Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I'm a bit wary of telling anyone what happens - I've had my ideas stolen before and I stopped writing for about a year because of it - but it's not actually referred to as a prologue, it's just a little tongue-in-cheek "survival guide" that is related to the story but doesn't exactly form a part of the story. The genre is fantasy but in the next two novels it'll probably become science fiction - I tried writing science fiction last year, and it went pretty well until I ran out of steam, but that's not going to happen this time - I have every little plot point and every note in my notebook that goes everywhere with me :awesome:

I've also been acting as a sort of PA for my boyfriend - he's written four books and has almost finished the fifth in a sci-fi series of ten books (he jokes that he'll be about eighty by the time he's finished, although it has only taken him about six years to do these five books, with lots of time off), and they're brilliant (well, I'm biased but he's had a lot of good feedback from people who've read it), so I've been finding him potential literary agents too I think the bit he's worried about is when he has to write about himself - he can write fiction, no problem, but he hates writing about himself
    Don't worry. I wasn't asking what happens. Merely the genre which can influence whether or not a prologue is needed. That's okay. As long as you don't call it a prologue. It turns people off faster than you can say Chapter 1.

Congrats to your bf. That's a lot of books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    Don't worry. I wasn't asking what happens. Merely the genre which can influence whether or not a prologue is needed. That's okay. As long as you don't call it a prologue. It turns people off faster than you can say Chapter 1.

Congrats to your bf. That's a lot of books!
    Nah, it's not a prologue, it's just the only word I could think of for "little chapter thats not a chapter that comes before chapter one", and "prologue" was easier to say

He's a busy bee, he's managed that alongside work and being in a medieval re-enactment group and our theatre group

ReputationRep:
    How have I not noticed this society before? Would it be ok if I joined?

ReputationRep:
    Can I join please?

I'm currently writing a novel and have been writing it for the past year. I write a page a day, this used to take me an hour, now I can do it in half and hour providing I don't get any blocks! Basically, my book is rather dark and has had my eyes starting to well up multiple times! This is rather rare for me as I rarely cry in books. I guess I'm just bonded more stringly to my characters. The book is told partly from the point of view of the villain - which I love! It's also made me get rather attached to her! I've also surprised myself by the amount of detail and ideas I've come up with for the species involved, their beliefs, their biology, etc.

I can share it, but it's still in its first draft and I'd prefer to send it over PM. I'd be grateful for feedback. My book does need serious editing as I know I've got that dreaded curse of too much description - I've written way too much. Considering the number of pages I've written I really should have finished the first draft by now or getting near to finishing it...

How do people sort out their descriptions and feelings/thoughts of characters? Do you write as much as you can down then cut out what's not necessary?

ReputationRep:
    Woo I've managed to bump up my word count! I'm at 40k haha

(Original post by Crabbiey)
    Can I join please?

I'm currently writing a novel and have been writing it for the past year. I write a page a day, this used to take me an hour, now I can do it in half and hour providing I don't get any blocks! Basically, my book is rather dark and has had my eyes starting to well up multiple times! This is rather rare for me as I rarely cry in books. I guess I'm just bonded more stringly to my characters. The book is told partly from the point of view of the villain - which I love! It's also made me get rather attached to her! I've also surprised myself by the amount of detail and ideas I've come up with for the species involved, their beliefs, their biology, etc.

I can share it, but it's still in its first draft and I'd prefer to send it over PM. I'd be grateful for feedback. My book does need serious editing as I know I've got that dreaded curse of too much description - I've written way too much. Considering the number of pages I've written I really should have finished the first draft by now or getting near to finishing it...

How do people sort out their descriptions and feelings/thoughts of characters? Do you write as much as you can down then cut out what's not necessary?
    Sounds good - it's great when you read about someone who has such a passion for the story they're writing and the characters they're writing about, because you know it's going to be great!

Generally, I try and write as much as possible (thanks to exams I've skimped on the description in my latest one so in the editing process, I have to go back and describe describe describe! which I'm not looking forwards to :mad: ), get down as many descriptive points and then cut out the bits that don't seem necessary
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Fresh meat :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I've nearly finished my first novel! It'll be the first novel I've ever properly finished... and once that's done, got to hope I manage to finish the other two in the trilogy too hehe

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, that's great! I so badly want to finish something, that's my biggest challenge I think. I convince myself that my writing is terrible to the point where I don't enjoy writing it any more then I just stop. The furthest I've gotten is about 40k...I love the characters and feel so bad for leaving them in limbo but I want to come back to it one day. There are some major structural issues.

How long is your novel going to be?

Oh and do you guys plan or just wing it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I wouldn't mind joining fellow writers!
    I've currently written a novel- however the characters aren't leaving me alone so I'm planning the second one (I sort of hope to make it a trilogy).

It's basically set during Victorian England and follows a criminal case that slowly ensnares the protagonist. Even though it's crime, I also had a lot of fun with social relationships between different characters, how different characters managed their social statuses and so on and so forth.

The Second one is set across the whole of Europe and follows the protagonist having to unravel the mystery of disappearing people...in Romania...particularly Transylvania

I just wrote the first novel for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) but I hope to finish editing the first and see whether anyone wants it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeamPingu)
    Hi
    I wouldn't mind joining fellow writers!
    I've currently written a novel- however the characters aren't leaving me alone so I'm planning the second one (I sort of hope to make it a trilogy).

It's basically set during Victorian England and follows a criminal case that slowly ensnares the protagonist. Even though it's crime, I also had a lot of fun with social relationships between different characters, how different characters managed their social statuses and so on and so forth.

The Second one is set across the whole of Europe and follows the protagonist having to unravel the mystery of disappearing people...in Romania...particularly Transylvania

I just wrote the first novel for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) but I hope to finish editing the first and see whether anyone wants it!
    I abandoned my NaNovel near the end of November (I got 60,000 words in the first two weeks, then ended up with tendonitis and lost interest in the story!)

Sounds good

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I'm writing, I have always been writing.

Has anyone ever attempted to get published? Seems like a scary thing to do but I have something I'm really excited about and have been thinking about it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belligerent ghoul)
    Ooh, that's great! I so badly want to finish something, that's my biggest challenge I think. I convince myself that my writing is terrible to the point where I don't enjoy writing it any more then I just stop. The furthest I've gotten is about 40k...I love the characters and feel so bad for leaving them in limbo but I want to come back to it one day. There are some major structural issues.

How long is your novel going to be?

Oh and do you guys plan or just wing it?
    My novel ended up at about 50,000, it's going to be longer once I've finished editing. I used to just wing it, but when I did that, I'd always end up running out of steam and some parts of my story wouldn't correspond properly to other bits because I was making it up as I went along. My current project (trilogy) is my most successful so far, and that's because I've planned it quite extensively.

(Original post by takeariskkiss)
    Hello everyone!

Has anyone ever attempted to get published? Seems like a scary thing to do but I have something I'm really excited about and have been thinking about it a lot.
    I'm not at the publishing stage yet, but my boyfriend is with the first two installments of his series (he's written the third and fourth and almost finished the fifth, but the first two are the only ones that are completely edited), and I'm trying to help him find agents at the moment.

Hello everyone!

I attempted it once but it didn't work out. The good thing is I completely understood why as the story and characters were pretty generic.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

All three of my novels were published. It's really difficult and so depressing when you get a string of rejection letters/emails from publishers/agents but it's rewarding when finally someone agrees to publish it!

Writing the query letter is the hardest part. That's a nightmare condensing a 100,000 word story into about ten lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeffy)
    All three of my novels were published. It's really difficult and so depressing when you get a string of rejection letters/emails from publishers/agents but it's rewarding when finally someone agrees to publish it!

Writing the query letter is the hardest part. That's a nightmare condensing a 100,000 word story into about ten lines.
    Have you got a link to some of your work/books?

ReputationRep:
    I have written over 13,000 words today. One chapter is 7,900 words long and I can honestly say I'm probably the proudest I've ever been of any piece of writing I've done - I really like what I've written

ReputationRep:
    I have written over 13,000 words today. One chapter is 7,900 words long and I can honestly say I'm probably the proudest I've ever been of any piece of writing I've done - I really like what I've written
    Wow, that's fantastic. What a productive day!

ReputationRep:
    Ever since I had my epic writing day and that chapter I'm really proud of, things are suddenly going really slow and writer's block is kicking in

ReputationRep:
    Ever since I had my epic writing day and that chapter I'm really proud of, things are suddenly going really slow and writer's block is kicking in
    I get this. I'll write tens of thousands of words in the space of a few days, and then nothing substantial for months on end.

I tend to spend the gaps working out little details, even if it's just trivial things in my notes rather than the story: exactly what kind of jacket does so-and-so wear, and where did he get it, and why does he like it? That sort of thing. That way, I'm still creatively engaged with the story even if I'm not writing it.

ReputationRep:
    I've been struggling to find an idea that I wanted to carry to full term, but luckily I've been doing a Creative Writing Dissertation this year; we have to write the first three chapters of a novel along with our research question and an analysis of our own work. It's forced me into writing 5000 words so far and after I've graduated it's an idea I'll happily finish

One more thing I wanted to ask: I realise that not all published books will succeed very well and some may barely sell at all, but is it generally very hard to get published? I always doubt my own work while i'm writing even though I've never received less than a first for my creative work and my tutors seem to love it.

I'd post some but I'm afraid of plagiarism software picking up on it so I can't yet

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.