Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good day to all. I wouldn't mind joining your society if that's ok, as I love creative writing in all forms. As a matter of fact I'm part way through writing a novel, 45000 words in, so not even half way. =( But still I'm trying hard to speed up and hopefully I will have it sorted by my A2s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaWulf)
    Good day to all. I wouldn't mind joining your society if that's ok, as I love creative writing in all forms. As a matter of fact I'm part way through writing a novel, 45000 words in, so not even half way. =( But still I'm trying hard to speed up and hopefully I will have it sorted by my A2s.
    Awesome!;thumbsup;

ReputationRep:
    Welcome! That's one long novel you're planning if you're not even half way, lol! *does a quick word count* I'm currently on... 39,588, just over half way. Wow. That's a lot of words... my God, I might be getting somewhere! *faints with shock*

Do people here prefer pen and paper, or computer? I simply cannot write by hand. I hate it. The ideas won't come. And it annoys me because my handwriting can't keep up with my flow of thoughts - it's slow, messy, hard to edit, I lose paper easily... Bah. Computers all the way. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyper-little-mushroom-men)
    Welcome! That's one long novel you're planning if you're not even half way, lol! *does a quick word count* I'm currently on... 39,588, just over half way. Wow. That's a lot of words... my God, I might be getting somewhere! *faints with shock*

Do people here prefer pen and paper, or computer? I simply cannot write by hand. I hate it. The ideas won't come. And it annoys me because my handwriting can't keep up with my flow of thoughts - it's slow, messy, hard to edit, I lose paper easily... Bah. Computers all the way. :p:
    I'm completely the opposite! I cannot bear to write by computer! I totally prefer writing by hand anyway but also because I find it so much more personal and original. Plus I find it quicker writing by hand and with a pen and paper I can do mind maps, drawings and side notes etc that all help me along the way with my development. I like my own handwriting more too!:p: It just seems more special to me.

I haven't posted in here for ages

I have no time to do any writing right now but I really want to base a novel on the concept of a Meat Loaf song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyper-little-mushroom-men)

*blinks*

*very quiet voice* Is 104,105 words too much then? And I'm only a third of the way through mine! Perhaps a trilogy is in order...

Though I totally agree, writing on computer's is infititely easier. Personally; I have two reasons for doing so:
    1. My hand-writing sucks. Even when I'm being careful it's barely legible.
    2. I can type at 62 words-per-minute (that's average real words per minute, as opposed to that stupid '5 character' system); which is just a little bit faster than I can write. Just a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elements)
    I'm completely the opposite! I cannot bear to write by computer! I totally prefer writing by hand anyway but also because I find it so much more personal and original. Plus I find it quicker writing by hand and with a pen and paper I can do mind maps, drawings and side notes etc that all help me along the way with my development. I like my own handwriting more too!:p: It just seems more special to me.
    I just scribble on Post-Its, lol! :p: Besides I'm completely paranoid about people seeing stuff before it's ready (though I couldn't say why they'd want to), and on a computer I can password, encrypt, bury in God knows how many levels of folders... I'm a folder freak. I probably have OCD.

Interesting. I don't like writing by hand because it looks too rough to me... I prefer the way it looks on screen, more real, how people would read it if (haha!) it were a real book. It's easier to separate the crap from the OK stuff if it's typed, I find.

Plus I tend to do multiple drafts and versions, and I'm much too lazy to type things up from a manuscript! :p: I like to have stuff at my fingertips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    I haven't posted in here for ages

I have no time to do any writing right now but I really want to base a novel on the concept of a Meat Loaf song.
    :five: Same here about the writing and posting thing but not about the Meat Loaf I'm afraid!;

:p:

ReputationRep:
    www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php last page, scroll down to 'Writers' Soc' and click 'Join this soc'. Then I can accept you

When writing book-wise, then comp all the way. If random inspirational things, then I prefer pen n paper, ['cos it flows better, and you can scribble thigns out.

A normal novel had about 90'000 words upwards. Our novel clocks in at around 180'000, which is rather large. Jayk if you've got over 100'000 and are a third of the way, then, yes, you may want to think aobut splitting it up into a trilogy or more/less.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I've been told that at 70,000 it's a short novel... then again, who's the person who decides these things? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    We now have two more members! Welcome, socialbutterfly888 and Jonah Ramone

First post in this thread for me. Thanks for the welcome.

I mainly write poetry, as opposed to novels. I don't have the discipline for novels.

For me the most creative time to write is after going to bed. Sounds weird, but given a bit of time to relax and think, seems to give me a clarity that I can't accomplish otherwise. I spend the next hour getting up, turning on the light and writing bits down and going back to bed!

ReputationRep:
    my first post in the writers society :party: yay!
    how do people find time to write? I find that with a levels, uni app and all the extracurricular malarkey im involved in, i don't have all that much time to write anything down. Things just buzz around my head and drive me alittle crazy every now and then... anyone else have that problem?

Yes. The hard thing is to get an opportune moment and just let it all out at once. Hence why I find late at night a good time to write, especially if I can't sleep. I find it soothing if I am struggling to get to bed. Try to set aside a bit of time especially for writing, even if you don't produce a lot in that time, it's good to have had that time to get things down and see how productive it was. Sometimes I come bcak to my poems and screw them up and put them in the bin, sometimes I think hey that's not half bad; but the point is that it's no longer just an idea, and something concrete, i.e. on paper, you won't forget.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd pop in and say 'Hi' I'm sitara amin tilly, relatively new to TSR.

I am a poet and writer. I have been writing for around 12 years now and I like to write poems mainly because I can't express my feelings vocally. So sorry for making you shocked if you see any of my posts.

Love and wishes

Sitara

Hi Sitara :hello:

I doubt I'll be shocked, I write poetry for exactly the same reason, so my poems are normally a little psycho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Esh)
    www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php last page, scroll down to 'Writers' Soc' and click 'Join this soc'. Then I can accept you

When writing book-wise, then comp all the way. If random inspirational things, then I prefer pen n paper, ['cos it flows better, and you can scribble thigns out.

A normal novel had about 90'000 words upwards. Our novel clocks in at around 180'000, which is rather large. Jayk if you've got over 100'000 and are a third of the way, then, yes, you may want to think aobut splitting it up into a trilogy or more/less.
    I think that 65-50,000 is around the average length for a modern novel - publishers are anxious to look at anything too long or too short - the constraints of modern life, apparently, mean that people no longer wish to read 200,000 word epics and would much sooner settle for short or 'flash fiction'. (What a load of tosh - flash fiction is for neo-conserve-o-crats with breifcases and cappucios as opposed to the real literarii).

Although saying that, my work is aimed to end up at around the 60,000 mark. More out of aesthetic choice though - 100,000 words would spread it out far too thinly.

EDIT
    -----
    I believe that a novella is around 20,000 words, with short stories and flash fiction falling under that mark. Publishers, apparently, will accept 60,000 in the least for novels and will often prefer more.

ReputationRep:
    :party: :fight:

I just like those smileys. I missed a lot in my unexcused short uneventful absence.

Nice use of smileys

I wrote two poems in my lecture on Friday cos the woman was so boring. Just thought I'd share that.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.