The Student Room Group

Did you go to private school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by El-Presidente
No, because then our already bankrupt government has to cough up more money to pay for more kids to go to state schools on top of those brought here by mass immigration!

As for me, I'm still at a private school. I was watching something about private schools about 30 minutes ago lol. Mine is nothing like that, or at least in my friends group we're nothing like that. I actually have a massive dislike of the OTT snobbery you get in Southern private schools, but coming from Yorkshire up in t' north - we're cool :smile:.

If you don't mind me asking, What school are you at? : o
(Just because I'm at a private school in Yorkshire)
No, a girls' grammar school
To the people who went to both, what differences did you notice?
Original post by Baby Milo
Nope. Quite happy with the education I have due to working hard within the state system and more than happy with the money my parents saved for me in a bank account to use for a mortgage or to set up my own business later on in life. I'm doing just fine, thanks.

You do know that not every private school student is filthy rich and pays loads for their education, right? For example, I went to a private school, but I was there on a scholarship due to a combination of high grades and lower family income. Most of my friends also had their school fees subsidised. There were even years when me and another friend paid nothing at all in school fees.
No, why waste money on private education :erm:
Original post by Edminzodo
I know your school!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? How?
I was privately educated until I was 16.

I went to a mixed private primary school, I went to a mixed private school when I lived abroad (mainly due to the language barrier).

For my GCSEs I went to a all-girls private school, where I had 14 people in my class.
For my A-levels I wanted to try something new so I went to a 6th form college with ~1600 pupils. << Was quite a scary experience at first.
Original post by Jamie S
Really? How?

I know a few people, although not very well, who went there, and I've driven past it quite a few times as my relatives used to live really close to it.
Original post by Wilfred Little
To the people who went to both, what differences did you notice?

This might only apply to my schools -
Private school - less time spent on behavioural issues.
Exam factoryish
More independence required
Gain a lot more knowledge of wider issues
Surrounded by very intelligent people, pushes yourself further
Lessons move quickly, as in you go through topics very fast
Lessons are shorter, yet pack much more, less time wasting
Much more opportunities to join societies and go on trips

Public school - better Pastoral care
More people I can relate to
More people I know
Can get distracted easier
Not much intelligent conversation
Facilities are better
Some teachers are lazier
A lot of wasted time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZSHNZ
This might only apply to my schools -
Private school - less time spent on behavioural issues.
Exam factoryish
More independence required
Gain a lot more knowledge of wider issues
Surrounded by very intelligent people, pushes yourself further
Lessons move quickly, as in you go through topics very fast
Lessons are shorter, yet pack much more, less time wasting
Much more opportunities to join societies and go on trips

Public school - better Pastoral care
More people I can relate to
More people I know
Can get distracted easier
Not much intelligent conversation
Facilities are better
Some teachers are lazier
A lot of wasted time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was your Private school Religious or not because I can say both in America (none religious, but american private schools are very different on pastoral care from friends, and personal experience) and a British coed roman catholic, which also strives for inclusivity and showing politesse and douceur
Original post by ZSHNZ
Oh, whys that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd also be of the same view. Looking at the kind of facilities people at private schools have access to makes you a lot more proud of your own achievements that you've attained without them.
Original post by Alastair H
Was your Private school Religious or not because I can say both in America (none religious, but american private schools are very different on pastoral care from friends, and personal experience) and a British coed roman catholic, which also strives for inclusivity and showing politesse and douceur

It isn't* religious, no. & I currently go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
I'd also be of the same view. Looking at the kind of facilities people at private schools have access to makes you a lot more proud of your own achievements that you've attained without them.

What are you referring to when you say 'kind of facilities'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZSHNZ
What are you referring to when you say 'kind of facilities'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good learning environments, pupils who want to learn, enthusiastic and motivational teachers, a building that isn't actually falling to pieces, a laboratory with half-decent equipment, good university preparation, enrichment opportunities, small class sizes...
I did during primary school

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. I attended a regular school with a ~50% 5 A*-C passing rate.
Yes
Original post by miser
I went to private school up until Year 3. From Year 4 onwards I was in public school.

I think you mean state school. Public schools are elite private schools.
nope, way too poor to go to private school, although part of me wishes i'd applied for a scholarship to the local posh school
Reply 119
Original post by Birkenhead
I think you mean state school. Public schools are elite private schools.

Yes, you're right, I guess that's an Americanism.

Quick Reply

Latest