Turn on thread page Beta

Writers Society! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    I'm in such a dilemma. I haven't even started it yet. I shall start it tonight. I promise:creep:
    is this just like a leisure sort of thing?

or school

anyways, ive been planning on a novel to write about a quarantined hospital (it is better than it sounds, trust me)....but im joining NanoWriMo :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    is this just like a leisure sort of thing?

or school

anyways, ive been planning on a novel to write about a quarantined hospital (it is better than it sounds, trust me)....but im joining NanoWriMo :eek3:
    I'm part of this Creative writing group and she assigned each and every one of us to start a beginning of a novel. I'm usually quite straightforward about this, but for some reason I keep postponing it. This coming fron an English lit student:rolleyes:

:cool: What's NanoWriMo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    I'm part of this Creative writing group and she assigned each and every one of us to start a beginning of a novel. I'm usually quite straightforward about this, but for some reason I keep postponing it. This coming fron an English lit student:rolleyes:

:cool: What's NanoWriMo?
    Im part of this writing group too in edinburgh, and it rocks... but the best news is we get funding to publish and advertise an actual book?!?! None of my friends care though

well its this international internet thing where they set u a challenge of writing a 50, 000 word novel in one month (november)....

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisnano

ReputationRep:
    Im part of this writing group too in edinburgh, and it rocks... but the best news is we get funding to publish and advertise an actual book?!?! None of my friends care though

well its this international internet thing where they set u a challenge of writing a 50, 000 word novel in one month (november)....

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisnano
    WOW. That does sound interesting

50,000 words seem fair but in one month that would be rather difficult to finish.

:five: We'll get the chance to publish poems but probably not an actual novel:sad:

I was going to enter this Politics competition which requires a 1,750 word essay, but the subject matter is rather tedious:p:

ReputationRep:
    EW. National November Writing Month. Did it last year. lol! I didn't even reach 1K!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    EW. National November Writing Month. Did it last year. lol! I didn't even reach 1K!
    :ninja: planning to do it this year, but i have sooooo many tests and stuff that month its not even funny....oh the irony.

ReputationRep:
    ^^

Good luck in your tests!

ReputationRep:
    I got this (awesome?) idea for a long story, wondering if I need to have some special english skills to pull it off like english A-level, all I got is an GCSE English A.....

ReputationRep:
    ^^ DR X. No. Just write. You don't need a qualification to write. You do need a goot idea and a flair for writing though. And most importantly, you need to love writing but have to treat it like a job.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    I got this (awesome?) idea for a long story, wondering if I need to have some special english skills to pull it off like english A-level, all I got is an GCSE English A.....
    oh do spill :p:

nah you dont have to be good at english to be good at writing... :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    That's all I've got with regard to English 'qualifications', and I'm getting ever-closer to finishing a novel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    Not at all - many great authors / writers had zero official qualifications (although arguably many unofficial ones, eg leading an exciting life, being very wide-read etc).
    And I was a published novelist before finishing my A-level english.

In short: there is no correlation.

However, it might be an idea to look at particular books, eg "Story" or "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" or similar to help with eg story-crafting (plotting, pacing etc) and there are similar books / articles for character creation and so on and so forth.
    Naturally, there is plenty of advice floating on the net too.

@Jayk: Hi!
    Amazed (but glad!) that this place is still alive lol :P

ReputationRep:
    Can I join?
    I've written lots of poetry (some of which has won school prizes), a novella which I'm adapting into a screenplay and a short play which won an award for young writers in my county, and I'm also currently directing it for my school!
    *knock knock*

Oh, and "cellar door" lolz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Esh)
    @Jayk: Hi!
    Amazed (but glad!) that this place is still alive lol :P
    'Ellew :five: And indeed...rather impressive, ain't it?

ReputationRep:
    HELLLLLOOOOOOOO!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyone still here?

Anyone feel like some reviving? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    MEEE!!

I'm writing right now!

ReputationRep:
    HELLLLLOOOOOOOO!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyone still here?

Anyone feel like some reviving? :unsure:

I don't know. Let me check!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. Let me check!
    I think the pokemon society has more posts than us :unsure:

Anyways, this society definitely needs to be revived. We are the creativity and imagination of the future! :woo:

Who's with me?!?!

---------

Trying to do Nano... and failing horribly

ReputationRep:
    I think the pokemon society has more posts than us :unsure: Oh my!

Anyways, this society definitely needs to be revived. We are the creativity and imagination of the future! :woo:

Who's with me?!?! MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

---------

Trying to do Nano... and failing horribly
    NaNo is horrible. I just can't do it.

ReputationRep:
    OMG! are you doing nano this year?! :confused: And i know what you mean by horrible, ive written 43 pages of crap.... :woo:

Seriously, is it just us 2 in this?! Thats kind disheartening... where is everyone else?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.