Worth Mentioning First Year of University? Watch

kotoyoseru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've decided to leave university after my first year and transfer to a new university closer to home after Summer, however I've decided to stay on and finish the first year at my present university anyway since if I left now I'd still be locked into a contract with my accommodation.

At whichever new university I go to I'll be restarting my first year again doing the exact same subject, however due to the fact that it's language based, do you think it would be worth mentioning in my personal statement that I've already been through the first year of the subject at a different university?

I don't want to give admissions the impression that I just dropped out for no real reason as it's due to a parents worsening health and my present university being too far away from home for comfort, but I don't know whether it'd be appropriate to include this or how to even word it?
AJExeter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kotoyoseru)
I've decided to leave university after my first year and transfer to a new university closer to home after Summer, however I've decided to stay on and finish the first year at my present university anyway since if I left now I'd still be locked into a contract with my accommodation.

At whichever new university I go to I'll be restarting my first year again doing the exact same subject, however due to the fact that it's language based, do you think it would be worth mentioning in my personal statement that I've already been through the first year of the subject at a different university?

I don't want to give admissions the impression that I just dropped out for no real reason as it's due to a parents worsening health and my present university being too far away from home for comfort, but I don't know whether it'd be appropriate to include this or how to even word it?
All I can tell you is what I know from my own personal experience.

Dropped out after two years of my degree, no real reason other than I felt that it wasn't the right subject for me, but I did mention my previous degree in my personal statement and I did very briefly talk about why I decided to leave.

Don't know if it made any difference but I did receive an offer from each University I applied to, all of which were ranked higher than my first University.
Interrobang
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At the very least it has to go on your education section. Can you not apply for a transfer to second year if you are finishing this year? You can talk about what you have liked on your current course and why in your PS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise