Turn on thread page Beta

What would the world be like if the internet died? watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Say the internet crashed for some mysterious reason and no-one could get online after becoming so reliant on the internet.

What do you think would happen to the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Say the internet crashed for some mysterious reason and no-one could get online after becoming so reliant on the internet.

Nothing much - we used to live once without the internet :yep:
    But to the people of TSR - No debating wohoo!!

ReputationRep:
    A sharp surge in Lads Mags' sales.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Mary562)
    Nothing much - we used to live once without the internet :yep:
    But to the people of TSR - No debating wohoo!!
    This is very true but now everything is geared up to be run by the internet... what about businesses and stocks and communicating with friends who live half way across the world and people who work on the internet?? Would it be so easy to go back to the way things were?

ReputationRep:
    This is very true but now everything is geared up to be run by the internet... what about businesses and stocks and communicating with friends who live half way across the world and people who work on the internet?? Would it be so easy to go back to the way things were?
    :confused:
    Travel there!
    Go to the library

ReputationRep:
    We would be screwed, well and truly buggered.

Our entire economy uses the internet, without the internet there would be mass hysteria.

ReputationRep:
    The world would descend into utter chaos, to the extent that it's hard to imagine how bad things would be.

ReputationRep:
    Video rental would become a viable business again :lol:

In all seriousness, our GDP would take a considerable hit. Sure the high street would get a boost but it wouldn't make up for the loss of the internet.

Lived without the internet for a month when I moved into a new flat. Me and my mates did nothing but read and constantly watch movies. Was quite strange, but I did enjoy it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The lack of kittens would be the least of our problems. Given that the entire world economy is completely reliant on the internet, the entire stock market would instantly implode given that the entire infrastructure would have suddenly become defunct and the chaos would start from there.

ReputationRep:
    Crime would increase. Riots and looting would ensue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    The lack of kittens would be the least of our problems. Given that the entire world economy is completely reliant on the internet, the entire stock market would instantly implode given that the entire infrastructure would have suddenly become defunct and the chaos would start from there.
    Precisely. Even industries like farming depend on the Internet. Overrides probably exists, but would simple things like street lights go on without the Internet?

A world of darkness would result in total anarchy and the world would become a living Hell.

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned above, countries would potentially collapse and commerce would be hit so hard.

Consider Amazon... it would be finished.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by pane123)
    Precisely. Even industries like farming depend on the Internet. Overrides probably exists, but would simple things like street lights go on without the Internet?

A world of darkness would result in total anarchy and the world would become a living Hell.
    Well I think "living hell" is probably an exaggeration, exceedingly difficult and uncomfortable would probably be more accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    In all seriousness, our GDP would take a considerable hit. Sure the high street would get a boost
    Nope. No card transactions, no way to take money out etc etc. Everywhere would grind to a halt. We are so reliant on the Internet these days

ReputationRep:
    A better place.. tbh degrees would be tougher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Even if we assume it only happened in the UK, the impact would be catastrophic.

Firstly the economy would collapse overnight with resultant employment collapsing. With an existing deficit we would default, several times to the extent that the Eurozone would collapse, Japan would be forced to default and the resultant chain could cause a global recession as everybody with a more than a hundred or so bilion of our debt rolls over. Successive governments would likely collapse.

Worst of all, the TSR males would largely be confined to no female contact and eternal virginhood.

Would it be like Die Hard 4.0 then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Nope. No card transactions, no way to take money out etc etc. Everywhere would grind to a halt. We are so reliant on the Internet these days
    I'm sure we could revert back to our previous systems within a few months.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

Definitely won't be able to watch Game of Thrones so that'd be a sad sad world

ReputationRep:
    Well I think "living hell" is probably an exaggeration, exceedingly difficult and uncomfortable would probably be more accurate.
    When I said 'living hell' I was referring only to a world of darkness, in which almost every crime imaginable would increase at an exponential rate.

I remember reading an interesting study on human psychology and darkness but I am struggling to find it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.