• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    Ok

Well, this is awkward 'cause I don't really know what to say :P

I'm Louise and I've always enjoyed writing. Usually I write short stories because I'm one of those people who starts to write something, but then gets a better idea and abandons it, but I am working on something longer at the moment by forcing myself to write at least 500 words a day. I've been through various phases of what genre I write and I've dabbled in fantasy,horror and crime, but at the moment I like writing romance. I also really like writing poetry, but I've only recently taken this up and at the moment everything I produce is awful haha :P Although I have to say I've found I enjoy writing poems more than prose now I've got into it.

So, what sort of stuff do you guys write?
    Have you tried something like NaNoWriMo? It's what pushed me from always changing my mind to actually writing something long :yep:

I write general fiction (how on the fence am I?!) I seem to prefer writing things with unhappy endings and worryingly I've realised most of my stories involve death of some kind. AWKWARD! Lol. However I'm an extremely happy person!

ReputationRep:
    Ok

I'm Louise and I've always enjoyed writing. Usually I write short stories because I'm one of those people who starts to write something, but then gets a better idea and abandons it, but I am working on something longer at the moment by forcing myself to write at least 500 words a day. I've been through various phases of what genre I write and I've dabbled in fantasy,horror and crime, but at the moment I like writing romance. I also really like writing poetry, but I've only recently taken this up and at the moment everything I produce is awful haha :P Although I have to say I've found I enjoy writing poems more than prose now I've got into it.

I've written a few short stories before too, always a good start to get into the swing of it!

And don't be daft, I'm sure what you've wrote will be very good! Is there a way I can see it somehow? Haha

Chad x

ReputationRep:
    Greeneyedgirl: I tried nanowrimo a couple of years ago and abandoned the attempt after about 3000 words :P What an epic fail! I'm gonna try it again this year though- maybe I'll have more luck now a-levels are done with Did you actually manage to complete it? If so, I'm impressed haha :')

You're the same as me xD I enjoy torturing my characters by giving them tragic deaths, in spite of being stupidly cheerful in real life :P A few deaths and a bit of misery makes writing so much more fun :P

Chad_Bronson: What sort of short stories do you like to write? Trust me, it isn't haha :P Uh yeah I guess eventually I'll work up the courage to post a poem here; I'm one of those folks who doesn't like other people reading what I've wrote haha :P
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Greeneyedgirl: I tried nanowrimo a couple of years ago and abandoned the attempt after about 3000 words :P What an epic fail! I'm gonna try it again this year though- maybe I'll have more luck now a-levels are done with Did you actually manage to complete it? If so, I'm impressed haha :')

You're the same as me xD I enjoy torturing my characters by giving them tragic deaths, in spite of being stupidly cheerful in real life :P A few deaths and a bit of misery makes writing so much more fun :P
    I tried nanowrimo two years ago and failed at about 3000 words, tried it this year and reached 50k with a few days to spare (just as well as had a few uni essays due in!)

It does, if I write happy stuff it just sounds sooooo cheesy and :puke:

ReputationRep:
    I just wrote a tiny short story (can't even be called a short story I don't think, just under 1000 words) in 15 minutes and although it's probably the worst piece of writing I've ever done, it's the one that I've had the most fun writing because it is basically a mickey take of all the Love Actually-type films, nerdy guy meets beautiful girl, they fall in love and live happily ever after

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've just joined The Writers' Society (just waiting for approval) and thought I'd make a quick introduction.

I go by Avéry and I'm writing my first (technically second) novel based on my own experiences in sixth form/college. I also did NaNoWriMo a few years ago and it really helped me to just write rather than editing and criticizing myself as I go. I'm shooting for 80,000 words at the moment and I'm currently on 12,000. There's a link to my writing blog in my signature if you want to have a look.

NaNo is a good idea. I did it too years ago and I ended on just over 30,000 words, more than I've ever written before scrapping the whole idea. It's a really good learning tool.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Joined (waiting for approal) but it seems other people are saying hey before they're accepted so - hello!

My name's Tina. I've been writing as a hobby for eleven years and I'm a published writer of both fiction (poetry; short stories) and non-fiction (newspaper articles in my local paper). I've been primarily writing novels for the past six years but I intend to give screenplay writing a go next month. My upcoming project is a psychological thriller/horror titled Underdosed but my usual genre is M/M romance.

Also, I'm surprised to see NaNoWriMo mentioned! I've participated and won six times (my username is Tatsuya) and I also assist in running two of it's spin-offs: JulNoWriMo & NaNoWriYe.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    Joined (waiting for approal) but it seems other people are saying hey before they're accepted so - hello!

My name's Tina. I've been writing as a hobby for eleven years and I'm a published writer of both fiction (poetry; short stories) and non-fiction (newspaper articles in my local paper). I've been primarily writing novels for the past six years but I intend to give screenplay writing a go next month. My upcoming project is a psychological thriller/horror titled Underdosed but my usual genre is M/M romance.

Also, I'm surprised to see NaNoWriMo mentioned! I've participated and won six times (my username is Tatsuya) and I also assist in running two of it's spin-offs: JulNoWriMo & NaNoWriYe.
    Woah published that's cool :yep:

Screenplay always seems fun to write, at some point I wanted to be a screenplay writer for a job, but now I've decided lecturing is more my thing :yep:

Well done on winning 6 times, very impressive! I'm guessing the spin offs are July and writing all year?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I tried screenplay writing when Script Frenzy launched but I only got to page 25. I'm hoping to work in film but in an area that is more hands-on than screenplay writing - but I doubt it'll hurt to take a shot at it.

Going for seven this year! Exactly that, yes. They've both been running for a long time, too: JulNo is in its 8th year and WriYe has been going for around the same length of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)

*gasp* You're Tatsuya! You are THE Tatsuya! I HAVE HEARD OF YOU. :excited: LOL I'm a little overexcitable...
    Do you participate in Camp NaNo? (It clashed with JulNo last year, right?)

Ok

Hey! First off: I love love LOVE your username! And welcome! (Hang on a minute... Did I even figure out how to join the Soc? :confused: )
    I used to do the exact same thing... It took me about seven or so months of constant writing (and reading a lot of new books) to figure out that I preferred fantasy, and when I started out my NaNo novel (I failed at 40K, but still) it quickly morphed into fantasy.
    My only advice is keep writing, whatever it is. Someday, hopefully sooner if you think about what you like, read a ton of books, and write even more than you read, you'll find something so strange and weird that you'll keep going at it. Or, if you look through your stories and what you enjoy reading, you may find trends in your work.
    That's what you enjoy writing! And once you've found it, maybe you'l feel more like planning a longer piece of work.
    Oh, and if you enjoy short pieces and poetry (because it is generally shorter) try signing up at figment.com
    They're really a great site, and they have awesome daily themes that you sign up for by email. Their contests are usually only open for US & Canadian citizens, but there's still a lot to do.
    And I can't say enough for NaNo. Camp NaNoWriMo starts for it's second month in August, so...
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by KythingToWrite)
    *gasp* You're Tatsuya! You are THE Tatsuya! I HAVE HEARD OF YOU. :excited: LOL I'm a little overexcitable...
    Do you participate in Camp NaNo? (It clashed with JulNo last year, right?)
    Should I be worried? :lol:
    I participated last year and won the July event (only because it clashed with JulNo) but failed in August. This year I signed up, forgot about it due to other things, and then I logged in this morning to find out that this year I'm that annoying cabin member who is completely inactive. So I had to apologise to them. ^^; All I've written this month is a short story titled A Boy Called Alice. x)

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!!!! This is my first time on this thread my name is Maisy by the way
    I've been writing as a hobby it's not a serious thing and i publish my stories on Wattpad. I'm trying to think of an appropriate pen name, any suggestions?
    Also i have a tendency to write anything that pops in my head, what i mean is that if i have a good idea i have to grab a piece of paper to write it down on paper and then it ends up sounding kind of diluted compared to how it was like in my head.
    I’ve never really joined any competitions like everyone else but I guess it’s because I’m new to writing, also might I add I’m 16
    So yeah....that's it really. Oh yeah! It would be really nice if anyone could give me advice being new to this and everything
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my name is Ben, I suppose I have tryed fantascy/Science fiction ,basically I write stories with a mix of both, like some have said recently, my stories are, um what you would call depressing or sad, espialy the one Iam trying to do so I have atleast one completed story, where the main character dies in the first chapter, the first chapter is basically like when a TV show, sort of shows you the end and then goes through how they go to that point. I however belive when I get to the end want a twist, anyway before I read theses posts I though, is it normal for a story to have a sad ending but I sort of though happy endings are allways to be expected and if you give them a sad one then it makes it more your book than another. In away you could say, going with a happy ending is generic?

ReputationRep:
    Chad_Bronson: What sort of short stories do you like to write? Trust me, it isn't haha :P Uh yeah I guess eventually I'll work up the courage to post a poem here; I'm one of those folks who doesn't like other people reading what I've wrote haha :P
    It's usually anything that comes to mind at the time - though with that in mind, my interests are more towards screenwriting - or writing scripts for film and TV Although I do have an interest in Psychology, so if something comes up psychology-related, I'll let you know

ReputationRep:
    I love researching for novels :awesome: currently reading the Zombie Survival Guide to try and figure out what the zombies are like and things like that in my current one :gah:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by madders94)
    I love researching for novels :awesome: currently reading the Zombie Survival Guide to try and figure out what the zombies are like and things like that in my current one :gah:
    Watch Shaun of the Dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Watch Shaun of the Dead
    Or better yet, watch Dead Reckoning. The acting, save Bogart of course, was so dry and unenthusiastic, one would easily think there was actually a brain gooifying parasite going about on that film set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Watch Shaun of the Dead
    I love that film :love: my parents can't bring themselves to watch it again, it actually scares them, but I love it
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by madders94)
    I love that film :love: my parents can't bring themselves to watch it again, it actually scares them, but I love it
    It is brilliant. Especially useful might be the "acting like a zombie" scene

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm having an issue writing a running scene, I'm not very good at writing fast pace scenes and usually I wouldn’t ask help instead I’d do it over and over again but I mostly just chuck it out; but my current story REALLY needs it. I always end up doing it too serious and I need it to be funny and humours.

If you could give me some idea or recommend any good films which contains some sort of running scene it would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.