The Student Room Group

Did you go to private school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Awww, let me get my tiny violin out :frown:

I don't want your pity, you just fuel the disillusionment that is present between private and state pupils, unfortunately.
I'm as private school pupil by 'accident' - I didn't get into my local state schools (We don't have the grammar/ comprehensive system here and our local schools are really oversubscribed) so faced having to travel loads in the mornings or private school- and I hopefully am returning to the state sector for sixth form :smile:

Original post by Techroks
Currently in a private school. The school life is richer and the experience of studying here is great to compared to the state school i was in 2 years ago. I would say that some pupils here tend to look down on state school kids which always irritates me(as not all of them are as they think they are). The education is more of a close experience where the classes are small and pupils receive more attention and help but the level of students you get here makes the school even better. Its great to learn in a environment where everyone is thinking at a high level and it motivates you to improve yourself due to competition. I would say theres a reason for most private schools (i think, at least mine anyway) to do better than state schools in exams or Oxbridge success and i think that relies on the teaching as well as the candidates that the school has. So overall i think it is a pleasant experience. Saying that, i dont think state schools are by any means far off. Grammar schools are halfway between state and private schools in my opinion and if my parents were not affluent enough to send me here, then i wouldn't have any problem studying in a grammar school or even a state school if i wasn't smart enough. Whatever school you're in, its your hard work that results in grades but its easier to get them in private schools (imo due to the teachers) and have a better experience.

I agree! Some of my friends look down on state school pupils which is really annoying, and joke saying I'm a 'chav' as I've attended state schools. Private schools do make it easier to get the grades, but it means some people end up really sheltered and stuck up. Both my siblings attend our local state schools which are really good and I don't know why someone would chose private education over them.
We had no private schools in our area, and my father would never move anywhere. In fact, I had to go to the same secondary school as his family did, and I absolutely hated it there. It makes me wish I had gone to private school. I probably would have had a better education, as well as been able to actually make friends.
No but my girlfriend and her bother did, what I have noticed is that private schools can make you or break you. You either have a fantastic experience and come out with a great education (and a great contact list...which as you get older you realise is more important...sad but true) or it is a debilitating experience full of hazing, bullying and lack of acceptance which can haunt you for years after.

...and it gives you an irrational love of gillets
Where's the both option?

Private primary school and state secondary school. Different experiences, neither are better than each other when it comes to memories (at least the schools I went to).
Yes, I attended a private school for my secondary school education and it was an alright experience - could have been much better in my opinion but overall I'm still happy that I went to private school
Original post by GodAtum
no an all boys school, i didnt meet girls until uni.
Didn't you have social gatherings and parties with girls from a neighbouring private school or something?
Out of interest why would parents send their kids to private primaries but then state secondary?
I spent 4 years in a private girls' primary school. (Years 1-4 inclusive). Prior to that, I spent Reception year in a state school, and after Year 4 I spent the rest of my school years in state schools.
Original post by angelfox
Out of interest why would parents send their kids to private primaries but then state secondary?

They may have only been able to afford to do so for these early years. They may have heeded the evidence that these early years are vital to a child's future academic success but chosen not to spend on private education for the remainder.
Original post by xLittleMissyx
Yes, I have attended public school throughout the entirety of my life! :smile:

That's very fortunate, indeed!
Just how were the academics in private school, especially when it came down to studying?
Were students highly studious, independent and worked for extremely long hours? Or were vast amounts of private school students naturally smart (natural abilities) to ascertain new concepts and achieve academic success?
And on a overall conclusion, how was private school in general? The atmosphere?
The reason why I admire private school is because of the academics.
And how do private school students manage to get all A* in their academics?!
What are their secrets?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by inachigeek21
That's very fortunate, indeed!
Just how were the academics in private school, especially when it came down to studying?
Were students highly studious, independent and worked for extremely long hours? Or were vast amounts of private school students naturally smart (natural abilities) to ascertain new concepts and achieve academic success?
And on a overall conclusion, how was private school in general? The atmosphere?
The reason why I admire private school is because of the academics.
And how do private school students manage to get all A* in their academics?!
What are their secrets?

Are you being serious haha? :P I think academically public school students are no different to their state school counterparts! It is the quality of opportunity that differentiates the two :smile:
Reply 192
Original post by LaughingKitsune
We had no private schools in our area, and my father would never move anywhere. In fact, I had to go to the same secondary school as his family did, and I absolutely hated it there. It makes me wish I had gone to private school. I probably would have had a better education, as well as been able to actually make friends.

You and me both................................
Nearly 40% in this poll went to private school compared to less than 10% of students in the UK who go to private school... Just proves how skewed and unrepresentative the TSR community really is.

Quick Reply

Latest