Turn on thread page Beta

Writers Society! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elesby)
    I'm struggling to get inspired enough to write anything. Can anyone suggest me some ways in which I can overcome my writer's block?
    Try reading history or mythology books, especially those set in like ancient times, they might work. It managed to solve mine once.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm writing a play at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    I'm writing a play at the moment.
    What is it about?

P.S.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    What is it about?

P.S.

Five historical figures who go to a pub together.

ReputationRep:
    Try reading history or mythology books, especially those set in like ancient times, they might work. It managed to solve mine once.

P.S.

Thanks for the advice, is there any you would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Five historical figures who go to a pub together.
    Sounds interesting. Which historical figures?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, is there any you would recommend?
    Well, it's based on what you usually write about. I mostly write about elementals and things like that so I read Greek Mythology cause of Zeus, Hestia, etc. I'd recommend the book of greek heroes, it's a compilation of stories from Hercules to Perseus

What do you usually write about?

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's based on what you usually write about. I mostly write about elementals and things like that so I read Greek Mythology cause of Zeus, Hestia, etc. I'd recommend the book of greek heroes, it's a compilation of stories from Hercules to Perseus

What do you usually write about?

P.S.

I haven't really written a lot, to be honest. I would love to begin writing a short story though, or even a full length novel. I do enjoy reading fantasy and sci-fi, if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really written a lot, to be honest. I would love to begin writing a short story though, or even a full length novel. I do enjoy reading fantasy and sci-fi, if that helps.
    Good luck . I've only written for a few years but I planned one of my stories for 6 yrs. Still haven't gotten around to writing it though.

Anyway, Conspiracy theories perhaps for sci-fi? For fantasy, perhaps some folklores, do you have some interesting folklores in your town or home? Even some children's stories maybe.

I read this one about a descendant of little red riding hood becoming some werewolf hunter, it sounds a bit ridiculous but it was surprisingly good. Forgot it's name though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sounds interesting. Which historical figures?
    Charles V, Mikhail Gorbachev, Thomas Hardy (I know he's not particularly historical but oh well), Muhammad Ali Jinnah and Ramesses II!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck . I've only written for a few years but I planned one of my stories for 6 yrs. Still haven't gotten around to writing it though.

Anyway, Conspiracy theories perhaps for sci-fi? For fantasy, perhaps some folklores, do you have some interesting folklores in your town or home? Even some children's stories maybe.

I read this one about a descendant of little red riding hood becoming some werewolf hunter, it sounds a bit ridiculous but it was surprisingly good. Forgot it's name though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! Oh wow, I'm intrigued to know what your story is about if you've put 6 years worth of planning into it! Must be pretty interesting - would you be able to give me an outline of the plot?

I do love folklores and children's fairy tales; there isn't any where I live though, sadly (times like this I wish I lived in somewhere like Canterbury). I've always wanted to read Grimm's fairy tales, as some of the stories in there really interest me.

Oh wow, that sounds interesting. If you do remember the name of it, can you let me know? Are there any other ones you've read that you would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Oh wow, I'm intrigued to know what your story is about if you've put 6 years worth of planning into it! Must be pretty interesting - would you be able to give me an outline of the plot?

I do love folklores and children's fairy tales; there isn't any where I live though, sadly (times like this I wish I lived in somewhere like Canterbury). I've always wanted to read Grimm's fairy tales, as some of the stories in there really interest me.

Oh wow, that sounds interesting. If you do remember the name of it, can you let me know? Are there any other ones you've read that you would recommend?
    Sorry bout the late reply.

Anyway, it's like really wrong but anyway. So, every generation, 6 elementals are born Fire, water, earth, air, light and dark. But every now and then there's also etherion and nature elementals. Sometimes more are born in a generation due to prophecies but no one actually believed it. They date back to the discovery of magic, roughly around the time of Merlin. But they're not just chosen by blood but also by fate and destiny. I added some history to it so the Great Fire of London in. 1666(?) was due to a fire elemental who went berserk (too hard to explain). Like any powerful people, they were feared and became hunted down for their powers so they keep it secret and slowly their existence became myths.

The story is set in the modern day, explaining the middle bit is giving away too much spoilers but basically the two sets of elemental in a generation thing happened again and there will be some huge war.

If you're gonna read Grimm's Fairy Tales, read the original version. It's so gruesome and violent, you'll actually be shocked of what children books' used to be.

I mostly read fanfic but there's this one story that my friend's have been begging me to read called Death is my BFF. It was started in Wattpad and was posted in goodreads so it seems good.

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry bout the late reply.

Anyway, it's like really wrong but anyway. So, every generation, 6 elementals are born Fire, water, earth, air, light and dark. But every now and then there's also etherion and nature elementals. Sometimes more are born in a generation due to prophecies but no one actually believed it. They date back to the discovery of magic, roughly around the time of Merlin. But they're not just chosen by blood but also by fate and destiny. I added some history to it so the Great Fire of London in. 1666(?) was due to a fire elemental who went berserk (too hard to explain). Like any powerful people, they were feared and became hunted down for their powers so they keep it secret and slowly their existence became myths.

The story is set in the modern day, explaining the middle bit is giving away too much spoilers but basically the two sets of elemental in a generation thing happened again and there will be some huge war.

If you're gonna read Grimm's Fairy Tales, read the original version. It's so gruesome and violent, you'll actually be shocked of what children books' used to be.

I mostly read fanfic but there's this one story that my friend's have been begging me to read called Death is my BFF. It was started in Wattpad and was posted in goodreads so it seems good.

P.S.

That's okay, your story sounds really interesting! I see, where am I most likely to find the original version?

ReputationRep:
    That's okay, your story sounds really interesting! I see, where am I most likely to find the original version?
    Of Grimm's Fairy Tales? Maybe Amazon or Waterstones or one of those antique bookshops. It's a bit hard to find since it's censored in most translations.

But if you find the story of Cinderella, check if the stepsisters cut off their soles or toes to fit in the glass slippers. If yes, then you're most likely reading the original version.

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    This is the Brothers Grimm's Version of Cinderella.

http://pinkmonkey.com/dl/library1/story012.pdf

It's bit, urggh, but those were the days

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    This is the Brothers Grimm's Version of Cinderella.

http://pinkmonkey.com/dl/library1/story012.pdf

It's bit, urggh, but those were the days

P.S.

Quite shocking for a children's tale; imagine reading that to a small child at bedtime, enough to give them nightmares!

ReputationRep:
    Quite shocking for a children's tale; imagine reading that to a small child at bedtime, enough to give them nightmares!
    Although, it will most likely stop kids from lying and being insincere.

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    Charles V, Mikhail Gorbachev, Thomas Hardy (I know he's not particularly historical but oh well), Muhammad Ali Jinnah and Ramesses II!
    Why those people, just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    I'm struggling to come up with any ideas, has anyone got any advice?
    I'm not claiming to be an expert writer or anything (I've written a couple of TV and short film scripts, none of which have come anywhere near being made) but here are a few things I find useful.

1) Start keeping a diary. That way, even if you're not working properly on an idea, you're doing some form of writing on a daily basis. Also, looking back on stuff you've written about your life can give you new ideas. For example, I'd written some pretty embarrassing stuff about someone I liked, and about a year later, when I read that stuff back knowing what I know now about him, I had an idea for a play with similar characters and a similar situation.

2) Read. Watch loads of stuff. Listen to music. Try and be inspired by other pieces of art. Vary it though. Go out of your comfort zone with stuff. You might be surprised

3) Visualise what you want to write. What books or TV shows or films do you wish you'd written? Which writers do you want to be like? Think about the book you want to read, or the show you'd like to watch, and write that.

4) Try and let your ideas come to you. Don't sit at a desk, with a blank page, agonising over what to write. Go out, or do something else that's creative (Cooking? Playing music? Drawing? It's up to you, really.) and hopefully, if you're lucky, you'll get something that might turn into a fully-formed idea.

5) Speaking of fully-formed ideas, don't expect them. Nobody gets a fully workable idea straight away. Sometimes it can just be an incident, a place, a character, or a single sentence or line that comes to mind. Write stuff like this down- if you think of something funny, or you hear about something that makes you think, write it down. Eventually, you might get enough stuff to have a full idea.

Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by scjman)
    Why those people, just out of interest?
    I've studied them all in school except Ramesses II, who I have been researching myself. They come from various different periods and all have interesting stories to tell! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.