British Muslims face worst job discrimination of any minority group, acc. to research Watch

sarsoora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
British Muslims face worst job discrimination of any minority group, according to research - The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...p-9893211.html

Do you think this is true?

If you were a non-Muslim employer, would you hire a non-Muslim over a Muslim - given they were equally well-suited for the job?

Muslims - does this make you feel nervous about getting a job in the future?

(Please be respectful in the comments - no debating religion!)

indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was discussing this with my friend yesterday

But just take a look at the comments^ I think it makes it very clear that people think it's justified o.o
ClickItBack
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sarsoora)
British Muslims face worst job discrimination of any minority group, according to research - The Independent

If you were a non-Muslim employer, would you hire a non-Muslim over a Muslim - given they were equally well-suited for the job?

As a non-Muslim, it is quite evident that these days it is almost legitimate in the eyes of an alarming proportion of society to spew racism against all Muslims. Sadly, I do think a Muhammad on a CV would have worse outcomes than a George, Georgina, Oluwole, Ajay or Shen.

Edit: OK, I've skimmed the article and despite what I said above I have to point out that it is total *******s. All they've quoted are statistics that Muslims are less likely to be in work than other ethnic groups. That says nothing about discrimination at all - it could be down to a host of other factors, such as poorer education, qualifications, or more of a benefits culture in the community.

One day maybe journalists will get a clue about inference ...
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Intresting
The Juan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Go to Muslim countries and not only will you not get a job but most likely be killed, raped, enslaved and singled out. Look at the countries now, persecution of Christian, Jewish, natives, small minority populations.
sarsoora
Rep:
?
(Original post by ClickItBack)
As a non-Muslim, it is quite evident that these days it is almost legitimate in the eyes of an alarming proportion of society to spew racism against all Muslims. Sadly, I do think a Muhammad on a CV would have worse outcomes than a George, Georgina, Oluwole, Ajay or Shen.

Edit: OK, I've skimmed the article and despite what I said above I have to point out that it is total *******s. All they've quoted are statistics that Muslims are less likely to be in work than other ethnic groups. That says nothing about discrimination at all - it could be down to a host of other factors, such as poorer education, qualifications, or more of a benefits culture in the community.

One day maybe journalists will get a clue about inference ...
Why would a Muhammad on a CV have worse outcomes?

Thanks for your input
sarsoora
Rep:
?
(Original post by R Dragon)
I was discussing this with my friend yesterday

But just take a look at the comments^ I think it makes it very clear that people think it's justified o.o
The comments are a bit saddening.

What are your thoughts?
AJExeter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sarsoora)

Do I think it's true? Probably.
Do I think it's right? No.

Would I hire a non-Muslim over an equally qualified Muslim? Depends on the job but in a lot of cases, yes I would.

If there were the possibility that any of the responsibilities involved in the job were things that the Muslim could not do due to their religion then I wouldn't even consider hiring them. If there was even the slimmest possibility that at some point in the future I would have to encounter the "I can't do that, my religion doesn't allow it" argument then their application would be going straight in the bin.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Juan)
Go to Muslim countries and not only will you not get a job but most likely be killed, raped, enslaved and singled out. Look at the countries now, persecution of Christian, Jewish, natives, small minority populations.
This isn't a competition as to who can devise a ****ter country.
The Juan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
This isn't a competition as to who can devise a ****ter country.
You can not criticise the English when if things were reversed treatment against us would be exponentially worse. You have no right to even bring up such an issue.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Juan)
You can not criticise the English when if things were reversed treatment against us would be exponentially worse.
It's not the fault of British muslims that Saudi Arabian society is hostile and backward.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it true? I would say most probably.

Is it justified? Of course not. You should not treat anyone differently just because of their religion or whatever else.

Everyone should be treated based on their own merits.
Catholic_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had a job interview in North London and everybody in the office was Muslim. The Business was owned by a Muslim as well. In all there was 7 employees.

Did I get the job? No. If I was Muslim would that have helped? Yes.

Rarely do you ever see Black/Pakistani owned businesses with non Black/Pakistani employees.
UniMastermindBOSS
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When they're applying for jobs in supermarkets and refusing to sell pork and alcohol I'm not surprised. I would hire a non-muslim over a muslim (if both were equally suited) just to avoid any religious issues, since this isn't a muslim country.
sarsoora
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Is it true? I would say most probably.

Is it justified? Of course not. You should not treat anyone differently just because of their religion or whatever else.

Everyone should be treated based on their own merits.
TSR won't let me give you rep but thank you for your comment
sarsoora
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catholic_)
I had a job interview in North London and everybody in the office was Muslim. The Business was owned by a Muslim as well. In all there was 7 employees.

Rarely do you ever see Black/Pakistani owned businesses with non Black/Pakistani employees.
Very true. We all have to work together in order to prevent different 'groups' of people being excluded from each other.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm muslim and although maybe not a full time job being 1st year at uni.

I've managed to secure multiple internships/experiences at Investment Banks where on applications I specified my religious background (probably the most stereotypical white upperclass institutions).

Although I'm not representitive of the bigger picture and idk about other places of work, I do think this whole thing is blown a little out of proportion. If it means muslims have to grind harder for grades/experiences, so be it.. world's not fair, who gives a ****. Each to their own.
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Possibly, but no more and likely far less than a Jew would face going for a job in a Muslim area.
There are bigots in all communities.
-Native Briton-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I firmly believe that British muslims would treat British non Muslims far worse.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Catholic_)

One wonders why they bothered with the formality of an interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise