Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just joined the society. So, yeah. Yay Sims!

ReputationRep:
    I just joined the society. So, yeah. Yay Sims!
    Hey wottabout. Yay for SIMS! There seems to be a lot of quotes in this board.

ReputationRep:
    Greetings all new members!

So, what does everyone find inspires them? For me it's almost always music - just a line, or a tune that throws a picture into my head. It starts with music, which gives me a mental image or snapshot of a mood or a situation, and it all sort of expands from there. This is why I like folk music... it paints pictures for me. :p: Where do the rest of you get ideas?

ReputationRep:
    An intriguing question!

Most of my inspiration comes from TV shows and movies; but I have been known to draw inspiration from absolutely anywhere! Books, music, video games (particularly ones with strong narratives); anything, really! I particularly love inspiration that comes from unexpected places

I had a plot idea but then I realised it was farr too similar to the Ross/Rachel subplot in Friends.

ReputationRep:
    What inspires me? Well, a lot of things. The success of other authors, for example; they manage to create various characters / places / worlds and implant them so stongly in my mind. That all inspires me to further creation on my behalf! Scenery is often very inspiring, I fing. Get the right time of day, the right lighting, and you have the feeling that anything can happen. Especially if you then see someone somewhere in the distance, bending over doing something, and you feel that there is a story behind it, and want to encorporate it.

kirstinx, do you think that the "Ross/Rachel subplot" has only ever been done in Friends? It's probably been done a hundred times! But there are only ever 5 stories to tell anyway! (or however many it is, can't remember off the top of my head) So don't let that stop you. If you start writing it, I'm sure you'll find that you're giving it different aspects, that haven't been looked at before, or that you put it in a different setting, or do something original to it. If anything, at least start writing it, just for the sake of writing something Worth giving it a go, even if it doesn't end up going anywhere

So, is anyone doing the Write A Book In a Month thing? 'Cos it starts in November, and today's the first! I was thinking of not signing up, but doing the writing anyway, but then decided against it in the end.

I am doubting it because after I thought of it (I got it from a song) and then ways to develop it I just couldn't stop thinking about Friends, it did have different aspects, but it reminding me of Friends put me off. Although the only part that is like Friends is the fact two people break up and they still love each other but thats done everywhere :p:

I think I am a little too Friends obssessed:p:

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the Ross/Rachel thing from friends is that it has wholely prevented people named Ross and Rachel from getting together, because there's the whole 'OMG! Ross and Rachel! That's SOOOOOOOO cute!!!!'. Trust me, I know! :mad:

Friends does rock apart from that, though!

David Schwimmer was on the NTA tonight :love:

ReputationRep:
    NTA :confused:

National Television Awards:p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, ok. Ignoramus, I am

ReputationRep:
    I once got a story idea from the anime Bleach. I knew that it was too much like Bleach, so I changed it and changed it until I really fell in love with the story . . . then I realized that I'd turned it into almost the same story as The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer.

ReputationRep:
    I once got a story idea from the anime Bleach. I knew that it was too much like Bleach, so I changed it and changed it until I really fell in love with the story . . . then I realized that I'd turned it into almost the same story as The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer.
    I've never seen or heard of neither one of those but I think that's rather funny. Also ironic.

I don't knwo where I get inspiration from.. When I was younger I had these toy horses and I always made up funny little stories that went with them. I think that's where I got my inspiration. But sadly, I can't think up a good place to start. I did start on writing on someting, but I'm suffering from a serious case of Writer's Block.

ReputationRep:
    Cure for writer's block = smashing your head against a real block!

Walls are excellent block substitutes

Nah...best cure - I find - is to watch as many of your favourite movies as you can in as short a time as possible. Works wonders!

ReputationRep:
    I think banging my head against a wall is the best kind of cure for writer's block.

ReputationRep:
    throwing things across the room tends to help. Not glass though... tends to be a little messy when it smashes... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I find that throwing the computer that I'm writing the story on against the wall is a good cure for writer's block. I think of loads of things to write about after I do that.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I force myself to write when I have writer's block. I have a separate user area on the PC that I've pledged not to use for anything but writing, and I'm not allowed to log off until I've written something. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Spend a short time away from the story. That can involve doing things completelydifferent, or it can mean moving away from the story, and delving into the characters a bit. Find out what your characters favourite food is, what kind of car they'd like to drive, and what kind they'd really drive, give them history; what was their best/most memorable birthday? What would they really appreciate as a gift from someone. Or draw up maps of places, doodle random things, and see how they fit in. If they don't, doesn't matter, you've had a good time doodling, if they can, all the better.

The negative side about spending time away from the story properly (i.e. nothing to do with it at all) is that you'll grow too distanced from it, and when you want to come back to it, it will've gone too far.

I think that could be a reason why so many people start writing (especially when they're younger) but then stop after a few pages and never come back to it. They start off, and it's going well, but then can't think of what to write, exasperate over it for a few minutes / hours / day. Then move away thinking "I'll come back to it" but don't, because when they do get back to it, it doesn't enthuse them in the same way. Their attention span is less as well.

It may well also be therapeutic to do a Ready, Steady, Write! Get out the writer's best friends (pen n paper), and something to time yourself / countdown timer / egg timer, start writing, and don't stop writing until the pinger goes! Set it for 1 minute, 3 minutes, just 30 seconds or however long, and get anything down. Doesn't matter how crazy it is. We've done this a couple of times in our school's Writers' Group, and it has produced some . . . interesting pieces :p:

I think the main thing, however, is not to worry too much about it. If you think too much of it, then you'll clamp yourself up even more, and the chances are that it'll become even worse. Just step back for a bit, take a breather, refreshen your mind. If it's still not coming, never mind, don't get worried about it. It'll come when it does.

Personally, with so little time, I just push other things aside when I feel in a writing mood, and get something down, rather than say that I've got to do something else first. Physics, French essays etc. can be done anytime, but writing only when that rare gust of enthusiasm comes, blowing ideas around your head so that you have to get them down and show what you thought of. etc.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.