A Retaliation Law. What Are Your Views (vigilantism) Watch

matthewduncan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Was just reading a story about an indian who killed his daughters rapist and burned his penis with heated tongs and its got me thinking.
Should we have a law in this country where if theres good reason for you to retaliate and you do you shouldnt get prosecuted?
Say if someone rapes your daughter and you kill the person.
Or they kill your marge and you kill them?
What are your views?
MrDystopia
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My view is that sounds like a stupid idea.
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by matthewduncan)
Was just reading a story about an indian who killed his daughters rapist and burned his penis with heated tongs and its got me thinking.
Should we have a law in this country where if theres good reason for you to retaliate and you do you shouldnt get prosecuted?
Say if someone rapes your daughter and you kill the person.
Or they kill your marge and you kill them?
What are your views?

I'd say leave it to the police and the courts. Vigilantism does not work.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No because mob rule is a stupid idea. Totally innocent people would get caught up in it and false accusations would be even more harmful than they already are.

It happens in countries like India because of poor law enforcement and rampant corruption in the police force, which means leaving it to the police often isn't an option. We don't have that problem in this country.
Wattsy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just look at what mob rule does in practice and you tell me it's still a good idea. The wrong person would have been arrested for the Boston Marathon bombing. Oscar Pistorius would have been strung up without a trial. Treatment of 80% of sex offenders would be a contravention of cruel and unusual punishment type laws. The whole idea of innocent until proven guilty swiftly exits stage left and you're resigned to snap emotional decisions that lay people make every day without considering the entirety of the evidence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed