Writers Society! Watch

Mike_P
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hate when you say something you regret.
(not into poetry anyways)

I saw it.
The very moment,
When I crushed your heart.
I saw how your face bent in pain,
how your eyes slowly started to water apart.
as I spoke the words that wounded you so deep, and made you drain
It agonised me to see you hurt, yet I could not tell you so.
I did not even dare to tell you I am sorry,
when chances came in row.
Now it's too late, and I'm not even worthy of asking you, altough i pine .
But I am sorry, and I despise my actions,
as I poisoned you with burdens of mine.
Unjust it was, so unheartily cold,
yet something I said in the heat of anger alone
I brought you sorrow of my own,
I made you lying down, made you to mourn.
Theres no way I can forgive myself, and certainly not ask you to forgive me.
Poet
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
I would love to publish some of my work but have no idea what to do! Do I need a literary agent? Is the Writers & Artists' Yearbook worth getting and using? What about the worries that my work might get used by someone else? Sorry I worry a lot... :-(
Sephirona
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by *Bryony*)
I would love to publish some of my work but have no idea what to do! Do I need a literary agent? Is the Writers & Artists' Yearbook worth getting and using? What about the worries that my work might get used by someone else? Sorry I worry a lot... :-(
Why would someone steal poetry?
Poet
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sephirona)
Why would someone steal poetry?
I always hear rumours that some people have sent off work and later there are dodgey publishers/agents who pass off your work as someone else's.
Jonah Ramone
Badges: 19
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by *Bryony*)
I always hear rumours that some people have sent off work and later there are dodgey publishers/agents who pass off your work as someone else's.
I doubt any legitimate agency would do that. Also, provided you have dated copies both written and typed you, plus a copy of what you're sending them then you can prove it's your work on the off chance something like that would happen.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ok...question(s):

how realitic is it to want to write for a living? I don't mean JUST novels, but freelance writing for companies as well as novels and all that sort of thing.
Is it feasible? Or would you end up as a stereotypical "tortured penniless writer"?
Is it better just as a part-time / spare-time thing? Or is it actually possible to become a full time writer?
In either case, does it really matter if you don't have a degree (or indeed any a-levels) in English? Can you just go for it?
Sephirona
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
ok...question(s):

how realitic is it to want to write for a living? I don't mean JUST novels, but freelance writing for companies as well as novels and all that sort of thing.
Is it feasible? Or would you end up as a stereotypical "tortured penniless writer"?
Is it better just as a part-time / spare-time thing? Or is it actually possible to become a full time writer?
In either case, does it really matter if you don't have a degree (or indeed any a-levels) in English? Can you just go for it?
It isn't really proitable to become a writer. Can't you just write alongside your actual occupation.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sephirona)
Can't you just write alongside your actual occupation.
Well yeh of course I could, I was only asking that's all.
Mike_P
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would say that writing is perhaps not the best thing to do if you want to earn money. But if you really believe in your idea, and are proud of your work, does it matter whether it'll sell or not?
I believe that the son of the owner of the publishing company for the Lord of The Rings'(who referred Tolkien to his father), told him father that the works were a true masterpiece, and the publisher then actually said "then it doesn't matter if people will like it or not, if he is the master you say he is".
If you feel for writing, do so. If you can devote a lot of time on it, and really want to, do so.
Sephirona
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It would be an excellent job if you plan everything correctly, so you can earn a bit of it. What about writing for a magazine?
Confectionary
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ok...question(s):

Perfectly feasible if you are a good writer.
Jonah Ramone
Badges: 19
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Confectionary)
Perfectly feasible if you are a good writer.
Agreed. I intend to start contacting publishers in the next few years, maybe after I fnish my last year of my degree, whilst doing a masters.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
I cant think of a name for my main character, none fit
campbell87
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How did I not see a writing society?? Can anyone tell me how to join? I take creative writing at uni and it would be grat to join up
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have problems when trying to write. It's not for lack of feeling things either. I percieve things and feel them intensely, and really want to convey this intangible beauty to people, but I get bad writers block and trouble with structure. Any tips much appreciated, rep available.
Laus
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
Hi naive, I remember you from some time ago. Did you get anywhere with that book idea of yours?
Mike_P
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
I have problems when trying to write. It's not for lack of feeling things either. I percieve things and feel them intensely, and really want to convey this intangible beauty to people, but I get bad writers block and trouble with structure. Any tips much appreciated, rep available.
Don't think of what you want to write while sitting and doing the actual writing. Try and play some scenarios in your mind of how things should play out in your work, and you should found out what feels right for you. Also, make notes so you remember things, mindmaps etc. Whatever will help you.
Don't rush into things either, sleep over the things you need to ponder over and I'm sure you'll come to a point knowing what you want to write.
Regarding structure, remember that the reader should be presented with some sort of introduction (you could also start off with something rapid and exciting at the start, catching the readers interest) avoiding confusion and loss of interest on their side. Meanwhile writing introduction, you would repeat things and making them clearer for yourself.
What kind of work are you writing?
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Trying to write short stories set in different parts of Britain.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
Hi naive, I remember you from some time ago. Did you get anywhere with that book idea of yours?
No that wasn't really serious.
Honeyblossom
Report 11 years ago
Count me in! It's a great idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (24)
17.27%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
38.85%
Nope, not that interesting (61)
43.88%

Watched Threads