Turn on thread page Beta

Writers Society! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've always kind of enjoyed writing, but I feel like I have no creativity. Like at school, if a teacher said write a stroy about x, I would love it and write a great story. But if s/he just said write a story, I couldn't do it. I often make up quite complicated scenarios in my head, but they're never completely my own, they always seem to kind of be an amalagmation of various films I have watched with a bit of my own ideas thrown in. I would really like to be able to write something, but I don't really know where to get any ideas Anyone got any hints? I think this would be a good year to start as I am on a gap year and fairly free. I have time to write and I want to be able to, but I can't seem to get off the ground.

If anyone can actually help me, reputation will come your way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    Hey

I've always kind of enjoyed writing, but I feel like I have no creativity. Like at school, if a teacher said write a stroy about x, I would love it and write a great story. But if s/he just said write a story, I couldn't do it. I often make up quite complicated scenarios in my head, but they're never completely my own, they always seem to kind of be an amalagmation of various films I have watched with a bit of my own ideas thrown in. I would really like to be able to write something, but I don't really know where to get any ideas Anyone got any hints? I think this would be a good year to start as I am on a gap year and fairly free. I have time to write and I want to be able to, but I can't seem to get off the ground.

How to come up with ideas??? Such a horrible question because there really isn't any answer but I will say you need to expose yourself to these ideas so:

pick up a newspaper or magazine
    listen to some music
    watch a movie
    go shopping with friends
    and put yourself in really boring situations so you have to rely on your brain for ideas

Exercise your mind also. Free write for ten minutes every day!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    theres reputation ....

im late for school now >.<
    but sure, i'll help some time later...

I didn't know there was a Writers Soc. Is this where we discuss things, or post our writings, or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I didn't know there was a Writers Soc. Is this where we discuss things, or post our writings, or what?

You can do anything you want, you can discuss books, authors or post what you want and other people will try to help if you so wish.

And i think there will be competitions as well?

Or just rant about life.... :woo:

(Original post by spacepirate-James)

You can do anything you want, you can discuss books, authors or post what you want and other people will try to help if you so wish.

And i think there will be competitions as well?

Or just rant about life.... :woo:
    Cheers!

The kind of fiction I like to read these days, and also write occaisonally, are writers like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Gunther Grass and Franz Kafka. What do people think of that kind of writing?

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Ok, this happens to me a lot, i see films and tv shows and i want to write something "better" based on that.

Personally, i keep a little notebook and jot down basically anything, from conversations to peoples names. Just anything that sounds interesting.

If you want to get an idea, just brainstorm perhaps on a piece of paper, on anything that comes into your head. If you arty get a board and just create a collage board of things you might use, like bus tickets, pictures, words anything you want. And keep sticking till something comes out.

Ideas can practically come from anything, start with simple things (and then build up to a big complicated plot). Perhaps use your own life, and then do one of the "What if?" questions. For example, "What if... there was no such thing as school?", "What if... all schools taught religion as opposed to science?", "What if... one day the whole of the UK dissapeared?"

Ok i admit those were bad, but they get you started. Another technique, is get a box and then place inside it bits of paper with random words such as genre's, objects etc...

Then i just write about it, no matter how silly, weird it is. The tip is to just keep writing a little each day etc...

And, don't worry, original ideas are hard to come by, as Wilde said "Talent borrows... Genius steals.". We'll always help if you want?

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Ah not much, just writing >.< nonstop writing, constant writing :eek3: (nano)

Trying to do poetry as well, but school is just taking over my life...

You?
    Oh yeah. You're doing that poetry competition right? Good luck with that I seem to have abandoned my novel

I have to do Poetry in Creative Writing:woo:

Ah I'm good thanks. Just a bit preoccupied with college. I'm getting so much work:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this happens to me a lot, i see films and tv shows and i want to write something "better" based on that.

Personally, i keep a little notebook and jot down basically anything, from conversations to peoples names. Just anything that sounds interesting.

If you want to get an idea, just brainstorm perhaps on a piece of paper, on anything that comes into your head. If you arty get a board and just create a collage board of things you might use, like bus tickets, pictures, words anything you want. And keep sticking till something comes out.

Ideas can practically come from anything, start with simple things (and then build up to a big complicated plot). Perhaps use your own life, and then do one of the "What if?" questions. For example, "What if... there was no such thing as school?", "What if... all schools taught religion as opposed to science?", "What if... one day the whole of the UK dissapeared?"

Ok i admit those were bad, but they get you started. Another technique, is get a box and then place inside it bits of paper with random words such as genre's, objects etc...

Then i just write about it, no matter how silly, weird it is. The tip is to just keep writing a little each day etc...

And, don't worry, original ideas are hard to come by, as Wilde said "Talent borrows... Genius steals.". We'll always help if you want?
    Haha, love it. Wilde was totally awesome.

Yeah, I've got an idea now. Like a main character, a few others by default - though I haven't thought much about characterisation/personality yet - and a vague plot. The first two thirds, and an ending. I can't quite work out how to structure that little section in between. But its something. Its a start. Its vaguely about gymnastics but I tried to take a different slant on it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

_____ Pick a book. A book you like. Now switch the MC's gender. Change location. Change time period by at least 5 years if time period is known. Add a few characters. Take away a few characters. Change th genres. If the original is fantasy change it to YA Urban Fantasy. Take the summary, change the first line. Get rid of the rest and write the summary in your own words. Change character names. Change age demographics. And voila! Now you can't get sued for plagiarism! lol!

_____ Buy a really pretty notebook you like. But a pen you like. Write random words in the notebook as they come to you. When facing Writer's Block, look through it.

_____ Pick a random genre. Add a few quirky characters. Choose a theme for the novel (revenge, lost love, searching). Pick a country. Pick a city. Take a piece of paper. write down the first line of the novel. Use it to write a summary in detail. Then use the first line and start writing.

The 1st one is the best!

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I've got an idea now. Like a main character, a few others by default - though I haven't thought much about characterisation/personality yet - and a vague plot. The first two thirds, and an ending. I can't quite work out how to structure that little section in between. But its something. Its a start. Its vaguely about gymnastics but I tried to take a different slant on it.

Have you ever heard on the Snowflake method?

If not, I can't explain it well but here is the link. It really helped when I started off. Not so much now but my characters have taken form so I don't find much use for it.

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    Oh yeah. You're doing that poetry competition right? Good luck with that I seem to have abandoned my novel

I have to do Poetry in Creative Writing:woo:

Ah I'm good thanks. Just a bit preoccupied with college. I'm getting so much work:rolleyes:
    Awww man, don't abandon your novel? Was it going badly? Cause honestly, there is no better feeling than actually finishing a novel!

Creative writing? Is that a subject/course or part of english. We don't get that this year, since we're now on more maturestuff like critical essays. :mad:

I :love: Wilde... but i digress

You mind sharing the plot? It sounds quite young adult/mainstream perhaps? As i said, don't worry about the minute plot details, they can be changed/smoothed out later. What you need now is a couple lines (a synopsis) of the plot and a vague idea of the characters.

Then just start writing?

ReputationRep:
    Hibz, what happened to your novel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    Hibz, what happened to your novel?
    Awww man, don't abandon your novel? Was it going badly? Cause honestly, there is no better feeling than actually finishing a novel!

Creative writing? Is that a subject/course or part of english. We don't get that this year, since we're now on more maturestuff like critical essays. :mad:
    I'm not:p: I just haven't written anything for a while. I'll probably continue after my studies or something:o:

I'm hoping to finish it though:yep:

An enrichment course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    I'm not:p: I just haven't written anything for a while. I'll probably continue after my studies or something:o:

I'm hoping to finish it though:yep:

An enrichment course

What is it about?

And NEVER give up!!

ReputationRep:
    What is it about?

And NEVER give up!!
    To sum it up in simple words, it's about a romantic tragedy:p:

I will not LOL

ReputationRep:

You mind sharing the plot? It sounds quite young adult/mainstream perhaps? As i said, don't worry about the minute plot details, they can be changed/smoothed out later. What you need now is a couple lines (a synopsis) of the plot and a vague idea of the characters.

Then just start writing?
    Basically it is about a successful gymnast coming out of the sport and having trouble adjusting to the world around her - because gymnastics is so intense they often don't get much of a social life and can be much more immature than their peers. And they only get very little time in the spotlight before they fade. You see a lot of crap on the TV about gymnastics and I wanted to write something that felt a bit more real and also is about the stars that have faded not just the ones who are still shining.
    So yeah, its gonna start with her on top and then probably flash back to how she got there. Then fading from gymnastics and having to leave the gym and make her way in life, the mistakes she makes (they're gonna be BIG ones haha) and then like resolving them, coming back home etc. Thinking a slightly Prodigal Son ending.
    I have a few flashes of specific moments as well but not a full detailed idea. I need to flesh it out and work out where I am going and more importantly HOW, do some characterising etc.

Note to self: join this soc.

ReputationRep:
    Basically it is about a successful gymnast coming out of the sport and having trouble adjusting to the world around her - because gymnastics is so intense they often don't get much of a social life and can be much more immature than their peers. And they only get very little time in the spotlight before they fade. You see a lot of crap on the TV about gymnastics and I wanted to write something that felt a bit more real and also is about the stars that have faded not just the ones who are still shining.
    So yeah, its gonna start with her on top and then probably flash back to how she got there. Then fading from gymnastics and having to leave the gym and make her way in life, the mistakes she makes (they're gonna be BIG ones haha) and then like resolving them, coming back home etc. Thinking a slightly Prodigal Son ending.
    I have a few flashes of specific moments as well but not a full detailed idea. I need to flesh it out and work out where I am going and more importantly HOW, do some characterising etc.

Note to self: join this soc.
    So i guess you do gymnastics? :confused:

No really like it, and the vague idea does sound like you could build it into a really nice novel! And gymnastics is one of those things you don't often see in novels (its usually ballet or football....*pukes*). Anyway, your plan seems good enough, that's usually what i get up to.

Do you plan on working on this then? Cause if so, then we can all help. I'm writing a novel now, and can sorta gently guide you (note, that i'm not a professional, and all advice might need a block of salt)...

As people have said, just write. Get the first chapter done!!!!!!!!! :woo:

X
    He he, love your sig... true edward cullen might be a ******, but no one can deny his general hotness in that photo :coma:

------

HELL YES! I'm nearly at 30,000 words?!?!?! :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Cheers!

The kind of fiction I like to read these days, and also write occaisonally, are writers like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Gunther Grass and Franz Kafka. What do people think of that kind of writing?
    :unsure: Not that acquainted with those people sorry, any good? what kind of writing do they do? They sound like good authors.... If you want, could you recommend some good stuff to read (short stories), i'm just curious... I've heard of Kafka, but none of the others....and that makes me sad...

--------

ATTENTION WRITERS

There's a Prose Competition! In TSR, and if i might say, the stimulus is pretty darn amazing.

So please do it guys, cause i know you all can. Link below

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post22290980

ReputationRep:
    So i guess you do gymnastics? :confused:

No really like it, and the vague idea does sound like you could build it into a really nice novel! And gymnastics is one of those things you don't often see in novels (its usually ballet or football....*pukes*). Anyway, your plan seems good enough, that's usually what i get up to.

Do you plan on working on this then? Cause if so, then we can all help. I'm writing a novel now, and can sorta gently guide you (note, that i'm not a professional, and all advice might need a block of salt)...

As people have said, just write. Get the first chapter done!!!!!!!!! :woo:

He he, love your sig... true edward cullen might be a ******, but no one can deny his general hotness in that photo :coma:

------

HELL YES! I'm nearly at 30,000 words?!?!?! :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
    Yeah I was a gymnast for a few years and a coach for a few more, though only at recreational level. I follow elite gymnastics and have a lot of knowledge about both the sport and the lives of the girls who do it.

I definitely haven't got enough to start writing yet, I'm gonna snowflake it. Cus like I said I know the first 6/10 of the novel and the ending, but the bit in between is too vague atm.

Why does everyone think Cullmen is a ******? I mean he had a jaw you could cut cheese on and far too much hair, but that doesn't make him gay does it?

30,000 words! Isn't that like 75 pages? Well done, awesome :awesome:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.