Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted, could I visit a local computer repair store and get an apprenticeship there as well as studying the one day a week in college? I'm not sure how they are applied for although I know you apply for the subject you want to do an apprenticeship in via UCAS Progress and select a college.

Would that work?

ReputationRep:
    I think so but you should check just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeixn)
    If I wanted, could I visit a local computer repair store and get an apprenticeship there as well as studying the one day a week in college? I'm not sure how they are applied for although I know you apply for the subject you want to do an apprenticeship in via UCAS Progress and select a college.

Would that work?
    You can chose to apply for any apprenticeship you wish for however an employer does not have to accept you especially if you do not posses the advertised qualities. As a rule intermediate = no formal qualifications advanced = gcse passes higher = a level / btech passes.

If you apply via the UCAS website your not actually applying for a job but a place on the colleges apprenticeship course (usually 1 day a week) and if you pass there assessment (usually some gcse english and maths computer test) they will look for an apprenticeship/employer for you. This can be a good option but if they fail to find you an apprenticeship they often just transfer you onto the equivalent full time course.

You can also look for apprenticeship vacancies on your own. I would advise you checking http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/ as well as googling '???? Apprenticeship in -my city- ' and checking reed and other job sites. Beware tho if the vacancy is handled by a college you usually just end up in a list of apprentices needing a job and even though you applied for a specific job the college may not offer you the chance to be interviewed for that job by the employer (however they will try find you one).

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.