Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by On The Other Hand)
    Yes, definitely. Less distractions and the only thing you have to look forward to is boring old sleep... if I was to draw a graph of my productivity potential it would be like:
    01.00-02.00: ++++++
    02.00-03.00: +++++++
    03.00-04.00: ++++++++
    These are by far my most productive hours too, I also sometimes look at the Asian markets at this time as well :lol:

Well I finished with 7 pages of notes... now to put the dialogue and more detail into each scene tonight, I was aiming for a 90 minute film but I think I might be looking at 150 minutes from the notes :lol:

(Original post by tehFrance)
    These are by far my most productive hours too, I also sometimes look at the Asian markets at this time as well :lol:

Well I finished with 7 pages of notes... now to put the dialogue and more detail into each scene tonight, I was aiming for a 90 minute film but I think I might be looking at 150 minutes from the notes :lol:
    Just write the whole thing and then cut it down heavily in your 1st or 2nd edit.
    Personally I write from my notes/head and then add things on during the first edit that I come up with, then after that I cut during my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc edits.

(Original post by Genocidal)
    Just write the whole thing and then cut it down heavily in your 1st or 2nd edit.
    Personally I write from my notes/head and then add things on during the first edit that I come up with, then after that I cut during my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc edits.
    Yeah that is what I am going to do, I plan on writing it all out over the next week and then cut it down.

After that my second project is a Police Crime Drama (current one is about LGTB adoption)... I know done before but I am hoping it has an additional edge to it :cool:

For those that wants reviews of their work, I found TriggerStreet earlier and it seems to be good but before you can upload your own work (copyright it first mind, WGA West will copyright most things... I'm not sure about UK based) you need to review 4 screenplays for instance although you can upload short stories, short films, plays etc.

Hope you guys find it as useful as I have as there is also advice for the n00b too

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo I'd like to join this soc. I love writing, still got a lot of improvement to go but I've had a lot of positive feedback, and I've had a couple of poems published in children's poetry anthologies. I have one major problem when I write though - I always picture it as a film when I'm writing it, whereas I really want to write it as a novel, and then if I were to get published, THEN I could picture it as a film.

(Original post by madders94)
    Hellooo I'd like to join this soc. I love writing, still got a lot of improvement to go but I've had a lot of positive feedback, and I've had a couple of poems published in children's poetry anthologies. I have one major problem when I write though - I always picture it as a film when I'm writing it, whereas I really want to write it as a novel, and then if I were to get published, THEN I could picture it as a film.
    What do you mean you picture it as a film?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean you picture it as a film?
    When I write it, I write it in terms of what would be the easiest to convert into a film, what would look really epic to an audience in a cinema, rather than what reads best to the reader.

Basically, the Twilight effect - Stephenie Meyer was getting way ahead of herself and wrote Twilight as a film-in-a-novel rather than a book.

When I write it, I write it in terms of what would be the easiest to convert into a film, what would look really epic to an audience in a cinema, rather than what reads best to the reader.

Basically, the Twilight effect - Stephenie Meyer was getting way ahead of herself and wrote Twilight as a film-in-a-novel rather than a book.
    It can be useful though since it's easier to picture the scene in your mind.

(Original post by tehFrance)
    So it is half past two in the morning and what am I doing? I'm writing my notes (three pages :eek:) for a screenplay, a new screenplay at that... I think I have found when I am at my best :lol:

Anyone else a nightowl? :holmes:
    I'm always wanting to get something down but I end up starting at 10pm ish at the earliest.

ReputationRep:
    It can be useful though since it's easier to picture the scene in your mind.
    I know, but I go further than that, and my story becomes more of a screenplay in paragraphs. Rather than something like "In her dream-like state, she drifted across the room towards the elegant baize door", I write "She crossed to the door". I focus more on the dialogue than the actual story and characters

I know, but I go further than that, and my story becomes more of a screenplay in paragraphs. Rather than something like "In her dream-like state, she drifted across the room towards the elegant baize door", I write "She crossed to the door". I focus more on the dialogue than the actual story and characters
    Well make that work for you. It's always better if the characters reveal information to the reader through dialogue rather than the author telling them. It makes it feel more real as the author is taking a back seat.

Just try and add a little more of the descriptive work during the editing stage.

ReputationRep:
    Well make that work for you. It's always better if the characters reveal information to the reader through dialogue rather than the author telling them. It makes it feel more real as the author is taking a back seat.

Just try and add a little more of the descriptive work during the editing stage.
    Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice!
    I'm glad to help, just ask if you need anymore.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Hello . I haven't wrote anything for about three years, and I'm quite rusty.. I used to love writing and I'm going to try to enter a few short story competitions... Just thought I'd say hi .

ReputationRep:

To the first part, it's more important to make sure that what you're writing, actually makes sense. It's great that you want it to be thrilling to the reader, but you need to include description to occasionally slow down the novel. Nobody wants to read a book that is all action and no development.

That's not the Twilight Effect. That's just how SM wrote Twilight. All authors will imagine their book as a sort of movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Hello . I haven't wrote anything for about three years, and I'm quite rusty.. I used to love writing and I'm going to try to enter a few short story competitions... Just thought I'd say hi .

Good luck with the competitions! I used to love entering for them!

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to this thread. I'm an aspiring writer and I intend to pursue a career in that field, preferably Journalism. ^^

ReputationRep:
    I was writing a bit the other day, I've a few ideas, basically it's a story about a homeless 10 year old that encounters a 'charlie and the chocolate factory' type situation where he's selected to be part of a governmental summer camp program. When he arrives at the camp he is overwhelmed by the luxory and high-end technology available to him, but the camp program is actually a smoke-screen, and the summer-camp facility is actually a testing ground for human augmentations (ala Deus Ex). I plan to deal with issues like trans-humanism and paranoia, two things I think are pretty relevant to the world at the minute. I'm just writing for my own enjoyment, but here's the first page, lemme know what you think.
    _
    _
    _
    _
    ' Light rays blazed through the glass like a giant magnifier, warming the cramped room interior and pronouncing the dust that swilled throughout the air. Little fractions of soil danced in the atmosphere, and like a dirty lung in its last stages of giving, the room heaved a heavy cry.

A young Caribbean boy stood atop a feeble bench in the corner of the room. He had positioned himself in a manner that allowed him a full view of the sky outside. He had a gangly appearance, highlighted by his disproportionately large head, as though his stringy limbs were mismatched to the bulbous skull that lay upon his sharp shoulders.

The room had only one window, a small window at that, but the boy made sure it was enough, and even as the hard sun relentlessly bore down on his tanned face, he continued gazing into the vast blue abyss.

His name was Jack, and for as long as his memory stretched, he had always loved staring into the sky. He wasn't particularly sure of why he enjoyed such an aimless activity, he could never precisely touch upon what it was. His thoughts on the matter had always alluded him, remaining clouded, and perhaps in that lay his answer, as if the clarity of his sky theater appealed to his indecisive nature.

Jack's eyes watered as he began losing the battle against the blind. He reluctantly withdrew his stare, and with a heavy heart he lept from his bench, landing on the dirt track below. He did so in a reproachful manner, for he knew that such moments of reflection were a luxury in this, usually chaotic, shoe-box.''

That's the first page.

(Original post by randymandy)
    I was writing a bit the other day, I've a few ideas, basically it's a story about a homeless 10 year old that encounters a 'charlie and the chocolate factory' type situation where he's selected to be part of a governmental summer camp program. When he arrives at the camp he is overwhelmed by the luxory and high-end technology available to him, but the camp program is actually a smoke-screen, and the summer-camp facility is actually a testing ground for human augmentations (ala Deus Ex). I plan to deal with issues like trans-humanism and paranoia, two things I think are pretty relevant to the world at the minute. I'm just writing for my own enjoyment, but here's the first page, lemme know what you think.
    _
    _
    _
    _
    ' Light rays blazed through the glass like a giant magnifier, warming the cramped room interior and pronouncing the dust that swilled throughout the air. Little fractions of soil danced in the atmosphere, and like a dirty lung in its last stages of giving, the room heaved a heavy cry.

A young Caribbean boy stood atop a feeble bench in the corner of the room. He had positioned himself in a manner that allowed him a full view of the sky outside. He had a gangly appearance, highlighted by his disproportionately large head, as though his stringy limbs were mismatched to the bulbous skull that lay upon his sharp shoulders.

The room had only one window, a small window at that, but the boy made sure it was enough, and even as the hard sun relentlessly bore down on his tanned face, he continued gazing into the vast blue abyss.

His name was Jack, and for as long as his memory stretched, he had always loved staring into the sky. He wasn't particularly sure of why he enjoyed such an aimless activity, he could never precisely touch upon what it was. His thoughts on the matter had always alluded him, remaining clouded, and perhaps in that lay his answer, as if the clarity of his sky theater appealed to his indecisive nature.

Jack's eyes watered as he began losing the battle against the blind. He reluctantly withdrew his stare, and with a heavy heart he lept from his bench, landing on the dirt track below. He did so in a reproachful manner, for he knew that such moments of reflection were a luxury in this, usually chaotic, shoe-box.''

That's the first page.
    A little short for a first page?

I think the description is done well here and an immediate introduction to the main character is always well received as I have someone to follow the story with now.

Obviously there is no real plot in that page as of yet but the basic plot that you outline sounds interesting, especially the part about paranoia as it is, and always has been, a massive thing in society.

The things I would change/warn you about are perhaps change "Light rays" and call it something like "golden rays of sun light" or just "sun light", for some reason "Light rays" just doesn't fit that well in my mind. Also where is he? In one paragraph he seems to be in a room whereas in another paragraph he seems to be outside. If this is supposed to be confusing then well done but otherwise I would say clarify it more.

I also noticed that you have a wide and varied vocabulary in you from the first page. The warning here is remember your audience, since it's fiction the reader is not going to want to reach for a dictionary if you overdo it with the big words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    To the first part, it's more important to make sure that what you're writing, actually makes sense. It's great that you want it to be thrilling to the reader, but you need to include description to occasionally slow down the novel. Nobody wants to read a book that is all action and no development.

That's not the Twilight Effect. That's just how SM wrote Twilight. All authors will imagine their book as a sort of movie.
    Most authors, however, manage to do what you said in the first part - make sense, and like Genocidal said, edit. The difference is that it doesn't seem like Stephenie Meyer did that, which is why I refer to it as the "Twilight effect" - that's the occurrence that stands out the most to me as someone who wrote their book without due care to the things that make a book stand out from a film.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a link to my blog if anyone is interested in reading.

http://kamilleelahi.blogspot.com/

So far, I have a rant on YA Literature and a post on Writer's Block.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.