Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Writing for me is about escapism. I can immerse myself in an entirely different character when writing, and begin to lose reality for a huge length of time. It's also a lot like Dumbledore's Pensieve - I feel like I'm pulling strands of thought away from my mind and committing them to a medium completely contrary to the one they would ordinarily be a part of. In that way it's stress relieving.

I would also say that capturing the beauty of certain parts of reality and removing the scars that are eminent in the real world appeals to me. I consider myself to be something of a "landscape" writer, in that I prefer to set the majority of scenes in nature rather than in artificial environments. That in itself is somewhat strange for me, being predominantly interested in sci-fi, but there are ways of accomodating both the artificiality and the naturality of life with comfort.

In some ways, artificial means evil and natural means good, to me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I write because I enjoy it. It's one of the few things that I like doing regardless of end result. E.g., I excersise because it's good for me, I work for money, I work to pass my exams, I take exams (etc), but with writing I enjoy it for it's own sake.
    i also feel a deep need to scribble down what I am feeling/experiencing at certain moemnt, either beacuse I don't want to forget it, or because it's too much to keep in my head, I have to get rid of it. Kindof like the pensive in Harry potter. apologies for the harry potter reference.
    Yeah (just nicking ideas of the post above me) it's also about escapism (there are lts of reasons I write!). I don't juts write about another world, I live in it. It's bizzare returning sometimes, and swhen I started writing my current novel I have some diffucluty separating reality from my own written dreamings!
    Ok, last reason, I promise: In some part, I write to please. i like it when people like my stories. I used to tell stories to my kid siblings when I was younger, now I writye them instead.
    over and out...

ReputationRep:
    I plan an started writing a trilogy a few year's back but didn't really havemuch time between all my schoolwork.

I currently have quite a nice script for a play in my head based on shanty town/gang life, but getting down to writing it is another thing. I miss having lots of free time to write.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, the dream of the trilogy I have an entire trilogy-ish thing planned out - a prequel and a sequel to the one I'm currently writing - but the damn thing just refuses to write itself, and so I, like the dupe I am, try to write it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the hard part with writing is definitely the stupidly long time it takes. That's why I'm beginning to branch into poetry too, since that takes about an hour or two and you can do it on the go.

I write different things for different reasons. Novels are because I think of an idea that on a whim seems original, fun and perhaps something that might even be interesting to read. Poetry, on the other hand, is something to express a sentiment, maybe you're feeling particularly angry or happy at the world and so you write down your feelings.

To be honest though, I'm mostly just writing so that I can have my name somewhere after I'm gone. Sort of like a really modest form of immortality, since my philosophy is that unless you live on in name then you'll disappear of the face of the Earth.

ReputationRep:
    Actually something else, wanted to ask has anyone ever thought up an idea or a scene that has really affected you every time you think of it?

I've been thinking of a horror story in which there's a scene that for some reason really scares me whenever I think of it. Wierd, eh?

Also, out of interest, how many people here have actually published a novel / poetry / etc officially? Not trying to assess the skill of people here, more wondering how difficult it is. :P

ReputationRep:
    The problem I'm having at the moment is trying to think up a catchy title for my short story. I am so crap at this.

(Original post by Killer_Queen)
    The problem I'm having at the moment is trying to think up a catchy title for my short story. I am so crap at this.
    Have you written your short story yet?

Brainstorm any ideas that you have, set the piece of paper aside for a while, and then go back and look at it after you have given it some thought. If you still can't decide, you could always have a TSR poll .

Are there a few words or a short sentence in your story that more or less sum up the entire plot? Many books use a summary word/sentence e.g. a name (Poppy Shakespeare) or a question (when did you last see your father?).

Sorry, I've not been particularly helpful!

ReputationRep:
    The trees wave gently in the breeze
    Look around everyone is at ease
    Peaceful nature as I glance above
    Clouds move as calmly as the Dove
    Who knows what is coming next
    This poem is my special effect
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Okay, I've been trying to get someone to look over this for me, buuut, I thought here would be so much better. I'd love for anyone to tell me what they think; it doesn't matter whether you love it or hate it.

Scotland is where I want to go, back home.
    Where home used to be before everything changed,
    I ran away from the problems, vowing never to go back,
    Unless it was safe. But then, they could still be watching for me,
    Waiting on the day for me to go back home.

I didn't cause that much trouble, I was always good in school.
    I fell in with a bad crowd and its their fault I turned out the way I am,
    The blame is better shared as I know I'm not the common problem.
    They tried to tell me to stop. The family begged me to turn myself in,
    But I had to run away, and I said I would always go back home.

They searched for weeks, hoping to find me, dead or alive.
    At this point, it didn't matter, I became public enemy number one,
    And it still was not my fault. My friends began selling storied to newspapers,
    Making a quick buck on the back of my misfortunes, they told them everything,
    Especially the parts about my hiding place and my plans to go back home.

Running solved my problems, being away from everything made it clearer.
    I knew it would be difficult to go back, thirty years on, and they still wrote about me,
    They called me 'the copy cat'. I only did as I was told. The family told the newspapers,
    They said they had disowned me, that I was no longer welcome, so where was I meant to go?
    I didn't know the answers anymore, would it be possible for me to go back home.

I decided to go back. Got a train from my hiding place to go back home.
    The old house wasn't there anymore. The family wasn't there anymore.
    Nothing was there anymore. Heather grew where my bedroom had once been.
    The family had moved, only down the road. I got to the house and I knocked on the door.
    The sister answered, she was old now. And I said, 'Sis, I came back home, just for you!'

She wasn't pleased to see me, it had been thirty years or so without even the mention of a how do you do.
    Birthdays and Christmas' came and went. The family grew. But I'd lost my mammy.
    She'd died a few months before I came back, on my 48th birthday. They all said it was my fault.
    I knew it wasn't. It was all their fault. Because of them I got in trouble, and I had to run away.
    Afterall, I knew I shouldn't have come back, because I can't go back home. My mammy's no there.

So, yeah, thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but do any of you writers know how to 'cure' writers block? some tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but do any of you writers know how to 'cure' writers block? some tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Write anything - even nonsense is better than absence.
    Write something or do something in a different medium. Trying to write a novel? Do a little poetry. Trying to do a screenplay? Try drawing or sculpting.
    Do a plan and then make your entire writing process just hanging flesh on the bones.

And most of all watch these videos. http://www.videojug.com/tag/get-creative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakunin)
    Write anything - even nonsense is better than absence.
    Write something or do something in a different medium. Trying to write a novel? Do a little poetry. Trying to do a screenplay? Try drawing or sculpting.
    Do a plan and then make your entire writing process just hanging flesh on the bones.

And most of all watch these videos. http://www.videojug.com/tag/get-creative
    What he said. I usually go and write something short, but try to make it as entertaining as possible, even if it's just me that's having fun. Keep doing that until you get ideas for your main project, and voila - writer's block vanished

ReputationRep:
    Eat cheese and sleep! You may laugh but cheese makes you dream and dreams are just a world of creative imagination!!

ReputationRep:
    Just joined in a bout of mental writer's block!!!!
    Tips for removing this hellish thing?!

ReputationRep:
    The best thing about writing is that you can fashion whatever you like out of practically nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a newbie writer and I've just started writing my first script. It's for Doctor Who and is going to be the first of a set of 4 that have interlocked story point (sort of like how things crop up in the real series) that end with a big reveal. I was just wondering how people go about picking names for their characters? I'm having real trouble with it. I can create a persona for them but just can't get the name right. Too obvious and it might give a secret about them away, to simple and it might seem cliche, and when it comes to alien races finding the right name is even harder, since "bugmen" will never do.

ReputationRep:
    for me, if the character is human () I pick the ethnicity of a character first, and start from there. I choose a name best suited for the character.

ReputationRep:
    Only if I was an ******** trying to be funny.

ReputationRep:
    Q: Does anyone here do any roleplaying? No, I don't mean dressing up as wizards and going round casting spells on your friends. I mean cooperative story writing (on other boards.)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.