Which way should i be answering this question?

Watch
nicevans1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Question

Find the range of values of M for which the line y=mx-5 intersects the curve y=x^2-4x+5 in two distinct points.

I completed the question by integrating the linear into the quadratic and then solved by working the discriminant.
I have the 2 answers as -6 and -2

I,m just unsure whether the range will be m>-6 & m<-2 or m<-6 & m>-2

Why, from the wording of the question should i or would i know whether they want the range of m below or above the x axis?

Thanks
I_Like_Maths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nicevans1)
Question

Find the range of values of M for which the line y=mx-5 intersects the curve y=x^2-4x+5 in two distinct points.

I completed the question by integrating the linear into the quadratic and then solved by working the discriminant.

Why, from the wording of the question should i or would i know whether they want the range of m below or above the x axis?

Thanks
It might help if you draw graphs out like you normally would when solving quadratic inequalities. It should make it easier to see.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Question

Thanks
I cannot check your answer but if these 2 answers are correct look at your textbook "how to solve quadratic inequalities"
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Question
Wondering where you got the -6 and -2 from
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Question

Thanks
What did you get for the discriminant of your quadratic equation? I don't get anything involving -6 or -2 as solutions!
nicevans1
Rep:
?
Sorry its y =x^2-4x+5 & y=mx+4 !!! I go the answers from the discriminant.

Regardles of the answer, what Im asking is - from the wording of the question why should i know if it wants the range to be above or below the x axis?

thanks
davros
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry its y =x^2-4x+5 & y=mx+4 !!! I go the answers from the discriminant.

Regardles of the answer, what Im asking is - from the wording of the question why should i know if it wants the range to be above or below the x axis?

thanks
You don't know from the wording of the question - that's the whole point!

All you know is that there must be two points of intersection, which requires the discriminant to be positive. Depending on what quadratic inequality comes out and how it factorizes will determine the appropriate range of values for m
nicevans1
Rep:
?
Ok thanks Davros.

I just about come to that conclusion just before i read your answer. (honest)

It just confused the hell out of me because all though I knew the line intersects the curve at 2 points as it says in the question. The fact that we are trying to work out only the co-efficient of the linear equation y=mx+4 it just didn't register that the range of M would have to be above the x axis from a totally seperate quadratic equation

m^2-8m+12

Anyway I'm kind of there in my head.

Thanks

just for my reassurance if M was between -6 and -2 e.g below the x axis then the original y=mx+4 would NOT intersect x^2-4x+5
james22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok thanks Davros.

I just about come to that conclusion just before i read your answer. (honest)

It just confused the hell out of me because all though I knew the line intersects the curve at 2 points as it says in the question. The fact that we are trying to work out only the co-efficient of the linear equation y=mx+4 it just didn't register that the range of M would have to be above the x axis from a totally seperate quadratic equation

m^2-8m+12

Anyway I'm kind of there in my head.

Thanks

just for my reassurance if M was between -6 and -2 e.g below the x axis then the original y=mx+4 would NOT intersect x^2-4x+5
Your discriminant is inncorrect. How did you calculate it?

Also I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about being above or below the axis. Does you know how to solve quadratic inequalities?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise