The Student Room Group

Badges are live.... beta rollout!

Scroll to see replies

Badges are useless, just like the follow button.
Original post by addylad
(...)Now trying to defend it.

No, that is not my purpose. I think the badges want be more sense, if they are awarded for honorable members or proper occasions. So a badge can be awarded for instance whenever a member has an anniversary on TSR, say 10 years membership. Even an award for helpful members would make sense, but for this occasions there is the member of the year vote, isn't it? but why not? why the badges should not be awarded after such a vote for the best members, say the first, the second and the third?
Original post by Kallisto
No, that is not my purpose. I think the badges want be more sense, if they are awarded for honorable members or proper occasions. So a badge can be awarded for instance whenever a member has an anniversary on TSR, say 10 years membership. Even an award for helpful members would make sense, but for this occasions there is the member of the year vote, isn't it? but why not? why the badges should not be awarded after such a vote for the best members, say the first, the second and the third?

I wasn't referring to you.

The votes for 'best' posters are just popularity contests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
I wasn't referring to you.

The votes for 'best' posters are just popularity contests.

Fair enough. So I have no idea how the importance of these badges can be increased.

Original post by King Leonidas
Badges are useless, just like the follow button.

Agree!! the follow button is so annyoing.
Remove this gay crap from my page immediately.
Original post by Kallisto
Fair enough. So I have no idea how the importance of these badges can be increased.

They can't really. TSR is putting recognition above interaction. In other words, it's all about accumulating pointless stuff rather than being part of a community.

Something which I don't think has been raised yet: has the CT considered that people will scour the unanswered threads, and post in areas where they do not have expertise, just to get badges?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
(...)
Something which I don't think has been raised yet: has the CT considered that people will scour the unanswered threads, and post in areas where they do not have expertise, just to get badges?

From this point of view the introduction of badges was a failure - and a waste of money.
Reply 307
Original post by addylad
They can't really. TSR is putting recognition above interaction. In other words, it's all about accumulating pointless stuff rather than being part of a community.

Posted from TSR Mobile

These distinctions would be more deserved if they were awarded by mods or after elections, rather than automatically.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Josb
These distinctions would indeed be deserved if they were awarded my mods or after elections, rather than automatically.

I cannot make any sense of your post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 309
Original post by addylad
I cannot make any sense of your post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I edited, I hope it's better now.:biggrin:
i literally see no point in this *******s; who will even care?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Josb
These distinctions would be more deserved if they were awarded my mods or after elections, rather than automatically.

Possibly, but I can't see TSR HQ adding to the workload of mods; they have enough on their plate sifting through each post and carding it because it could possibly one day offend someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I quite like the badges. And I don't think that they are childish :smile:. Another website I am a member of has had badges for many years - lots of different ones, in fact - and its membership is, on the whole, older than the membership of TSR.

To be fair, it is a writing website, and a good portion of the badges are genre related. The system is different as well - members can give badges to other members, for example if they really love their work, or they can be won in writing contests. Some badges can only be given out by moderators, senior moderators and staff. (For some examples - http://www.writing.com/main/profile/community/kittiara ). TSR is a forum, though, so it has a whole different set-up, and they have to figure out how to make it work, and how it make it work fairly.

We're only in the early stages of the badge system, and I am sure that there will be tweaks along the way. Why dismiss it before it's even properly got started?
Reply 313
Original post by Kittiara
I quite like the badges. And I don't think that they are childish :smile:. Another website I am a member of has had badges for many years - lots of different ones, in fact - and its membership is, on the whole, older than the membership of TSR.

To be fair, it is a writing website, and a good portion of the badges are genre related. The system is different as well - members can give badges to other members, for example if they really love their work, or they can be won in writing contests. Some badges can only be given out by moderators, senior moderators and staff. (For some examples - http://www.writing.com/main/profile/community/kittiara ). TSR is a forum, though, so it has a whole different set-up, and they have to figure out how to make it work, and how it make it work fairly.

We're only in the early stages of the badge system, and I am sure that there will be tweaks along the way. Why dismiss it before it's even properly got started?

Not to mention reddit.

There is no point having two systems with overlapping aims. Badges and rep overlap. Some badges depend on being repped! How bizarre.

Also, as I mentioned before, people will reply to any thread to try to get badges. Badge-fishing will be the new norm, along with rep-whoring, and mod/CT brown-nosing.

Why support something before its use has actually been justified? She-Ra already mentioned that there is no strategy whatsoever. They're just going to 'develop' it, whatever that means.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
There is no point having two systems with overlapping aims. Badges and rep overlap. Some badges depend on being repped! How bizarre.

Also, as I mentioned before, people will reply to any thread to try to get badges. Badge-fishing will be the new norm, along with rep-whoring, and mod/CT brown-nosing.

Why support something before its use has actually been justified? She-Ra already mentioned that there is no strategy whatsoever. They're just going to 'develop' it, whatever that means.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do people really practice rep-whoring? There's no point, is there? With neg rep gone, anyone who's been here long enough will have a decent amount of rep. Personally, I don't care about the amount of rep gems that I have. I mean, what does it matter? :dontknow:

I figure it will be the same for the badges. Maybe a small amount of people will actively pursue them, but I reckon most people will just get on with their forum activity as usual, and if they happen to get a badge, hey, cool. I just see it as the same as on the writing website. I do what I do, and if I receive a badge it's a nice surprise.

Plus, on here, I see it as a way to recognise those people who do place a lot of effort into helping others. Like the people in study help. I do admit that how the badges are awarded can do with someone analysis, though. I guess that they are setting the bar low for the first levels, to encourage members to participate around the site, but the higher levels will reward those who are genuinely helpful. And that won't be the badge-fishing people, but those who put proper thought and effort into it.
Reply 317
Do people really practice rep-whoring? There's no point, is there? With neg rep gone, anyone who's been here long enough will have a decent amount of rep. Personally, I don't care about the amount of rep gems that I have. I mean, what does it matter? :dontknow:

Nobody apparently cared about rep. That was why it was so critical to take away neg rep. Because it could have been used for bullying. When nobody cared about it. Right.

Personally I think the old system played an important part. Not so much in how many green gems a member had, but how many red ones. At a glance you would know that there was a good chance the member was unreliable.

Rep was also important on individual posts - immediate indication of the standing of a piece of advice.

The badges are the opposite. A member could continuously dispense bad advice ( a la ISA) but have loads of badges, thus appearing reliable.
Reply 318
Original post by Clip
Rep was also important on individual posts - immediate indication of the standing of a piece of advice.

Er, no. Rep on a post is just an indication on how many people agree with an opinion, or find a joke funny. Rep as an indicator of credibility has never been a thing, and badges are not designed to do that either.
Original post by Dez
Er, no. Rep on a post is just an indication on how many people agree with an opinion, or find a joke funny. Rep as an indicator of credibility has never been a thing, and badges are not designed to do that either.

What's the point of having them then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending