Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzbag96)

hey i was just trying to give some advice , that i thought would help the person that i replied to ,
    Nothing wrong with that but Puffin would've given a rejection or wouldn't have even bothered replying. It's better to not submit an MS than feel crushed from a rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    Nothing wrong with that but Puffin would've given a rejection or wouldn't have even bothered replying. It's better to not submit an MS than feel crushed from a rejection.
    true dat
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think I can join this now!

I've decided to make time to write every night, I'm sorting of creating a diary of poems and very short stories/entries based, I'm primarily doing it so I can look back on it and maybe pass it on one day hopefully, and because I think it'll really help as something therapeutic. I don't have any intention of doing anything for publication, but I'm thinking of putting them up on a blog soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, very new here.

I used to love creative writing.. at school it was always the thing I could count on to wow my teachers and I always enjoyed doing it. Over the last few years I've let it slip. I have all sorts of excuses I could use, but at the end of the day, the important thing is I want to start again.. but I'm really struggling

I have no idea where to start looking for inspiration. I feel like I'll go to work all day and the only thing my brain can do it stare mindlessly at the tv or facebook and it makes me so sad I know I need to make a conscious effort.. but it feels like it would be easier with some ideas or inspiration. Even a starting point. Does anyone have any good methods of coming up with ideas or inspiring themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxjubixox)
    Hi all, very new here.

I used to love creative writing.. at school it was always the thing I could count on to wow my teachers and I always enjoyed doing it. Over the last few years I've let it slip. I have all sorts of excuses I could use, but at the end of the day, the important thing is I want to start again.. but I'm really struggling

I have no idea where to start looking for inspiration. I feel like I'll go to work all day and the only thing my brain can do it stare mindlessly at the tv or facebook and it makes me so sad I know I need to make a conscious effort.. but it feels like it would be easier with some ideas or inspiration. Even a starting point. Does anyone have any good methods of coming up with ideas or inspiring themselves?
    Don't put any pressure on yourself. I find that I get my best glimpses of inspiration when I'm just chilling out watching a movie or listening to some really good Classical music. I just let the content of the movie/song massage my mind into images and scenes .

You should also take inspiration from daily life. For example, I'll be sitting down, bored, wishing I was not bored and I'll imagine one of my characters sitting down being bored and staring into the sky/ceiling, then I might imagine what exactly my character is day dreaming about, then those day dream images of his/her can be transported into the make-up of the story world if I choose so. So yeah, hope this helps .

ReputationRep:
    Would love to join a group like this, I'm always writing little stories and pieces of literature in my free time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyranCurry)
    Would love to join a group like this, I'm always writing little stories and pieces of literature in my free time.
    Yeah, me too please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnJoe)
    Yeah, me too please?
    And me?

ReputationRep:
    ~I'll give you the honour of having me in your society...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexrose1)
    ~I'll give you the honour of having me in your society...
    No one replied yet >: .

ReputationRep:
    ooo I wanna be in the society

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Just found this thread and hope to join the society!

I am currently writing three novels on the go (but now REALLY concentrating on just one as it gets a bit stressful!) Two are fantasy/urban fantasy novels and the other is a realistic fiction set in modern day. Hope to finish the one novel by the time my gap year is over!

ReputationRep:
    i write detective stories inspired by Scandinavian works from authors such as Jo Nesbø, Asa Larsson, Arnaldur Indridason, Håkan Nesser, Karin Fossum and Yrsa Siguradottir...
    check out the latest:

http://whenastherye.blogspot.com

:bear:

Wow this place is dead

Quick update on my LGTB adoption screenplay... I canned it as it appeared to be an English version of Comme les autres which I shall be honest with you, although it came off good, I didn't like how similar it was.

I am starting on my Police drama thing tonight however I feel that there is not much room to manoeuvre tbh as most of them have been done already, from the alcoholic cop with murdered family to general thriller stopping terrorists winning in NY. I suppose it is more about your take on it than anything else isn't it?

Anyone here take creative/writing courses? I was thinking of taking a short course to help me get more of a direction... likewise I have looked at a MFA in Screenwriting from UCLA however I can't do that until I finish my undergrad course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Wow this place is dead

Quick update on my LGTB adoption screenplay... I canned it as it appeared to be an English version of Comme les autres which I shall be honest with you, although it came off good, I didn't like how similar it was.

I am starting on my Police drama thing tonight however I feel that there is not much room to manoeuvre tbh as most of them have been done already, from the alcoholic cop with murdered family to general thriller stopping terrorists winning in NY. I suppose it is more about your take on it than anything else isn't it?

Anyone here take creative/writing courses? I was thinking of taking a short course to help me get more of a direction... likewise I have looked at a MFA in Screenwriting from UCLA however I can't do that until I finish my undergrad course
    You might want to check and see if your local library runs any kind of course to help with these kinds of things. When I was living in Brighton I always used to do courses about novel writing given by fairly well published authors which was good.

Are you exclusively writing for screen or doing books as well?

(Original post by Nice Marmite)
    You might want to check and see if your local library runs any kind of course to help with these kinds of things. When I was living in Brighton I always used to do courses about novel writing given by fairly well published authors which was good.

Are you exclusively writing for screen or doing books as well?
    I don't think the library where I am is even open anymore :lolwut: then again I have been here for just under a week and then leave... no idea where the one in Kingston is but yeah I'll look it up

Tbh if it helps me get creative I'd write anything from books to short stories

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the library where I am is even open anymore :lolwut: then again I have been here for just under a week and then leave... no idea where the one in Kingston is but yeah I'll look it up

Tbh if it helps me get creative I'd write anything from books to short stories
    Oh dear, well even so, if there is something really good on nearish then it might be worth travelling. I don't know how well versed you are in this kind of thing, but for me it definitely helped me get to grips with the day to day life of a writer and the methods they use to make themselves work and crack on with a book.

Yeah I agree with you there, it's really good to stay active, creatively. At the moment I'm mostly writing poetry in preparation for my entry to the tower poetry competition. The £3000 would do me nicely haha.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There might be some writers groups near you, if you look around online.

I have had an idea for a second novel, and have been trying to work on the first one, I only have 1000 words ish, but every day I am trying to write something, even if it's only one or two sentences.

(Original post by Nice Marmite)
    Oh dear, well even so, if there is something really good on nearish then it might be worth travelling. I don't know how well versed you are in this kind of thing, but for me it definitely helped me get to grips with the day to day life of a writer and the methods they use to make themselves work and crack on with a book.

Yeah I agree with you there, it's really good to stay active, creatively. At the moment I'm mostly writing poetry in preparation for my entry to the tower poetry competition. The £3000 would do me nicely haha.
    Yeah I'll have a look around... are Online Courses from a reputable college/university worthwhile?

£3,000, what a prize good luck

Edit: For those that do a to of work and use Word but find it hard to keep track of everything as it is not in an easy location which you can switch between quickly for a split second and then back to the work you were doing, might I suggest Scrivener... it is also great for when you are doing essays
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah I'll have a look around... are Online Courses from a reputable college/university worthwhile?

£3,000, what a prize good luck

Edit: For those that do a to of work and use Word but find it hard to keep track of everything as it is not in an easy location which you can switch between quickly for a split second and then back to the work you were doing, might I suggest Scrivener... it is also great for when you are doing essays
    Is it worth the money? It looks like it would be quite useful

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.