?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Null
sarsoora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That pay sounds tooo low! Ask them about it - you might have been paid in arrears I think..

I recently started my first job too and I am SO confused about tax deductions etc. I did get a P45 form in the post yesterday though.

Are you on a gap year or studying?

klika89
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you get your payslip? The rate and all deductions will be there.
Stickman
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
On your payslip it should show if there any deductions.

If this is your first job and you are unfairly paying tax when you shouldn't be, you need to contact HMRC (tax department) asking them your tax code. They should also relay this information to your employer and so then you will not pay tax and you will be refunded of all the tax you have paid thus far.

I suggest that if this is your first job, I believe you are paying tax when you shouldn't be and the first 10k or so that you earn this year is untaxable. Let the tax department know you won't be earning more than the tax free threshold and it'll be fine.

In your contract does it tell you your annual base salary?
Emma:-)
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by demonarkia)
I recently began working at M&S and am unsure as to how much I get paid because my hourly wage wasn't displayed on the forms I signed and I never received any paper work through the post, but I'm going to go with roughly what others seem to earn for being a Christmas temp and say around £6.50.

My contract is 20 hours, 2 weekdays, and Saturday and Sunday, and I work a few extra hours here and there, so say around 25. My wages were recently paid into my account, and I was paid about £120. Considering I worked about 22.5 hours last week, this sounds quite low? I don't know whether it's just me being stingy or not, but I'm a baby when it comes to this sort of thing and don't know the first thing about paying tax or whatever.

Should tax be being deducted from my wages at all considering I'm only contracted to 20 hours a week and I'm 19? I have absolutely no idea. Does this pay sound too low? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Have you got your payslip?
Everything should be on there.
If you have been taxed, then contact the tax office to sort it.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't need tax deducted.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by demonarkia)
I recently began working at M&S and am unsure as to how much I get paid because my hourly wage wasn't displayed on the forms I signed and I never received any paper work through the post, but I'm going to go with roughly what others seem to earn for being a Christmas temp and say around £6.50.

My contract is 20 hours, 2 weekdays, and Saturday and Sunday, and I work a few extra hours here and there, so say around 25. My wages were recently paid into my account, and I was paid about £120. Considering I worked about 22.5 hours last week, this sounds quite low? I don't know whether it's just me being stingy or not, but I'm a baby when it comes to this sort of thing and don't know the first thing about paying tax or whatever.

Should tax be being deducted from my wages at all considering I'm only contracted to 20 hours a week and I'm 19? I have absolutely no idea. Does this pay sound too low? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
I presume you're paid weekly as you're a temp.

6.50 x 20 = 130

Take off breaks and that sounds about right to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads