The Student Room Group

I'm unfit because it's all so unclear.

5'5'' 110lbs 17 year old male, lazy and generally unmotivated with low goals but I'm a little fed up of being so pathetic. Please suggest how to improve, baring in mind I don't aspire to be muscular nor would I have the dedication for it, however I am willing to put the effort in if I know exactly what to do. Many thanks.

Please don't mock weak genetics because I'm already aware of this and you'll just be wasting your own time.

Any dietary/exercise recommendations are welcome but I urge you to acknowledge my laziness and particularly my goal - which isn't to become 'built' or anything like that, I just want to resemble fitness and tackle the appearance of being a low-testosterone beta male, as well as sorting out my posture. Huge thanks guys.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
please help
Reply 2
bump
If you have no aspirations to improve, I don't see how we can help you improve
Reply 4
Original post by Angry cucumber
If you have no aspirations to improve, I don't see how we can help you improve

there's some aspiration to improve. For the sake of this thread we can assume there's moderate aspiration to improve.
Original post by rexzx
there's some aspiration to improve. For the sake of this thread we can assume there's moderate aspiration to improve.

Sounds like you don't have the motivation to keep up a regular gym routine. In any case if you want to add a bit of muscle you will need to do regular heavy (relative to your current strength) resistance training.

I'd recommend you get a door pullup bar for your room, and work on getting progressively better at pullups/chinups, pushups (work through increasingly harder variations), handstand pushups (stack books to reduce RoM if you can't do any to begin with), single leg squats and front lever rows/holds as a basic set of exercises.

If you're really not motivated, you could just randomly do a couple of sets of different exercises throughout the day and you'd hardly notice the effort...

But really if you are not motivating to change...you are not going to change!
Reply 6
Concentrate on your mental health first.
could start by not referring to yourself as a 'low testosterone beta male' :tongue:

Do you do any cardio? (This is a trick question, you need to bulk, but bear with me)
Reply 8
Take some responsibility for starters, you are blaming it on being unclear, blaming it on genetics, asking people to spoon feed you. I'm not saying it to be mean, you need to take responsibility to make any significant change. You can educate yourself and you are not at a point where genetics matter much.

If you don't have a specific goal then you need to find some activity you enjoy and do it. Just move more and learn a bit about nutrition and that's all that matter for general health. Enjoying it will make it easier to stick to. If you want to be less twig shaped then look up ice cream fitness 5x5 and go to a gym.
Reply 9
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
could start by not referring to yourself as a 'low testosterone beta male' :tongue:

Do you do any cardio? (This is a trick question, you need to bulk, but bear with me)

nope

Original post by BKS
Take some responsibility for starters, you are blaming it on being unclear, blaming it on genetics, asking people to spoon feed you. I'm not saying it to be mean, you need to take responsibility to make any significant change. You can educate yourself and you are not at a point where genetics matter much.

If you don't have a specific goal then you need to find some activity you enjoy and do it. Just move more and learn a bit about nutrition and that's all that matter for general health. Enjoying it will make it easier to stick to. If you want to be less twig shaped then look up ice cream fitness 5x5 and go to a gym.

I'm sorry but I am taking responsibility, by blaming it on my own laziness (which is a part of me, I take responsibility for that) and lack of motivation, and I'm also taking responsibility by asking to educate myself on it.
Reply 10
Original post by A5ko
Concentrate on your mental health first.

I've spent my whole life trying to come to terms with and accept who I am, but who I am is a **** person and so I feel the best thing to do now is improve myself before lowering my standards so much that I'm perfectly satisfied with being unfit and unhealthy
Reply 11
Original post by rexzx
I've spent my whole life trying to come to terms with and accept who I am, but who I am is a **** person and so I feel the best thing to do now is improve myself before lowering my standards so much that I'm perfectly satisfied with being unfit and unhealthy

Then you still have some work to do.
Reply 12
You can improve your mental health by exercising - you will only put on loads of muscle if you have the correct diet.

There once was, and probably still is, something GPs can sign you up for called "beating the blues" and it's really good - you do it yourself online and if you commit to it then it can work really well.

Once that's underway, maybe join a gym or start running/cycling - the endorphins released will help enormously.
Reply 13
Original post by A5ko
Then you still have some work to do.

it's true, it's got nothing to do with mental health.
Original post by rexzx
nope

I'm sorry but I am taking responsibility, by blaming it on my own laziness (which is a part of me, I take responsibility for that) and lack of motivation, and I'm also taking responsibility by asking to educate myself on it.

Well, you should probably start, like me, with actually doing some brisk walking or casual sport combined with a couple of resistance training sessions a week.
Thread merged :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by rexzx

Then good, you are better placed to do something- people can say they are lazy without owning that laziness. The advice I gave still stands.
Original post by rexzx
5'5'' 110lbs 17 year old male, lazy and generally unmotivated with low goals but I'm a little fed up of being so pathetic. Please suggest how to improve, baring in mind I don't aspire to be muscular nor would I have the dedication for it, however I am willing to put the effort in if I know exactly what to do. Many thanks.

Please don't mock weak genetics because I'm already aware of this and you'll just be wasting your own time.

Any dietary/exercise recommendations are welcome but I urge you to acknowledge my laziness and particularly my goal - which isn't to become 'built' or anything like that, I just want to resemble fitness and tackle the appearance of being a low-testosterone beta male, as well as sorting out my posture. Huge thanks guys.

There is only one way of getting rid of a body like that and that is to exercise often and have a dedicated fitness routine (even 2-3x a week) you don't even have to go to the gym or have a really intense workout routine. Up taking your calorie intake would be something that i would recommend as well (easy way to do this is weight gainer shakes)

Source: Well i was exactly in your position a few years back and found this was really the only way, took me a good few months of weight gaining and working out but it was worth it.
Do something you actually enjoy, and eat more.
Reply 19
Original post by SmashConcept
Do something you actually enjoy, and eat more.

I don't see why eating more will help tbh

Quick Reply

Latest