Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    shoot

on a side-note is Father Christmas now an archaism in Britain, do we all intuitively refer to him as Santa Claus?

P.S. Sorry if I ruined your childhood
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    They never pretended to be him, but it was always suspicious when "santa's" handwriting was identical to my Mum's :holmes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    They would leave a carrot cookie and milk for santa and his reindeers when i was young.

This turned into either vodka and cokes or wine and pistachio nuts and other snacks. Things changed as i learned
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When I was a child, and being this way inclined, my parents and I attempted to outmanoevre each other on the question of Father Christmas. Trusting my parents, I told them I intended to catch a glimpse of him delivering my presents and maybe say thank you. Naturally they didn't like the sound of that at all, and promptly told me that if I laid eyes on him, he would disappear and I would get no presents at all.

I thought about this for a little while. I decided it was better to see Father Christmas than to get presents. I resolved to stay up to catch him in the act, so on Christmas Eve, I laid down in bed, pretending to sleep.

As soon as I heard the faintest sound I opened my eyes in an instant! I looked out and what did I see? Presents... I had fallen asleep!

Next year would be different.

The following year I schemed in secret and devised an elaborate plan that was sure to work. I had a Space Troopers toy spaceship with a siren button on top - when you press the button the siren came on and blue lights flashed. I wouldn't sleep through the night this time.

I set my bedroom waste basket against the door in such a way that the opening motion of the door would cause it to topple, landing on the Space Troopers siren button. I tested the mechanism several times to ensure it would work. I would fall asleep, the siren would go off, and I would catch a glimpse of Father Christmas. I went to bed, ready.

It was many years before I found out what my parents had thought about my experiments. I sympathise with them now, though I still wish I'd caught them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mine never did anything exuberant - they just ate the carrot and milk I'd left out for 'Santa'. They never did snow on the carpet or anything, though.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.