Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m thinking of changing my Politics degree into Development Studies. Do you think the prospects of employment (in the NGO sector or with International Organisations) are better with a Development Studies degree than with a Politics degree? Or is politics a more “respected” subject? Someone told me Development Studies is an “obscure degree” – any opinions on that?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that it depends on what kind of work you wanna do in an international organisation... I mean Politics is about politology, DS is about economy mostly...
    It's like discussing the difference between a dispatcher and a pilot.. you still get to work near planes...

ReputationRep:
    i just see that theres nothing much special in having a degree in poltics, a damn alot of others have it too, and most likely from better universities.
    then again, development studies is good etc....
    i had the same problem as you, and ended up in both, hoping to someday work in a organization, i see them as a perfect combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiti)
    I’m thinking of changing my Politics degree into Development Studies. Do you think the prospects of employment (in the NGO sector or with International Organisations) are better with a Development Studies degree than with a Politics degree? Or is politics a more “respected” subject? Someone told me Development Studies is an “obscure degree” – any opinions on that?
    If you are certain you want to work for an NGO then development studies is a good idea because it is more specific to this area and shows you are keen and committed. Plus it will probably be more relevant. However, if you change your mind and apply for jobs which accept any degree (or politics and and any related degree), then you might have problems because employers won't know what your degree was about. I've never met anyone studying development studies so I imagine it is quite a rare course? You would have to get around this by explaining clearly the nature of your course on your CV.

You've got to study it for 3 years so choose the course you will enjoy the most if you cannot decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiti)
    My uncle has a degree in development studies, and is was a social worker and worked with children in care, now he works freelance advising county councils on policies for children in care (and charges a fortune for his services :rolleyes: ) - point being that development studies can get you into many areas. Its not an obscure degree at all, in fact from what I hear from one of my housemates who does it its actually very interesting. Its ultimetely up to you, but I'd choose the one that you think you'd find more interesting, and would enjoy studying more, as you'll end up with the better degree out of it if you've enjoyed doing it - I don't think its gonna make much of a difference employment-wise unless you already have a specific career path planned.

ReputationRep:
    Oh also, if you choose quite a flexible development studies course you probably get quite a lot of range within it to choose certain modules, and I'm sure you must be able to do a bit of politics in with it. My housemate who does it has chosen to do more economics in it, but there's loads of options for you to do!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.