Should I talk to my GP? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
OK, so for the past three years I have been suffering from what I think is either depression or anxiety, or even both. Constantly sad, always a sense of foreboding that I can't explain, suicidal thoughts, guilt, and basically an inability to be happy, or relax.

I've started seeing a counselor once a week, which has helped somewhat, but with the added stress of a levels on top of everything I'm struggling to cope and feeling really overwhelmed.
I've been unable to focus, having the urge to cry spontaneously, and I'm procrastinating (ie. trying to avoid failure due to lack of motivation) so much that I genuinely can't get anything done. This makes me panicky....and so the cycle continues.

In this scenario, would talking to my GP and getting medication help at all?
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It does sound like seeing your GP would be a good idea given what you're going through. You could try asking your doctor for CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) if you don't want to take medication - or even if you want to try a multipronged approach. If the waiting list is very long (which given it's the NHS it probably will be) you could try a free online CBT course called moodgym.

Medication can help a lot but it can take 6-8 weeks to take effect, if indeed it does take effect. Some people have to try multiple drugs before they find one that fits them. The side effects can be nasty too although, in my experience, generally are tolerable.
hannah.foster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would definitely talk to your GP about it. I think it would really help. They mat give you medicine if they think you need it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads