Edexcel module choice FM Watch

Rkai01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A bit random but would anyone say dropping M1 for FP2 is stupid as I dislike Mechanics?Also pure modules are helpful for someone like me as Im doing Economics and a lot of Further methods are used I believe whereas I would almost never use any M1 methods in econ.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rkai01)
A bit random but would anyone say dropping M1 for FP2 is stupid as I dislike Mechanics?Also pure modules are helpful for someone like me as Im doing Economics and a lot of Further methods are used I believe whereas I would almost never use any M1 methods in econ.
Your reasoning seems sensible enough.
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you doing all of the S papers?
gagafacea1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree with the guys above, it seems very reasonable, but there is only so many pure modules to do, you will have to do at least 4 applied. Applied modules are much harder than pure, and it might be easier for you to m1 instead of s4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rkai01
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Are you doing all of the S papers?
S1-3
Rkai01
Rep:
?
(Original post by gagafacea1)
I agree with the guys above, it seems very reasonable, but there is only so many pure modules to do, you will have to do at least 4 applied. Applied modules are much harder than pure, and it might be easier for you to m1 instead of s4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really?! Almost everyone argues that FP2 is the hardest module (after M4-5) so M1 is much much easier than FP2. Did you happen to take any of the 2?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do m1. It's good fun, and with enough practice the marks come easy enough.

Are you doing any decision modules?
gagafacea1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Really?! Almost everyone argues that FP2 is the hardest module (after M4-5) so M1 is much much easier than FP2. Did you happen to take any of the 2?
Oh I forgot about fp2. It is actually really hard, I'm doing AS right now, 9 modules, and then gonna do the rest (another 9) next year. I'm finishing all the pures this year + m1 and s1, and gonna concentrate on the applied next year. To be honest, the hardest thing (at least for me) would be the complex numbers, in fp2 (fp1 is actually easier than c2).
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
S1-3
So you are doing
C1,2,3,4
FP1,2,3
S1,2,3
D1,2

Is that correct but you may do M1 instead of FP2

M1 is certainly easier than FP2

FP2 is certainly more useful than M1

It really depends on what you want and your personal preference, I would do any FP rather than an S but that is just me - I would also do all the Ms rather than a single S if I could

My daughter was so freaked by her M2 paper that I taught her FP3 in a weekend so that she could take that too - she did better in the FP3
Rkai01
Rep:
?
(Original post by 42000)
Do m1. It's good fun, and with enough practice the marks come easy enough.

Are you doing any decision modules?
I did them in the summer
Rkai01
Rep:
?
Oh I forgot about fp2. It is actually really hard, I'm doing AS right now, 9 modules, and then gonna do the rest (another 9) next year. I'm finishing all the pures this year + m1 and s1, and gonna concentrate on the applied next year. To be honest, the hardest thing (at least for me) would be the complex numbers, in fp2 (fp1 is actually easier than c2).
For some reason I find M1 harder than C4; only me is this the case.
D1+2 are just computer science mods no brainwork required really lol.
I did 9 mods in the summer as well.
Rkai01
Rep:
?
So you are doing
C1,2,3,4
FP1,2,3
S1,2,3
D1,2

Is that correct but you may do M1 instead of FP2

M1 is certainly easier than FP2

FP2 is certainly more useful than M1

It really depends on what you want and your personal preference, I would do any FP rather than an S but that is just me - I would also do all the M2 rather than a single S if I could

My daughter was so freaked by her M2 paper that I taught her FP3 in a weekend so that she could take that too - she did better in the FP3
I already have done C1-4 S1-2 D1-2 FP1 and so the last 3 are FP3,S3 and then M1 vs FP2 , I need to decide ideally before feb
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I already have done C1-4 S1-2 D1-2 FP1 and so the last 3 are FP3,S3 and then M1 vs FP2 , I need to decide ideally before feb
As I said - it depends on your skill set as well as your interest in specific topics

At my school all students take 13 units if they are doing double maths so that there is flexibility when the grades are calculated - there is nothing to stop you from doing both
gagafacea1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you like math, do FP2, it's definitely much more fun than M1!
chn.challenger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Complex numbers isn't actually hard (transformations etc), just the book has some really terrible methods.
gagafacea1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chn.challenger)
Complex numbers isn't actually hard (transformations etc), just the book has some really terrible methods.
I totally agree with you on this! But the problem is I've only found one source that teaches Möbius transformations and complex numbers stuff without highly advanced calculus. Btw I did finish that chapter a while, but it did take me about two weeks to finish (most of it were spent on the loci and transformations), when it usually takes me one.
Rkai01
Rep:
?
As I said - it depends on your skill set as well as your interest in specific topics

At my school all students take 13 units if they are doing double maths so that there is flexibility when the grades are calculated - there is nothing to stop you from doing both
Yeah I know some people who are doing 14 since they want to eradicate 2 other applied mods from the summer.
but are the mods already locked and how do I know? If I want my D2 to be used for normal A2 but its currently in my AS further can they be moved? (as long as they total 480 obviously).My A2 normal wasnt certified I believe.
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I know some people who are doing 14 since they want to eradicate 2 other applied mods from the summer.
but are the mods already locked and how do I know? If I want my D2 to be used for normal A2 but its currently in my AS further can they be moved? (as long as they total 480 obviously).My A2 normal wasnt certified I believe.
You ask for re-aggregation anyway and they re-distribute for you
Rkai01
Rep:
?
You ask for re-aggregation anyway and they re-distribute for you
Okay so I do not have to do anything?
every mod will be arranged from fresh in summer 2015?
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay so I do not have to do anything?
every mod will be arranged from fresh in summer 2015?
Assuming your exams officer knows that you want this to happen and ticks the appropriate box
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (54)
98.18%
No (1)
1.82%

Watched Threads