What are your personal beliefs? What drives you? Watch

localfox1000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Its might be a bit personal but lets get intimate TSRians...

I want to know what few beliefs that you have that you use as a guidance in your life.
What are the few things or emotions that drive you in your goals?Life related, career related, anything.

Do you believe people have "callings"( something they're meant to do with their lives)? Have you found yours?
moment of truth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe I have some 'purpose of life' but I haven't found mine yet and at the moment have no idea where my life is going. :dontknow:
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Do whatever makes me happiest." is the main thing I try to go by.

Neil deGrase Tyson has a good life saying: "know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others". But for me, doing those things makes me happier. Everything boils down to decisions which make me feel better in the long or short run. I'm not entirely sure that there is such a thing as a truly selfless act, although I could be convinced otherwise.
stargirl63
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just try and be the best possible person I can be. Always ready to improve or take critique. Surround myself with positivity and stay away from negative atmospheres or things that would bring me down.

I'm living more for myself and less and less for other people, which means that my life has become so much easier and I'm so much happier not trying to please other people all the time.
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fairness, doing what is right, always learning.
Olderandwiser23
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Loyalty, live with out prejudice, hard work and charity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
localfox1000
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks. some very good answers.
keep'em coming guys!
DErasmus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't believe we have a purpose. But I feel I am destined for great things, not rational, equally not delusional, just an immense feeling of ambition.

Probably my core values.

Altruism over selfish.
Active over passive.
Learned over ignorant.
Strength over weakness.
Scepticism over dogma.
KeepYourChinUp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What drives me? That is a question I've been asking myself for the last 8 years.

I guess it's the uncontrollable desire to find answers and discover new things. My personal belief about the universe is something which I cannot yet fathom and I suspect that there is much much more than meets the eye. I often struggle to accept that there are things which I cannot know which actually drives me further...

I'm well aware that I will die without knowing the questions to answers I have been asking all my life and that is quite scary. I would definitely say the most important thing is to be happy, you can't go wrong that way.

Stephen Hawking once said "I didn't get where I am now by quitting" and I try to live by that... live the best life you can by doing the thing you love and don't quit no matter what anyone says.
Nogoodsorgods
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DErasmus)
But I feel I am destined for great things
But that itself is subjective.

I'm of the opinion that if someone's not 'crafting' something 'materially' then it can be argued that they're just 'sophists'. They go through life with whatever smoke and mirrors their acquired 'social pool' gives them the confidence to swim in. When they come up against someone who has real intellectual or moral clout (especially of, in their view, a lower social class), they invariably ignore them or become very casual, as if their own privileged education - that allows them to be so very casual- was somehow a bit of a bore or not that important (thus giving the impression to the person of, in their view, lower social class that they're trying too hard and should go back to shining shoes or something).

So materially includes how we speak to others- e.g. in ways that show respect and empathy for other people's preferred modes of discourse. Not in an insincere way either- in a way that shows that you want to be 'more like their consciousness'.

Materially also includes building something - e.g. a house, a car, perhaps being a painter or songwriter to some extent but those careers sometimes hide a multitude of mundanities amongst the gold.

Of course some relationships can be compared to a building - commonplace or quirky, welcoming or forbidding, exciting or crumbling, humourful or serious.

'If you build it he will come'- Field of Dreams.

If you're not building something, what are you doing?
DErasmus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nogoodsorgods)
But that itself is subjective.

I'm of the opinion that if someone's not 'crafting' something 'materially' then it can be argued that they're just 'sophists'. They go through life with whatever smoke and mirrors their acquired 'social pool' gives them the confidence to swim in. When they come up against someone who has real intellectual or moral clout (especially of, in their view, a lower social class), they invariably ignore them or become very casual, as if their own privileged education - that allows them to be so very casual- was somehow a bit of a bore or not that important (thus giving the impression to the person of, in their view, lower social class that they're trying too hard and should go back to shining shoes or something).

So materially includes how we speak to others- e.g. in ways that show respect and empathy for other people's preferred modes of discourse. Not in an insincere way either- in a way that shows that you want to be 'more like their consciousness'.

Materially also includes building something - e.g. a house, a car, perhaps being a painter or songwriter to some extent but those careers sometimes hide a multitude of mundanities amongst the gold.

'If you build it he will come'- Field of Dreams.

If you're not building something, what are you doing?
that's another implicit assumption though, it's like all the materialist and evolutionary attempts to dominate the social sciences, it's just as dogmatic and can be dealt with in exactly the same way as any other subjectivism, it's just as useless and relative to say to live is to reproduce as it is to say to have pleasure.
Nogoodsorgods
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The purpose of life should never be reproduction. Reproduction should be a by-product of deep, unconditional, love, support, understanding and potential.

Saying the purpose of life is reproduction of the species is a bit like saying that the purpose of being a car is to make more cars.

In the case of cars, they can't make their own offspring of course but in the case of people just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should en masse. You have the bodily make-up to continuously choose to blink all day if you wish but you'll start to hurt your eyes.
We have the societal make-up to populate the world with many more billions of people but it doesn't mean that's a good.

Anyway, it's an insult to those of us who are 'classic cars' who should be admired rather than a conveyor belt of new (or old) Ladas!
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do believe in "callings".
zishan1234
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be like my Prophet Muhammad(SAW), his character, determination, perseverence etc
BigPoppa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Each day I strive to be better than the person I was yesterday. Seems to work for me.
mediageek123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have quite a few beliefs but my main ones are:
-Follow your heart
-Trust your instincts
-If you don't succeed try again
-Don't stop believing
-Keep going, theres another Roast dinner waiting for you on Sunday ;-)

And what drives me?
-The thought of family (I love them so dearly)
-The thought that if I try hard and acheive things I want to it will bring me one step closer to my life goals.
-Happiness
DErasmus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zishan1234)
To be like my Prophet Muhammad(SAW), his character, determination, perseverence etc
do u ask little girls if they like your wood
DErasmus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mediageek123)
I have quite a few beliefs but my main ones are:
-Follow your heart
-Trust your instincts
-If you don't succeed try again
-Don't stop believing
-Keep going, theres another Roast dinner waiting for you on Sunday ;-)

And what drives me?
-The thought of family (I love them so dearly)
-The thought that if I try hard and acheive things I want to it will bring me one step closer to my life goals.
-Happiness
Hold on to the feeling.
miser
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I live according to 13 rules I wrote for myself. As for my goals, I want to inherit my teacher's aikido club.
Nietzsche 246
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by miser)
I live according to 13 rules I wrote for myself. As for my goals, I want to inherit my teacher's aikido club.
Ohio, my friend. Are you Japanese?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.59%
No - but I will (35)
6.57%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (251)
47.09%

Watched Threads