Turn on thread page Beta

I really want to start writing something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Sure I'll take a look.

And as for saying your poem was terrible, I think poetry it's because it is a very different type of writing than writing novels/stories. Some people have the knack for one and some people have the knack for the other.
    And some ppl have a flair for both and writing in general!

(Original post by Elements)
    And some ppl have a flair for both and writing in general!
    Touche. :p:

Kirstin if you want to start writing something just sit down and give it a go. You never know you might come up with something. Give yourself a bit of free time to work on it.

Another three poems written today, I really need to start typing them up. ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    Touche. :p:

Kirstin if you want to start writing something just sit down and give it a go. You never know you might come up with something. Give yourself a bit of free time to work on it.

Another three poems written today, I really need to start typing them up. ;yes;
    Wow, sounds like you might be on a roll with those poems! What inspires you then? What themes/things do you generally write about in your poetry then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    I really want to start writing something
    Well why not try? The first step is putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). That's how I motivate myself to write. I just sit at my compy with a blank Word document up, and I don't do anything (apart from eat, obviously ) until I've written something. Inevitably I end up writing something significant - even if it is only the first part of a short story, or a slightly terrible poem! And yes, I do write poetry; and yes, it is systematically awful!

(Original post by Elements)
    Wow, sounds like you might be on a roll with those poems! What inspires you then? What themes/things do you generally write about in your poetry then?
    Themes?

Life, death, lonliness, rejection, despair, desire. Love. That's about it.

As for what inspires me...I don't really know. I always find silence inspiring. That and the thoughts going around in my head.

I'm hoping to collect together enough for an anthology; then I was going to show it to one of my tutor's to get his opinion on how good it is. Probably will need a lot of work before I show it to any prospective publishers!

ReputationRep:
    ^Are you at school then or Uni (the tutor bit)? If the latter, what subject do you do? if it's English/Creative Writing!:dohl:

Haha, yeah I'm at uni, doing English.

(Original post by Jayk Bakner)
    Well why not try? The first step is putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). That's how I motivate myself to write. I just sit at my compy with a blank Word document up, and I don't do anything (apart from eat, obviously ) until I've written something. Inevitably I end up writing something significant - even if it is only the first part of a short story, or a slightly terrible poem! And yes, I do write poetry; and yes, it is systematically awful!
    I actually done that, expecting it not to work and sat there for a while and suddenly I had the urge to write () "Once upon a time" (how embarrassing! ) I carried on sitting there trying to think of something else to write instead but thought, what does it matter, no one will see this, so I wrote it and a plot fell through my fingers and onto the screen and when you take away the "Once upon a time" it actually seems half decent.

ReputationRep:
    I actually done that, expecting it not to work and sat there for a while and suddenly I had the urge to write () "Once upon a time" (how embarrassing! ) I carried on sitting there trying to think of something else to write instead but thought, what does it matter, no one will see this, so I wrote it and a plot fell through my fingers and onto the screen and when you take away the "Once upon a time" it actually seems half decent.
    ;thumbsup; Excellent!

ReputationRep:
    What elements said ;grin;

ReputationRep:
    Perfect

Well rarely if ever is the first thing that you write down going to be decent. (our book is version 10.6, I think...) Writing isn't just a one off thing. It's a progressive art. Yes, think of it like a painting. You have an idea, draw the outline, get the main things done, and slowly improve it. You don't just start in the top right corner and sysematically work your way through the thing, not touching bits that you've already done. So keep at it. And most importantly: Enjoy it

I have a question: How many poems is a good amount for an anthology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Esh)
    Perfect

Well rarely if ever is the first thing that you write down going to be decent. (our book is version 10.6, I think...) Writing isn't just a one off thing. It's a progressive art. Yes, think of it like a painting. You have an idea, draw the outline, get the main things done, and slowly improve it. You don't just start in the top right corner and sysematically work your way through the thing, not touching bits that you've already done. So keep at it. And most importantly: Enjoy it
    Like your metaphor- 2 art forms, similar techniques.:yy: have been looking for your book out and about but can't find it?:confused: Will have to put up with ordering it from Amazon, I guess! I just wanted to see the graphics of the promotions and space in which the books are sold in.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question: How many poems is a good amount for an anthology?
    I suppose that would depend on the type of anthology, and they type of poems. . . :rolleyes:

Well, because of the problem that our scottish publisher had with the printing, they aren't actually in bookstores yet. There are only about 200 copies around at the moment. Hopefully they should be out before christmas, but I really don't know when they will be out. . . But yeah, Amazon has it listed, and quite a few people have already pre-ordered it from there

(Original post by Sir Esh)
    I suppose that would depend on the type of anthology, and they type of poems. . . :rolleyes:
    Wow, thanks for that. :p:

I was looking to get more than 40 toegether before I start to think about finalising the order and considering it 'finished'. That said some of them are quite short, hand written, about four go onto a second side of A4 (I think it's four), so maybe more than 40 would be better. So I'm not even half way there. A long way to go

ReputationRep:
    As a piece of blatant self-promotion (:p: ), take a look at this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/pr...e_ticket.shtml if you want to listen to an interview with my brother and myself. Who knows, the rest of the programme might even be interesting too!

And I will probably post a poem of mine that I have started, and see what you people think about it, then work on it a bit more, then post it again when I think it's more finished off. Might get round to doing that today some time, will see. .

ReputationRep:
    God, it's ages since I've been on here... I'm too tired to write! *needs a holiday* I write the odd poem but not on a regular basis. It's probably terrible. :p: But I might stick a couple up here for the sheer hell of it... I've got nothing else to do with them, lol. The one I've attached I did ages ago... random, 8 syllables per line. Metaphor not entirely accurate, but stuff it. Do your worst. :p:

EDIT: Sir Esh, I can't find you on that page... :confused:
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: txt the cherry tree.txt (1.1 KB, 108 views)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know, I was told that it would be up yesterday, but it only got put up today. It's about 46 minutes into the programme.

I always find it easier to write a group of poems and then edit them all at the same time, rather than work solely on one for a while...I wonder why that is?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.