Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here's something I started yesterday. Inspired by The Catcher in the Rye and also a little The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

One
    You sit down on the chair in your bedroom, or lie there on the bed with all the crap from college surrounding you in the peaceful mess you left it in. Or you sit on the sofa in the corner of the overly warm living room whilst everyone is around you being busy with the songs for the background music, or talking way too loud in their lover’s ear. Or they’re simply holding their friends in warm embraces, clinging tightly to the drink in their hand. You sit back because you don’t need to be a part of any of it really. You listen to everyone yelling and laughing and you think, am I really needed here? And real morbid things start coming into your head like, what if I died? Would anyone even notice if I were gone? All you really care about is what music you’re going to listen to on the way home and if your brother misses you. You don’t care about what everyone else is doing so you’re labelled indie. Or loner. And this is ridiculous considering you’re just, well, yourself. Not labelled or insincere. I heard my English teacher say that the other day when they were telling someone off. Insincere. I liked my English teacher. I’m not sure if he was saying out of context because he was real mad about something someone did. I think the guy made a remark about a girl. Maybe he was objectifying her or something. But anyway, I really liked this teacher. Not in that way, I know plenty people who have liked their teachers in that way. But I liked him because he actually taught us, and didn’t make us look at power-point presentations. And because I really liked him this much, that day I pledged to never be an insincere person. There was this girl called Trish I knew of and everyone hated her. And as soon as she died everyone pretended to love her. I guess they were being insincere without meaning to. It’s just expected of you to love someone when they die and I hate that. When I die I only want people who truly loved me to say they loved me. Which is probably only about five or so people, but even so it would be better than fifty insincere people saying they loved you and saying things like “she was such a dedicated student,” when everyone knows I flunked maths last year, and things like “she was always nice to everyone,” when surely that can’t be applied universally. Sure, I was nice enough to my friends and all but I could be such a ***** sometimes. And people say this stuff when people die, and then they go home and eat lasagne for dinner, and watch reality TV, and then they go to bed. That’s all that happens. Then the next day they wake up and go back to school or college or whatever and they have the best damn day of their lives, or the worst damn day, and then they come home again.

So that’s what happened at this New Year’s party. I was invited because I guess this guy liked me, but I’m never sure if guys really like me or not. I think he took pity on me because the only real friend I’ve ever had moved away last summer to go to another college. We were friends for ages, I don’t know how long for. But I really missed her, and you know when people say come out of your shell, I guess I kind of went back into mine. I never sat in the canteen at lunch and stuff, I’d just go to the library and write. Not anything in particular, I guess I just like the way the pen feels against the page. So he probably took that as a notion that I’m not one to make friends as well as others. If making friends was a class, I’d fail it. His name is James. Everyone likes to call him Jamie but I like to call him James. He thinks I’m funny for doing that, and said that nobody else ever calls him that. I’m the only one who does. People think I’m funny for a lot of things – I never try to be funny. They just laugh at funny notions I have. Stuff like when Darcy asked me “Hey Cleo, what are you doing this summer?” and I replied with painting my fence, which is what I was going to do. And everyone laughed. I don’t know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I've been rereading one of the stories which I part finished (in order that I can remember it enough to finish it) and I have to say with the exception of a few chapters which really don't seem to flow I'm really enjoying it and it's making me feel what I wanted it to make feel. I guess because I just let the characters write rather than having and plan and forcing the characters to write themselves my stories always have a kind of element of surprise to me when I'm writing them cos no idea where they are going, but it's great to see that even on a reread I'm enjoying it!

I love rediscovering old stuff I've written. Could you post a little bit of it here? If you don't mind ofc
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by harriet95)
    I love rediscovering old stuff I've written. Could you post a little bit of it here? If you don't mind ofc
    There's an info bit and excerpt on my nanowrimo http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants...ours-of-asovea

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm new to this society. I was wondering if I could have some advice/help on a super short story that I'm writing. I have been reading a lot of creepypastas recently and I have decided to write one myself. It is based off of the opening to another short story I read on Reddit (as that was when I got the idea). Here's what I have done so far;

“Just stay quiet sweetheart, it's going be alright,” he said.

She hugged him closely, shutting her eyes as she pressed her face to his warm chest. His arms held her tightly and his slow, deep breathing was rather comforting. She could make out their faint sounds just outside of the wardrobe.

She felt his shirt dampen with tears and her eyes began to water too. His tight hug began to loosen and she realised that she could no longer make out his heartbeat. His deep breathing suddenly stopped, but his shirt continued to dampen.

I want to build tension and at the same time get it across that his 'tears' are blood. Was that too obvious? Or maybe too unclear?
    I've been staring at this too long to know now.

What did you think? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spicey)
    Hello, I'm new to this society. I was wondering if I could have some advice/help on a super short story that I'm writing. I have been reading a lot of creepypastas recently and I have decided to write one myself. It is based off of the opening to another short story I read on Reddit (as that was when I got the idea). Here's what I have done so far;

“Just stay quiet sweetheart, it's going be alright,” he said.

She hugged him closely, shutting her eyes as she pressed her face to his warm chest. His arms held her tightly and his slow, deep breathing was rather comforting. She could make out their faint sounds just outside of the wardrobe.

She felt his shirt dampen with tears and her eyes began to water too. His tight hug began to loosen and she realised that she could no longer make out his heartbeat. His deep breathing suddenly stopped, but his shirt continued to dampen.

I want to build tension and at the same time get it across that his 'tears' are blood. Was that too obvious? Or maybe too unclear?
    I've been staring at this too long to know now.

What did you think? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    It's good, and gripping too. I think you should describe the pace to which his "tears" are falling. put a lot more detailing into the texture of his blood-tears, and give the girl more descriptive emotion too. Is she disgusted? Does she recoil? Is she angry at the fact she's lost him? Desperate to keep him? I as the reader would like to see a really detailed piece, and as its a short story you'd want to get as much out of it as possible.

I like it so far! I especially like the part where you haven't revealed who the enemy really is yet. Keep that mystery and splash in a twist where you'd least expect it. If I was writing it, I'd want to get a message across... like I'd make the enemy themselves, and the people they are running from are their inner most hates about themselves. Perhaps they're running away from a dark past rather than a ghoulish creature. But yeah I do love the mystery aspect of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriet95)
    Nice to meet you too - and someone who studied what I am applying to do in 2014! How did you find the course?

It sounds like you've tried and tested a lot of literary aspects - what, in your opinion, is the best part? Poetry? Novels? Short stories? Writing in general?

I really enjoyed the course - reading texts from different time periods and seeing how literature evolved through time. My personal favourite medium for writing is scripts: that's mainly what I write nowadays.

Anyone here written a film script, handed it to a friend to read only to have them come back and tell you it reminds them of another film? As that's literally just happened

On the plus side, it wasn't a rip off apparently (I wouldn't know as I haven't watched the film he's on about) but there are elements that are similar which is what worries me, if I were to try and get the script sold, where would I stand regarding the similarities, it's basically the premise although if you look at Hollywood, there are a lot of films with the same premise so maybe I'd be okay?

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Anyone here written a film script, handed it to a friend to read only to have them come back and tell you it reminds them of another film? As that's literally just happened

On the plus side, it wasn't a rip off apparently (I wouldn't know as I haven't watched the film he's on about) but there are elements that are similar which is what worries me, if I were to try and get the script sold, where would I stand regarding the similarities, it's basically the premise although if you look at Hollywood, there are a lot of films with the same premise so maybe I'd be okay?

Any suggestions?
    I reckon you'd be alright - but to see where your friend is coming from, maybe watch the film yourself and see what the similarities are? That way you know exactly how they're similar but also you can argue how they're different. Just gives you more ammo to support your own idea, in my opinion.

Good luck, anyway!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swan stardust)
    Hey guys
    does anyone write poetry?I write poetry for the most part but i love prose too-just have trouble sticking to one theme and being coherent
    I've recently got into writing it too
    I like prose too and drama but poems are shorter
    And does anyone know any poetry competitions an 18YO could enter? I'd like to see how I compare to other people :P

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    These ones may be useful
    Thanks I'll check them out, will you be entering?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing a science-fiction novel set in the future. It involves magicians and blowing up stuff. It's called 3003.

If I pasted a portion here would people want to comment on the quality? Is that what we do here :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't live in the UK and some of them are only for the UK so i'll check the ones that are either for Europe or international
    The 'Dream Quest One' competition is open to everyone and the deadline is tonight, just so you know

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks,i'll probably send!Will you?
    Yeah may as well do a poem, cba to write a short story now though :L

ReputationRep:
    Hey, is this a closed society or can anyone join?
    It's been a long while since I've written anything substantial but I'd like to get back into it again and this seems like the perfect place to do it without having to leave the comforts of home!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Katerzzz)
    Hey, is this a closed society or can anyone join?
    It's been a long while since I've written anything substantial but I'd like to get back into it again and this seems like the perfect place to do it without having to leave the comforts of home!
    Anyone can join :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I am in too !!!I love writing ,I want to study scriptwriting ))

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.