Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by madders94)
    Hope you're better now
    Everyone keeps telling me that but it's like... I know how I want the story to go, I just can't get myself to write it down, it seems to get lost somewhere along the way :laugh: maybe I'll have to leave it another couple of weeks :sad:
    Yeah I'm fine now.

Hmmm I get that. I think the worst points for me so far was writing the death of two characters I actually supremely cared about, I was so tempted to just give up the ending I had planned so that they could live, but then the premise of the book would have to completely change.

ReputationRep:
    Just had my first rejection after a successful year so far (had a short story aimed at 5/6-year-olds published in a kid's magazine this Feb) by Omninus Publishers for my first children's BOOK entitled "Volleyball Vesna".

Soo depressed atm! Apparently it wasn't what they were looking for and said it was too risky to publish in terms of sales, but I'm not gonna let this deter me and I'll send it off to another company before I tear it apart *Keeps being positive*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshah Pearson)
    Just had my first rejection after a successful year so far (had a short story aimed at 5/6-year-olds published in a kid's magazine this Feb) by Omninus Publishers for my first children's BOOK entitled "Volleyball Vesna".

Soo depressed atm! Apparently it wasn't what they were looking for and said it was too risky to publish in terms of sales, but I'm not gonna let this deter me and I'll send it off to another company before I tear it apart *Keeps being positive*
    Let me just point something out. You were that audience once, you were 5 or 6 once and you know what you liked to read, therefore they're saying that your book isn't suitable ... for you.

Don't back down, just take your book to some primary school kids, and gauge the actual response before emailing back with the data, maybe a reference of a teacher who can back it up and ask them to take a chance... (increase their markup by 5-10% as it's a chance).
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Also don't forget that JK Rowling got rejected by loads of publishers. So don't stop at just one or two...keep going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshah Pearson)

The tips the other two gave you are brilliant so I have nothing to add other than :console: :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Aww thanks guys! I'll definitely keep all that in mind And JK Rowling is one of my all time favourite role models xx

ReputationRep:
    Can I join? This society thread thing anyway My English is kind of bad, but it is not my mother tongue so I am allowed to make mistakes. :P I write too, two novels at the moment and some short stories and bits and bobs of everything.
    I find it hard to concentrate to one project long periods of time, so I have many projects going on simultaneously.
    One of them is dark urban fantasy and the other is more fairy tale like kind of urban fairy tale for maybe preteens.

ReputationRep:
    I'd really appreciate some feedback on some poetry, if anybody can just pm me please - That'd be a great help!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I discovered my talent for writing a few years ago by writing poems in the little spare time I had between A level coursework and revision for exams
    but I would enjoy hearing some of your ideas of what I could write for my feature film script for my university course

ReputationRep:
    Hello.. I've just joined the writer's society. I was a bit scared to join before but I've plucked up the courage now. I like writing as a hobby, and do a lot of short stories because I tend to get too excited and have to get the whole plot out quickly or I get bored! But I plan (hope) to write a full-length novel.
    ...It's not my profession or anything, but I love writing so, yeah, here I am. Hopefully I might get a bit more inspired by lurking around 'real' authors here.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a writing tumblr blog?

This is mine: http://mythsoftheheart.tumblr.com/

ReputationRep:
    My tumblr is disney/musicals but I have a blog which is usually about writing but just recently while I've been ill it's been more about life and stuff - www.madderlarr94.wordpress.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

I followed your tumblr, just looked at some of your writing and it's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    My tumblr is disney/musicals but I have a blog which is usually about writing but just recently while I've been ill it's been more about life and stuff - www.madderlarr94.wordpress.com
    I like the soliloquy about banning the internet.

(Original post by spacepirate-James)

Reading these tumblers has motivated me to start one... Yours are very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Is it OK for me to join this? I'm a budding writer, not sure if I'm any good but I'm going to try and start something when I'm not revising for GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    How do you join this group? :/

I'm a writer so would like to join

ReputationRep:
    My blog is here: nothing on writing as of yet, but I'll make another entry tomorrow.

http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    My blog is here: nothing on writing as of yet, but I'll make another entry tomorrow.

http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard
    That just takes you to tumblrs homepage :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    That just takes you to tumblrs homepage :yep:
    My bad. I'm using the Wordpress one in my signature now anyway, I prefer it...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    My bad. I'm using the Wordpress one in my signature now anyway, I prefer it...
    Ahh cool :yy:

Now I'm home for the holidays I'm trying to edit my book and finish it...problem is, when I think I'm a very different person now to when I was writing it, and am no longer sure I like the ending but I can't change it without making it a much worse book...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.