How to start revising properly. Watch

D.n.A
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Last year I was a B/C and even A Grade student, but this year I'm predicted D/C/B instead, I struggling to revise, everyday I tell myself, today I will revise, today I will revise, but I don't, I don't know what I should be doing, I want to pass the mocks to the best of my ability, but lack motivation, I fear that nearing exam time I will also not bother to revise, let me give you an example, one day before my B1 Biology test, I revised that day, and came out with an A, a fluke I think, I don't know, but I need to start revising, properly and efficently.
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes you do mate- start from tommorow. i know how it feels, procrastinating, and the hardest part is sitting down at your desk and cracking on with the work. once you start however you will find yourself being able to revise with breaks in between. what i do is study for 60 minutes then have a break on youtube of 5 songs, and i keep doing this, taking lunch break/snacks etc in between. dont worry about a revision timetable yet as it will only put you off, take small steps at first and then after january perhaps increase your hours and get a timetable organised. print of the specifications from the exam board website and as you complete topics tick them off, that way you feel as if you are making progress.
D.n.A
Rep:
?
(Original post by neal95)
yes you do mate- start from tommorow. i know how it feels, procrastinating, and the hardest part is sitting down at your desk and cracking on with the work. once you start however you will find yourself being able to revise with breaks in between. what i do is study for 60 minutes then have a break on youtube of 5 songs, and i keep doing this, taking lunch break/snacks etc in between. dont worry about a revision timetable yet as it will only put you off, take small steps at first and then after january perhaps increase your hours and get a timetable organised. print of the specifications from the exam board website and as you complete topics tick them off, that way you feel as if you are making progress.
Thanks bro, great tips, but still I feel largely unmotivated
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by D.n.A)
Thanks bro, great tips, but still I feel largely unmotivated
what do you want to do after university? tell yourself that if you dont study, you wont get to university, and wont be able to do your career and earn a good living. works for me lol
D.n.A
Rep:
?
(Original post by neal95)
what do you want to do after university? tell yourself that if you dont study, you wont get to university, and wont be able to do your career and earn a good living. works for me lol
Doctor but I'm only getting D in Maths.
Kalsoomb
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by D.n.A)
Last year I was a B/C and even A Grade student, but this year I'm predicted D/C/B instead, I struggling to revise, everyday I tell myself, today I will revise, today I will revise, but I don't, I don't know what I should be doing, I want to pass the mocks to the best of my ability, but lack motivation, I fear that nearing exam time I will also not bother to revise, let me give you an example, one day before my B1 Biology test, I revised that day, and came out with an A, a fluke I think, I don't know, but I need to start revising, properly and efficently.

Hello there, thought I should answer you're problem, although it has been answered but I feel the need to give you a reply as I knew a few friends that were going through the same thing.

So Revision is the hardest thing, eh? Well I understand, teachers teach and the next day its the test. Here are some key things which I think will help with you're problem!

1. Make a time table a weekday one and a weekend one. So for the weekday one write it from 9.00am till 10.00pm into the night with the five days the left. Fill in the parts when you have school. These should leave you some blanks which are going to be the hours you after school. Depending on what and how many subjects you're doing. Fill in the blanks with each lesson whether its doing revision for an hour or event between 30-45 minutes. Obviously make sure you have a 15-20 minute break in-between the revision session as the mind tend to wonder off hence getting bored and not being interested in work. Then feeling sleepy.

For the week end one, do the same staring from 10.00am till 9.00pm. Fill in the blanks with each subject. Giving them equal time.

I understand the weekend is when we all have the day of from school and family and friends normally go out and have fun, however you have to think that this is you're future. People around you already have a job, life e.t.c and in order for you to have the same you need to work hard. Even if it means compromising. I've compromise several times and trust me it was hard but it pay's off!

2. Motivation to revise is hard! Like I said I know. Here's a quote, by me 'falling each time show's you're trying and winning ' -Just made it up however = how powerful are these words? I once was at a grade E in maths trust me I, was mad, upset but I said to myself what can I do to do better? What can you do? The teacher have obviously given you a low target grade but what is it that can you do? Prove the teachers and other people wrong? BY making a difference. This is what I told myself, forget others- well not literally but think if I want to do well and become a doctor and help people then I (You) is going to fight through the tough times because they don't last long. Once you have the degree you've achieved it.

3. Revision does not need to be boring, reading from a book. Make it fun, make flash cards, spider diagrams, chatter boxes, making a rap, whatever. Even invite you're friends and have a fun revision day out.

4. Know you're exam board. Go onto the website and download the specification, this will provide you with what the exam board wants you to learn, and also while you're at it download past exam papers. These will help build on you're exam skills, by doing the exam question every day you're learning the actual style in which the exam is written. So when it comes to the real exam, you will be flying through it!!

5. Build upon you're notes. Every time you have a lesson, go home and summarise the information. Look, cover and check, say it out loud and write down what you can remember. By doing this you're rehearsing the information which is going to stick in you're long term memory. Thus when you have a test you will be able to remember.

6. Use revision guides, they often break down the information and do answer the question they have at the end. These will help you know what you need to learn and what you know.

I hope this helped.
D.n.A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kalsoomb)
Hello there, thought I should answer you're problem, although it has been answered but I feel the need to give you a reply as I knew a few friends that were going through the same thing.

So Revision is the hardest thing, eh? Well I understand, teachers teach and the next day its the test. Here are some key things which I think will help with you're problem!

1. Make a time table a weekday one and a weekend one. So for the weekday one write it from 9.00am till 10.00pm into the night with the five days the left. Fill in the parts when you have school. These should leave you some blanks which are going to be the hours you after school. Depending on what and how many subjects you're doing. Fill in the blanks with each lesson whether its doing revision for an hour or event between 30-45 minutes. Obviously make sure you have a 15-20 minute break in-between the revision session as the mind tend to wonder off hence getting bored and not being interested in work. Then feeling sleepy.

For the week end one, do the same staring from 10.00am till 9.00pm. Fill in the blanks with each subject. Giving them equal time.

I understand the weekend is when we all have the day of from school and family and friends normally go out and have fun, however you have to think that this is you're future. People around you already have a job, life e.t.c and in order for you to have the same you need to work hard. Even if it means compromising. I've compromise several times and trust me it was hard but it pay's off!

2. Motivation to revise is hard! Like I said I know. Here's a quote, by me 'falling each time show's you're trying and winning ' -Just made it up however = how powerful are these words? I once was at a grade E in maths trust me I, was mad, upset but I said to myself what can I do to do better? What can you do? The teacher have obviously given you a low target grade but what is it that can you do? Prove the teachers and other people wrong? BY making a difference. This is what I told myself, forget others- well not literally but think if I want to do well and become a doctor and help people then I (You) is going to fight through the tough times because they don't last long. Once you have the degree you've achieved it.

3. Revision does not need to be boring, reading from a book. Make it fun, make flash cards, spider diagrams, chatter boxes, making a rap, whatever. Even invite you're friends and have a fun revision day out.

4. Know you're exam board. Go onto the website and download the specification, this will provide you with what the exam board wants you to learn, and also while you're at it download past exam papers. These will help build on you're exam skills, by doing the exam question every day you're learning the actual style in which the exam is written. So when it comes to the real exam, you will be flying through it!!

5. Build upon you're notes. Every time you have a lesson, go home and summarise the information. Look, cover and check, say it out loud and write down what you can remember. By doing this you're rehearsing the information which is going to stick in you're long term memory. Thus when you have a test you will be able to remember.

6. Use revision guides, they often break down the information and do answer the question they have at the end. These will help you know what you need to learn and what you know.

I hope this helped.
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads