simply use a plectrum, or the acoustic Travis picking technique.

However, mastering all of those instruments is equally as hard, so Im probably wrong to be even drawing comparisons.

However, Classical guitar and violin are easily the hardest of the lot. Thats a fact. Unless u bring the harp into the equation...or organ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alistair_Stead_giner_****)
    I would actually say bass, at an advanced level is harder than guitar.

Its a halfway house between drums and guitar, requiring good ryhtymic ability and a dexterity in the hands.

Having played all 3, Ive realised, there are far more techniques on bass than guitar. Especially for the right hand. As the instrument can be played with a plectrum, a variety of fingerstyle methods, slap, and obviously if you want to go the whole way, tapping.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alistair_Stead_giner_****)
    Whereas many guitarists simply use a plectrum, or the acoustic Travis picking technique.
    It's not just pick or fingers, picking patterns can get very complex. Perhaps if you took a look at sweep picking and economy picking you may realise it's not so simple.

ReputationRep:
    Its all too easy to think youve become "good" at drums, but in reality youre using poor technique and dont know a single thing about theory. Also its easy to think that once youve leared how to perform a few beats, it all stops there. Wrong. Where guitarists/keyboardists have to learn chords and scales, drummers learn 'the 40 rudiments', which are equally as challenging. Even a basic single stroke roll takes years of practice before it can be pulled off perfectly and evenly. I'd alo wager that drumming technique is harder to get to grips with (pun intended), as its incredibly hard yet absolutely manditory to get your weak hand on par with your strong one. I know other instruments require this, but I dont think to the same extent as drummers, because drummers preferebly have to be able to play with their weak hand everything they can with their strong hand. Which actually goes for feet, aswell.

I'm not saying any instrument is harder, but there's a lot more to drumming than meets the eye.

Id also say it has the steepest learning curve.

ReputationRep:
    Your choice of username is very apt.

Drums probably are one of the more diffcult to master, playing poly-rythyms is very difficult to master.

ReputationRep:
    ???

...Because no other instruments play polyrhythms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Drums - easy to learn, ****ing hard to master. But same with the others, anyone can knock out a tune on guitar/bass/piano but you've got to put work in to really get something out of it. You can't compare instruments in this way at all.
    Agreed.

Some instruments are easier to get into than others, but tehy're all hard to master, often for different reasons.

Beginning bass may be a doddle, but it comes down to makign a good groove in the end, and that is just as tough and making a good solo on the guitar.

Though i would say that fretboard instruments are easier to improvise on, from a dumbed down level, because (mayeb its just me) there are patterns that apply to all scales...
    ...but on a keys instrument you simply have to know which scale has which notes so you know the right ones to play. This is not definite stuff, it's an observation of my own

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.